Status: Critical editing process occurring as of June 29th, 2013.

In 102 Languages I Love You

Je t'aime

White and blue balloons shaped in an arc covered the main wall of the small gymnasium of Belleville Middle School. The floors had been polished squeaky clean, leaving an unpleasant glow to reflect against the feet of those in presence of the 8th grade graduation. Many parents, siblings, aunts, and grandparents sat in plastic fold-up chairs placed so close to their neighbor that it was almost claustrophobic and uncomfortable. It was easy to tell that this town was not rich enough to pay taxes that could go into decorating a semi - decent ceremony.

In the back sat a frustrated mother, and a young confused 10 year-old, waiting impatiently for the ceremony to begin.

"Honey, this is the last time I'm going to tell you! I'm not kidding anymore Madison, so please stop playing with your hands! The twitching is not funny."

It wasn't the ten year olds fault - she couldn't help it, and she wasn't pretending either. Something inside of her developing body was making her fingers tremble and spazz out, occasionally making her fingers twitch. Her mother, thinking she was playing around, had asked her to stop numerous times before getting annoyed. The little girl was getting frustrated herself and tears began to squeeze out of her thin eyelids when she realized she couldn't stop.

"Mommy I can’t. Mommy I'm sorry..."

The concerned mother looked down immediately at her daughter, getting even more impatient and annoyed at all the loud chatter that filled her ears. It was her oldest son's middle school graduation, and with no husband or father in the picture she represented both of them here today. She could tell something serious was happening because Madison wasn't the type of girl to cry over anything. So, when tears were streaming down her cheeks the mother definitely worried.

"I ........I-I c-cant stop."

The ten year old girl wasn't exactly sure why the tears were oozing out of her eyes, and cascading down her cheeks either. She never cried over little things. Madison had always been a 'good girl'. She'd never bring attention to herself. She wasn't some whiny, self-centered, bubbly girl like the girls in her fourth grade class were. They all had a mommy and a daddy. All Madison had was her mother, and her older brother, Daniel. She was taught that not everything revolved around her at a young age, and to keep her mouth shut when necessary. She wasn't used to getting her mother this annoyed, and that's why she was frustrated.

As Madison's fingers continued fidgeting her mother began to worry even more. Jennifer looked up at all the students sitting in rows in front of the parents, their backs to them. Everyone in the room waited for the principle to begin so this could be over with. As thoughts raced through her head all she could think about was how she couldn't leave her son’s big day.

Jennifer looked back down at Madison. 'This could wait,' she told herself. A smile played at her lips, displaying her teeth at Madison and taking her delicate pale hands into her own. They felt a bit bony, and too fragile. She intertwined both their fingers, and felt Madison's muscles jump through her own hand. 'This isnt normal', the mother thought to herself. She wiped away Madison's tears with her thumb, and waited for the assembly to continue.

Neither of them knew it yet, but what Madison had was more than 'not normal.'


Madison:
Deadly bruises, deadly touches


"I'm not repeating myself anymore Madison. You know what the doctor says about exercise, right? It's a beautiful day out, so please go for a walk!" Mother interrogates.

I roll my eyes, pulling my hoodie close to my chest as I cross my arms. "I can take a walk around the house! I can walk through the living room into the kitchen and lead myself through all the rooms. Why does it have to be out there? I'm fine in here!" I argue with her for about the tenth time today.

Mom narrowed her eyes at me, and her lips curled. "Madison, you're as pale as a ghost! You need to go out and smell some fresh air, smell the life..." She quickly shut herself up as her last word left the tip of her tongue. I'd expect her to be more careful on choosing her words by now. It's not like I really cared anyway. 'Life' wasn't shining bright in my future. She lets out a long over dramatic sigh before continuing. "Just go Madison, please."

