Status: Complete - I am currently working on a sequel, but won't post until I have it half finished. Look for it in late November.

Tattooed

Breathe For Me

“Damn it!” Zack yelled running into the bathroom. Splashing around in the tub with me was a small black lab with a bright pink collar. It wasn’t older than a month. “I thought I said stay in the closet!” He said walking over scolding the puppy. By now I had caught it and was sitting in the water puppy to my chest. Zack grabbed an extra towel and took the puppy from me drying her off.

“Why is there a puppy in my bath?” I asked laughing as it barked that little puppy bark.

“Well I figured you’d get lonely and you were losing your running partner so maybe this little one here could take my place while I’m gone.” He said rubbing the top of her head. Zack and I had started running on the beach every morning the spring of Freshman year.

“What’s her name?” I asked once I was out of the tub and in a towel. I started to scratch behind her ear.

“I thought I’d leave that up to you.” He handed her to me.

“Nyx.” I smiled.

“Nyx?” He asked looking at the puppy.

“Goddess of the darkness and night time.” I set the dog down and got dressed.

“I like it.” Zack said kissing my neck. She darted out of the room when she realized Zack had left the door open. I pulled the t shirt on quickly and ran after her when I heard Jimmy scream from down the hall. She had managed to jump on his bed and start licking his face.

“Come here girl.” I said picking her up and holding her to my body.

“What is that?” Jim said still trying to wake up.

“My new puppy. Z got her for me because you guys are leaving and he doesn’t want me being lonely.”

“Just keep it off my face.” He said turning over to go back to sleep.

“Fine.” I set her down on his back and she started biting at his shirt hair.

“Gummy worm.” He whined knowing he couldn’t flip over without hurting her.

“Nope. Get up. You guys are leaving soon and I want you to make me breakfast.” I laughed.

“Alright. Alright.” He said as Nyx pulled his hair more. I picked her up. Jimmy went downstairs and made food for everyone. One by one they all came into the kitchen.

“Are you sure you can’t come with us? I’m going to be the only girl going.” Val whined once I was outside. Michelle, Jazz, and Eliza had all gone off to college and wouldn’t be back for another 2 weeks. But even when they got back it was going to be crazy because Eliza and Matt were getting married in a month just after the tour finished. Jimmy and Devin had broken up right after graduation then she dropped off the face of the Earth.

“You know if I didn’t have to finish up getting my license I’d be there in a heartbeat.” I smiled and hugged her. “Plus you guys don’t need me going and getting any of you sick.” I laughed.

“You’ve been sick for 2 weeks, I don’t think you’d get any of us sick. I’ve been living with you and I’m fine.” Jimmy said leaning on the van.

“Yes but we were in a huge house, not a tiny van.”

“We’ll see you the second we get back.” Brain said pulling me into a tight hug.

“You just want me for my booze.” I laughed hugging him back.

“You don’t know that.” He gave me a suspicious look.

“If you need anything call my mom. She’ll rush over here with soup and chick flicks.” Matt Sanders laughed pulling me from Brian into another tight hug. “You know she loves you like a daughter.”

“I know. David and Pierre are coming in tonight though to keep me company.”

“Don’t get in too much trouble.” Justin hugged me.

“Help Liza when she come home please? I know she’s stressing out.” Matt hugged me.

“Just keep the girls calm. I know Jazz is going to be stressed too.” Jason said stepping back from hugging me. I nodded. Everyone but Jim and Zack got in the car.

“If you need me to come home for any reason call me. I’ll leave tour and be here for you.” Jimmy said pulling me into a hug. “I’ll keep an eye on him.” He whispered before stepping away and leaning on the van waiting for Z to get inside. Jim had called the window seat.

“Baby, I love you. I’m only a phone call away.” He kissed me before running his finger over the locket around my neck. I hadn’t taken it off since he gave it to me on my 15th birthday. Sadly though when I got in the car accident it got dented on the side so now it didn’t open, so the pictures were trapped inside. “I’ll see you when we get back. Try to feel better.” He slipped into the van.

“I’ll try.” I bit my lip. “Try not to lose you.” was the part he didn’t hear but I think Jimmy did. I waved as the pulled away. It was true, Z and I weren’t as strong as we used to be. We didn’t talk as much and when we did, it wasn’t meaningful. I just couldn’t bring myself to confront him about that night and he didn’t seem to be planning on telling me. I was just so hurt, even now, that every time I think touching him I feel like I’ve swallowed a weight. Our sex life had suffered dramatically. For the first few months after the accident, I got out on the excuse of the broken bones, after that I just wasn’t as excited as I used to be. After every time I just felt used. Actually, I never really felt loved anymore. I know he loves me but something was just off. I was still as madly in love with him as I had been the day we said our vows, but he had broken them and I was still copping with that.

