Everyone Has Stories

Loui Eriksson

Image

July 17th, 2003

“Dad, I don’t want to go to Sweden. Can’t I just stay here?” I crossed my arms, as my mother and father sat at the breakfast table, overlooking the crashing waves of the ocean. They had been bothering me all morning about some stupid business trip. It was the summer, and I wanted to relax before we had to start training again.

My mom swiveled in her chair, nearly knocking over her plate of eggs. “No, kulta! Think of it as your birthday present.” So much for my mother taking my side in this. I looked to my father, kind of hoping for an explanation. They had gone to hundreds of places before, leaving me alone, yet they were only going on a four hour plane trip, and had to drag me along.

“I told you guys I didn’t want anything, the first forty times you asked.” I began tapping my foot impatiently. I was waiting for Val to call, as he promised. We were planning on sneaking into the local ice arena, but he couldn’t get to Italy between his practices, which had already started back up.

My dad placed another forkful of salami in his mouth, chewing slowly, before ingesting a deep gulp of wine. “Anna. Sweden’s a lovely country, and Gothenburg is gorgeous. Just a few hours at a business dinner, and then you can do whatever you want.” That usually meant my mother wanted to go shopping, and it was either me or him who was being drug along. Looks like it was my turn to suffer.

“Dad, I’m seventeen. I think I can stay home by myself.” He laid his fork down calmly, before finishing off his wine, and reaching for his cup of water.

“Anna, listen to your father. I won’t have you staying home by yourself, no matter how old you are.” I grumbled under my breath, before stomping up the stairs and packing my overnight bag, and that was how I found myself on a plane into the heart of Sweden.

~

I mentally stabbed my brain so I could die, as my father continued to talk about some energy bill that Italy was trying to pass. So much for business dinners, he just wanted to catch up with old friends! “Father, may I be excused to the washroom?” Ugh, manners and best behaviour, how I hate thee.

“Don’t take too long, Anna.” I nodded, before quietly making my leave of the table. When out of sight, I stretched my arms back, hearing my spine pop back into place. Sighing, I relaxed my shoulders from their ridiculous primed posture, and headed down the hallway that led to the bathrooms.

I approached the last corner, before turning and running smack into someone. I felt their hands grab my arms, steading the both of us so we wouldn’t fall. I had my left hand on his side, and my other on his arm, unconsciously helping.

“Sorry about that, I wasn’t paying attention.” I looked up to the dark-haired man, recognizing him immediately from Junior Worlds. “Eriksson. What are you doing here?”

He looked up, releasing my arms, before backing up. “Do I know you?” I think it had been maybe three months since we had played. Too bad we never got a chance to play Sweden, but we did watch. He looked at my face for a moment, before smiling awkwardly. “Uh, you’re Trovato. Well, you look like him, at least.”

“I’m Anna Trovato.” I extended my hand to the man, whose bright blue eyes burned into my own. He took it graciously, before pulling away. “Nice to meet you.”

“Same here. Watched you guys, it’s a shame you didn’t get further.” I nodded in response, as the tension seeped out of the hall. “Why are you here, though, in Sweden?”

“My father claimed he had a business meeting, dragging me out here on my birthday, when he actually only wanted to meet up with old friends, and discuss things that will probably never happen.” I chuckled, covering my mouth as he laughed softly.

“Today’s your birthday?” I stopped, nodding to his question. “No way, it’s mine too!” I grinned at his statement, trying to think and do the math in my head.

“You can’t be younger than me, since they talked about you participating in the draft overseas..” He nodded, smiling just as bright.

“I was born in ’85.” It was my turn to smack a grin on my face.

“You’re only a year older than me! Cool!” Yes. I am immature.

~

“Quick! Stick it on!” I urged the Swede, who was trying to attach the MALE sign to the female bathroom door. I finished the FEMALE sign on the male’s side, proceeding to bother the crap out of my accomplice as he went as slow as a snail.

“Don’t mouth off to me, woman! I’ve got this!” He roared at me, grinning like a maniac.

“Well, Mr. I’ve-Got-This, someone’s coming!” Pushing hard, the glue finally re-stuck, as we made a bee-line to hide behind the giant tree, a clear view of the bathroom doors.

“…and I said, honey, I was wearing it first!” Loui smacked his hand over my mouth, just as I was about to die laughing. I hung onto him for support, covering the giggled that were escaping his mouth, as the three snarky women walked into the ‘FEMALE’ bathroom door, where two men were already occupying.

As if our plan couldn’t get any better, the two women that went into the original female bathroom hadn’t come out, and two men came sauntering down the hall, laughing heartily, barging into the ‘MALE’ bathroom.

As if on cue, simultaneous screams were heard from both sides, from both parties, but before they could make it out, Loui and I were already back at our respective tables, pretending to be horrified at the screams that bled through the air.
♠ ♠ ♠
Poor Varly.