Status: Updating regularly

Irish Lullaby

.09

"Do you want red roses? Daffodil's or lilies?" Cyrus asked, he knew my favorite flowers but he also knew that I couldn't have all three because they wouldn't match, talk about gaudy.

"Red and yellow roses," I said softly as I looked at Cyrus with a smile on my face. "Thank you for suggesting, now something else, think fast."

He looked down at his feet as he leaned forward, rested his elbows on his knees as he thought as hard as he could about what else was needed. "You need food, so caterer is a must, and then you need to get entertainment and the cake."

"It all revolves around food, I knew there was a reason I loved weddings," Elina mumbled loud enough for Sanders and I to hear, and to laugh because mainly, it was true.

Weddings were good for free food and photos.

"I know Kally's number, she owns the amazing bakery downtown, the one that we went to when we arrived here," Elina explained as she stood up and walked over to Cyrus. "Do you know where we could get music, a DJ or like a…band?"

"My cousin Alex has a band, they play rock and their pretty good, we could use them," Cyrus said with a shrug of the shoulders. "And I could look in the newspaper for a DJ or on the internet."

"Oh I remember Alex, he's got that song that sounds like that Aerosmith song: Crazy," I mumbled as I tried to think of the song title. "It's something like French kiss or Lovers life."

"I know what you mean," Cyrus nodded his head as he turned back to Elina. "I'll talk to him so put a question mark near the entertainment column you have going."

"Gotcha," she nodded her head as she put a question mark next to 'entertainment' and then turned to me with a puzzled look on her olive colored face, "Okay, now I'll call Kally, she'll set up an appointment probably so you may need to go down there today Harper."

"Go ahead and call her," I mumbled as I turned to Sanders and seen him watching Elina speak. "I'll look up on the computer a place for the dinner."

"Or lunch."

"Or lunch," I nodded my head in agreement with Sanders comment. "And we need to rent a space for the reception."

"That place on fifth and Dander's lane has a theater, I talked to the man that runs it the other day at the grocery store, he renovated it and it has a full spacious room that could be used, we might have to bring the tables and chairs though," Elina suggested as she looked at us both, with a shrug of her shoulders she picked up her notebook and began writing it all down.

"We could do that," Sanders said nodding his head.

"I'll go call Kally," Elina said as she took off for the kitchen, which had a phone jack on the wall so she could talk in there, Cyrus looked up at me and grinned before he stood up with a yawn, stretching his arms.

"Anywhere I can take a nappy-poo?"

"You're so gay…" I shook my head.

"No I'm straight as an iron board-"

"That's been broken in two," I interrupted with a smile, which I only got a glare instead of a laugh, which I expected. "I mean, I have nothing against gay people, they are just like straight people, and they love one another without fear of being judged…"

"I'm not gay Harper," he said sharply as he walked from the room mumbling incoherent sentences that I couldn't get a word from even if I had supersonic hearing.

"Did I piss him off?"

"Yes you did," Sanders laughed as I turned to him and looked up in his eyes, they shone happiness and love, he was one of a kind and I was…using him.

But he wanted it.

Why I don't know, but I was intending to find out, eventually of course. "So…" I mumbled as I looked up at him with a smile, after I looked at the ground of course, had to build my courage somehow and apparently the tiled linoleum floors helped. "We should probably go and get to know each other right?"

"Probably."

"Come on," I said as I grabbed his shirt sleeve while I walked towards a spare room that held the fabrics, spare belts, ties and random clothes articles and such. "Sit."

"Alright, am I a dog now?" Sanders joked as he sat down on a large roll of leather that was used for jackets.

"No," I laughed as I sat down beside him, taking a minute to adjust myself to the awkward fitting of the leather roll that seemed to shape my rear into it and make me feel less than comfortable. "What's you're full name?"

"Alexander Sanderson Huckabee," he laughed as he leaned back against the purple netting fabric; he glanced at it out the side of his eye and narrowed his eyes at it. "What in the world is that?"

"Fabric to put over…actually I don't know why we have purple fabric?" I mumbled in confusion as I stared at the dark purple cloth. "Strange, okay uh, my name is Harper Elizabeth Phillips as you know; I was born March 2nd, 1986 in Raleigh North Carolina, I'm a natural blonde."

"Alright, I was born July 19th 1984 in Dublin, Ireland from Karen and James Huckabee, I'm a natural brunette but I want to dye my hair, but I'm to lazy to do so."

"Hm, so you're twenty three?"

"Yes, and a dark haired lad from Ireland," he grinned at my statement days ago about the sights in Ireland that I wanted to see. "Alright, dig deeper shall we?"

"I guess we need too," I laughed as I placed my feet beside his legs, where he placed his beside my thighs, sitting horizontal from each other. "Sisters or brothers?"

"Two brothers, both back in Ireland, my oldest brother's name is Anthony and my youngest is Tegan."

"I have a sister," I said sadly as I looked up at the ceiling, sliding down in my seat slightly as I glanced back down to Sanders face with a regretful sigh. "Her name is Acelin and she lives in Germany with her husband Ronnie and two kids, Mary and Fred."

