Status: Critical editing process occurring as of June 29th, 2013.

In 102 Languages I Love You

Tom ho' ichema

Madison:
Definition of 'teenagers'


I tapped my knee's impatiently with my long uncared for nails, waiting for my mom to speak. I was longing to run out of this house to Clara's house party, and wanted so badly to be free and actually attend because of my curiosity. My throat felt dry and stingy and I got chills on the edges of my arms. Mom, just talk already!

I don't know why I thought I needed to look good. I felt as if I was going to be nothing compared to the pretty, tall girls all around me at Clara's party. Even if I didn't know Frank was going, (with Whitney most likely at his side), I wanted to look good. Every girl should look like a beautiful princess once in a while. I went on a whole hour arguing with myself before settling on my wardrobe. I had decided on Bermuda Jean shorts and a bright sun colored spaghetti strap shirt over it. My blue converse partnered up with thin white socks. I wasn't too big on the whole makeup thing either. Most of the time I'd just apply on a bit of eyeliner and I was done. This time I took my time on putting on mascara and adding light yellow eyeshadow with a thin strip of white over it. To top it off, I applied on lip moisturizer, and ta da, Madison was ready.

I shifted uncomfortably away from Mom, still waiting for her to speak. She still didn't know whether to let me go or not. She can't just say no after she sees me ready!
If she wasn't ready to talk I was, and I had good reasons behind my interrogation.
"Mom, you are aware that I'm 17? You are aware I am a teenager, right? That I need friends and a life?"

She scoffed and shifted in her spot. "Of course I know that Madison. It's just..it's hard, especially this all being you. I don't want you doing stupid things, making terrible decisions. You're in this process of entering the adult world. I don't want to see you.." She trailed off and looked in a sort of trance. She was being pessimistic. She was imagining the worst for me.

"Mom, how am I supposed to learn if I don't make mistakes? Let me make mistakes!"

At the end of my last words a knock at the door caught both our attention. Drake. I looked over at Mom with pleading eyes. She was biting the inside of her right cheek looking stressed. Why was she so nervous?

"Please?" I begged impatiently. My eyes drifted from my mother to the door quickly over and over again, too many times. She sighed and nodded closing her eyes. I held back a squeal and got up from the couch.

"Hold it young lady!" She warned shooting up from her spot. "You're going to be back at eleven, okay? You have school tomorrow! And make sure you call me when you get there!"
I rolled my eyes annoyed, she made me feel so little. "Bye!" I yelled letting my body come in contact with the freedom outside my house.

I kept my body close to Drake as we walked to Clara's party. Our hands brushed against each other a few times. I think he was the only boy I didn't mind touching, or didn't make me uncomfortable when our body parts came in contact.

"Frankie's going to freakkkk.." Drake grinned.

"We don't even know if he's going to be there." I argued blushing a bit.

"He will. Hello? This is Clara's party, our whole grade will be there! That girl's friends with everyone, it's kind of creepy."

I shrugged his comment off and we continued our walk towards her house. Darkness had sneaked in early on the sunlight and the temperature had slightly decreased. I should have put something on to cover my naked shoulders. I easily got goosebumps and shivered. These past weeks I had actually known more human beings existed besides my brother, my mom, and my tutor. I had learned the ways around my neighborhood. Slowly I was coming out of my own cocoon and exploring the world I had been isolated from.

A whole block from actually reaching Clara's house you could already hear the faint blasting of music. Each sound wave bouncing off each other and every object it came in contact with before entering our ears as entertainment. As we turned the last corner I couldn't help but stir up a pool of nerves in the pit of my stomach. As we took our last steps towards the house, I was hit with reality, and my definition for teenagers changed.

Immediately the fumes of alcohol danced around my nose before going up my nostrils almost making me gag. Another stench filled my body up, smoke. I was never around people who smoked, I wasn't used to it. I focused my attention back to the house.

"Oh great, college assholes are here."

"How do you know?" I asked.

Drake shrugged. "Where do you think the cigarettes and alcohol came from? The juniors get it from the seniors, who get it from the college kids"

There were more teenagers scattered in the front lawn. Some were smoking, others drinking, and a few were even multitasking, if you know what I mean. They were all in small packs talking.

"Come on, let's go inside." Drake insisted taking my hand into his. Eyes scanned me up and down as we walked through the doors. I swear my eyes witnessed several laws being broken in the time it took to blink from walking inside. Couches were pushed up against a corner, and the middle of Clara's living room had been turned to a dance floor...err grind floor. As Drake and I passed a couple making out I felt my hands sweat and quickly let go of his. My cheeks flushed and a freezing hot rush swept over my body. Everyone seemed to have somebody.

"What are we supposed to do?"

"Hangout.." Drake answered.

We stood near the stairs leading to the top of the house trying to 'rough' it out. Often I'd get pushed or shoved by people rushing through, and some even trying to get upstairs. For some reason I found myself feeling like an idiot now, I got excited over something I wasn't enjoying.

"Hey Drake.." Rory smiled. "Oh Madison, hi! What's up with both of you?"

"We're just...hanging." Drake answered smiling crookedly.

"Hey, why don't you guys go..dance! I'm going to find s-something to drink."

I watched a small smile grow on Rory's face as Drake turned a pigment of pink. "What do you say Drake? Wanna dance?"

The color on his face only darkened. "Sure if you wanna.."

In seconds Rory had took his hand dragging Drake beside her, leaving me alone. I slithered my way through people looking for Clara's kitchen. I'm surprised the police isn't here yet!

When I finally found the kitchen I realized no one was actually in it. I walked over to the refrigerator and looked around for anything NON alcoholic to drink. I spotted a Poland Spring bottle and sighed a relief, oh thank god!

I was about to take a sip of the water before a voice made me slightly jump. "Now now Maddy! That's now what you drink at a party!"

I turned around slowly to face Frank taking a drink of the beer in his hand smirking. "This is what you drink here."

"No thanks, I like keeping my liver healthy."

He scrunched up his nose and laughed lightly as I stood there looking dumbfounded. "Why are you here anyway? Shouldn't you be somewhere with Whitney? You did tell me to stay away from you right?"

His hair been losing it's shade of black each passing day, the brown slowly re surfacing, he needed to re dye it. It had been growing slightly longer to, but I wished inside he wouldn't cut it. I took a step back when I noticed he was moving closer to me. I couldn't help myself think of the worst, he was after all drinking.

"Are you drunk?"

He scoffed, "No! I don't get drunk that easily."

I nodded feeling awkward and walked over to Clara's kitchen table. I pulled out the chair and sat myself down taking a quick sip. I would have expected Frankie to leave, but he didn't.

Instead, he sat down on the chair beside me.

"Not enjoying this party I'm guessing? You know, everyone's either dancing, drinking, smoking or making out. Or maybe even getting it on upstairs. You aren't doing any.." He said cocking his head sideways with a small grin on his face. His eyes bore into my own.

"Well, first, I wouldn't call it dancing. I'd call it grinding. Second, I like breathing, and I want my liver to be healthy. I don't want to have sex in some random house either.." I said drinking more water.

He let out a small chuckle. "You didn't argue on the making out part."

"Uhh..well..I don't have anyone to make out with." I shrugged.

He took a swig of his beer one more time. His eyes were getting a bit red and his eyelids looked like they would completely close any second.

"Yeah, you have someone."I turned my head towards him confused. I was about to say 'Who.'
But it was like he completely read my mind.

"Me."

Now kiss.
♠ ♠ ♠
i love you in, Zuni