I grunted, trotting the other way, mumbling something she wouldn't be able to hear under my breath. My legs were feeling a bit like jelly today, but they were actually sturdier then yesterday. I press my face against the living room window, pushing aside the old heavy curtains. The sun was really trying to burn down this neighborhood. That didn't stop me from keeping my hoodie on, and bringing the hood over my head. I had jeans on, and knew I'd probably be sweating like a dog, but I didn't care. Not as long as I wasn't visible to the world.

I stepped out of the house, and was quickly met with the sun attacking my exposed skin and the site of my beautiful neighborhood. It's strange feeling to know I've been living in the same town, and in the same house my whole life - which would be seventeen years to be exact - yet I didn't know much about this place at all. I can't wander too far without getting lost. I didn't know my neighbors or any kids at all, far less much teenagers my age, either. I remembered this one girl from my fourth grade class. She drew flowers pretty well, and everyone envied her for it, but I highly doubt she remembers me. Even back then i was one of the kids that usually slipped under to the radar to most, even adults.

I kept my face to the floor, looking at my own feet as I walked to make sure I didn't trip over anything. After about five minutes of going in the same direction, I decided that had been enough exercise, and changed my direction back to my house. If anything bad ever happened, at least I would be close to home. A rock soon appeared in front of me, and out of pure boredom my leg extended to kick it - and that's when I heard the voice from behind me.

"Frank, watch out!"

My attention was turned quickly behind me. I spun around looking to see who was doing all the yelling. Before I could actually get my muscles to move, or to react to anything I felt a body push against me, a boy's face came into view, and I felt myself falling to the floor with him. Everything slowed down suddenly as he knocked me onto the floor, and I tried to grab on to him to pull me back. It wasn't much of an effort because I ended up on the floor; my butt landing before me and my back hitting against the pavement as this Frank tried not to topple me over.

People like me aren't those people who are allowed much physical contact. People like me are not allowed to fall this hard on pavement without being in more pain than any normal teenager. I let out a scream of agony as my back and my shoulder were throbbing in pain. I could already start to feel the spots were bruises would be formed, and cuts sliced open. Don't cry, don't cry, don't cry, don't cry! I don't allow myself to show others I'm weak, not this easily.

"Holy sh-! Oh god, I'm sorry, I'm sorry!"

His voice...it sounded like he was concerned? Like he cared? The whole he part was rather strange, to. There was never another he in my life besides my brother Daniel.

"Oh fuck," he said, again sounding out of breath. I felt his hands on my shoulders, trying to pull me up quickly. His long fingers pressed against my hoodie, and his arms cradled me safely. His touch was a bit scary, different, and overwhelming. I had never actually touched another boy before though, and this made me nervous.

My eyelids were opening, and closing, only seeing black spots when I tried opening them, and only to be closed by the blinding rays of the sun. My house was right beside me, that's all I knew.

"Mikey, hel-"

"Madison!!"

Mom, I thought.

I let a small whimper pass my lips as my body ached all over again, and my fingers twitched. My focus still wasn't clear; everything was foggy.

"Dan! Dan! Get out here, Madison has fallen!"

I felt like a helpless little kid. A kid who can't wander too far without getting lost, a kid who constantly needs a mother by her side, a kid who can't do too many physical things without being in danger.

"I-Im really sorry," the voice of the guy came again. I tried to keep the tone of his voice recorded in my head, never to forget.

"Let go of her!" My mother growled. I felt my body shifting into someone else's arms, and then feet were heard slapping against the pavement quick, running off in some other direction. I felt moms long, thin fingers running through my dark hair, hair I had inherited from her. Soft re-assuring words cooed at my ears, before she spoke again.

"Dan...Dan be careful, be careful, the doctor said she can't be handled too roughly."

I tried to scream, I tried to mumble something. I tried, but when is trying ever enough?

"I'm sorry for letting you out Madison, I'm sorry. You're never going out again, ever."

I wanted to yell out, be heard, and get out of my brother's grasp. I wanted to run in the opposite direction, to the voice...that voice...his voice.
♠ ♠ ♠
Edited June 29th, 2013.