"I thought you only had a brother," Sanders said in confusion as he twiddled his thumbs together.

"Acelin disowned the family, we don't exactly know why, we just suspect that her husband made her," I shrugged my shoulders as I looked down at my feet. "She was my best friend and then she left when I was fifteen."

"I'm sorry Harper," Sanders said softly as he leaned up and grabbed my hands in his. "I can't imagine family leaving me, they were all I had back home."

"That's why I didn't want to disappoint my mom," I sighed heavily at my reason, which was one of the handfuls. "I don't want to lose anyone else, my family and friends are all I have, and all I have is who you've met, Elina and Cyrus are who have kept me sane."

"They are extremely lucky, I'm extremely lucky, to know you."

"No," I laughed as I shook my head and looked up from my hands. "I'm lucky because I'm surrounded by people, who care."

"People do care, you just have to find out who those are and those are you're friends," he said smiling sweetly at me. "I care as Elina cares and so does Cyrus apparently, they think greatly of you."

"I'm glad they do," I laughed as I wiped under my right eye as a tear slid down my cheek. "I'm glad they don't consider me anything like my mother."

"If you hate you're mother so much, why are you doing this for her?"

"Honestly?" I asked softly as I looked up into his eyes. "I don't have a clue why, except the fact that I don't want her to abandon me like Acelin, even though she acts like she does, I care what she thinks, I love her more than she realizes."

"She's you're mother, of course you do, no matter what."

"Yeah," I laughed as I wiped my eyes again. "Alright something else or I'll start bawling."

He chuckled and leaned back to how he was previously seated. "I've never been in love," he confided as he held his hands out. "I've never felt what I felt with you," He looked down at me and smiled shyly. "That kind of slipped out that was supposed to stay in my head actually."

"Don't feel bad, I don't think I've felt as happy as I have when I'm with you, I seem to forget what exactly we're doing, until I get reminded by people," I cast a sideways glance at the door. "But I will be honest, its not love right now, to me it's kind of a mix between lust and teenage crush."

"Yeah I think so too," he said nodding his head honestly. "Do you think it's wise to marry and not be in love?"

"No, but people used to do it years ago," I mumbled as I looked up at his face with a look of contemplation on my face. "Sanders you can say stop whenever, I've came close to saying it because I feel like I'm making you do this, I like you but we've known each other three days."

"You're not making me do anything Harper," he laughed deeply as he stood up and walked towards the window that had short drapes of gold color lapping over the frame, casting a golden look to his hair as he stood in the right spot. "I wanted to help you, I wanted to see you happy, I wanted to fall in love with you," he stopped and turned around with his eyes closed. "Again, I did it again."

"Spoke something that you didn't want to say out loud?"

"Exactly," he grumbled as he opened his eyes and sat on the window seal. "Well, guess the cats out of the bag, wow that saying is really cruel, I just realized that."

"Sanders stay on one subject please," I laughed as I leaned up and turned to him, "You're like a child with A.D.D." I laughed slightly under my breath as I clamped my hands together, intertwining them.

"Oh, I have A.D.H.D, I forgot to tell you that, really short attention span," he said slowly as he held his right hand out to me while tapping his left hands index finger against his temple. "So, I tend to skip subjects and then randomly shout that I like something, hence the last two times I've opened my mouth."

"It's kind of cute," I giggled as the door opened and Vanessa stuck her head in.

"Oh good, everyone's clothed," she laughed which made Sanders and I both blush and turn away from each other. "Elina said that you need to go speak with Kally about the cake."

"Already?"

"Yeah, she said that she doesn't have any orders for next week so you need to go and put you're order in if you want it done by Tuesday," Vanessa said with a smile and then shut the door, I turned to Sanders and shrugged my shoulders as I stood up.

"Come on boyfriend we have to go and pick out a damn cake," I said motioning for him to walk over to me, he chuckled as he leaned off the window seal and walked over to me.

"Just don't get something really gross, I want to enjoy the cake please," he mumbled under his breath as he opened the door for me to walk though.

"Do you eat butter cream?"

"That stuff is amazing!" he turned to me and smiled, his eyes brightening as he walked to my left side. "Can we get one of those?"

"If you calm down," I laughed as I patted his shoulder, trying to make him stop bouncing on the balls of his feet; he slowed down but seemed to have a bounce in his step. "Did you suddenly get hyper over cake icing?"

"Yes I did," he nodded his head in all seriousness, his face showed no amusement whatsoever. "I tend to do that, cake is really good and we're going to have a huge one so it makes it even better."

"You're a strange man Sanders Huckabee."

"But you love it," he grinned nudging me in the arm as we walked across the designing room floor.

~*~*~*~*~

As Sanders opened the bakery door, the smell of cake icing, batter and everything in between rose in my nose; it was like heaven on earth in a small shop painted yellow, bright big bird—yellow.

A bakery.
♠ ♠ ♠
Banner for Harper

I appreciate comments.