“Are you coming to get us?” We the first thing I heard when I flipped my phone open after being drawn out of my thoughts by it ringing.

“Yeah. Give me 30 minutes. I fell asleep.” I lied looking at my watch. I’d been playing with Nyx for 2 hours in the summer sun. I flipped my phone shut before getting in the jeep and going to pick up David and Pierre. The insurance replaced Zack’s car, considering it was totaled.

“Hey there.” Pierre said getting into the vehicle once I was at the airport.

“Hey guys.” I smiled at each of them. David got in the back seat and we went home.

“What’s the plan for tomorrow?” David asked as we popped 2 bags of popcorn Nyx under our feet.

“I have a doctor’s appointment in the morning. I’ve been sick lately. But after that no plans.” We took our seat in the home theater. We were on the first couch on the right. I had my head in David’s lap and the popcorn sitting on my chest, Nyx on my stomach asleep. Pierre was across the isle laid out too.

“Hey press play.” I called to him. The Nightmare Before Christmas started playing. We had what turned into a Tim Burton marathon until I was fast asleep on David’s lap.

I awoke feeling like someone had punched me in the stomach and raced to the bathroom.

“Are you ok?” David called from outside the door as I emptied my stomach into the toilet. “Hey.” He walked in a knelt down next to me and rubbed my back. I flushed the toilet and rinsed my mouth out with some water before spitting it into the sink.

“Yeah. I’m fine now. What time is it?”

“7:43.” He stood behind me and rubbed my back again. “Are you sure you’re ok?”

“Yeah. I’m going to get a shower. I have to be at the doctor’s in an hour and a half.” I dragged myself out of the bathroom and to the elevator. David followed me but when I reached my room, he kept going down the hall. He was staying in the room across from Jimmy’s. I showered and did my hair and make up after brushing my teeth. I got dressed in a mini skirt and tube top after putting on my black and white stripped bikini top that had pink trim. The bottoms were solid back except the string to tie it were pink. I walked out of my room and down to the kitchen to see David making French toast. The puppy was at his feet waiting for him to drop something, which he did on purpose. She took the piece of toast and disappeared.

“Hey there.” He said pulling the last few pieces out off of the griddle and handing me a plate. He sat another plate next to me once I took my seat at the bar before grabbing his food and sitting on the other side of me.

“Thanks.” I smiled as him before taking a bit. He was no longer the dorky kid I met 8 years ago. He had grown up a lot. It stead of the short dark hair he now had a bleached blond Mohawk and needed to shave.

“Hey, what do you say to getting our noses pierced today?” He asked as we ate.

“Oh god, you guys are going to start poking holes on your bodies?” Pierre said walking in and pouring himself a glass of milk. He got one of me and David too. My new baby found her way back into the kitchen and laid by my feet.

“I guess so.” I laughed and we finished breakfast. “Ready?” I looked at my watch. We had 15 minutes to get there. We all got into the jeep and went to the brick building a few miles north of town after I locked the puppy in the storage room in the basement with water and food. I didn’t want her to eat anything.

“Mrs. Baker, how are you this morning?” The young receptionist asked as I signed in.

“Been better. Erica, this is my cousin Pierre, you already know David.” I pointed to my family.

“It’s a pleasure to meet you.” She smiled at him. You didn’t have to be a rocket scientist to see they were checking each other out. “Well, if you’re ready the doctor can see you now.” She smiled at me.

“Alright. Are you guys coming?” I asked starting to follow the doctor that had stepped out of the door that lead to a hallway.

“I think I’m going to stay out here.” Pierre said as no shock to anyone. I laughed as David and I went down the hall and into the 3 door on the left. I hopped up on the exam table.

“So what’s going on?” The older lady asked sitting on the stool as David took a seat in the chair in the corner of the room.

“I’ve been puking a lot. Getting headaches, dizziness, fatigue, heartburn, cramping really bad, I have a slight fever, and my chest has been hurting.” I said as she took my blood pressure.

“Well your blood pressure is a little low which would explain the dizziness and you temperature is slightly high than normal. Can I get you to step on the scale?” She asked pointing to the scale in the opposite corner of the room from David.

“Sure.“ I did as she asked.

“Well no weight gain. I’m going to draw some blood and run a few tests.” She went out of the room and returned a few minutes later carrying a case in her hand. It had viles, needles in packages, yellow bands, and a purple stress ball. I held my arm out to her and she tied a yellow band around the top of it. She opened on of the needles after finding a good vein and having me squeeze on the stress ball. I watched as she pushed the sharp object into my flesh and it made the popping sound I was used to by now. I’d gotten over my fear of blood being around the guys so much. She took 4 viles of blood before placing a cotton ball on top of the needle and pulling it out. She placed a bandage to hold the cotton ball in place. “I’ll be back in a few minutes.” She left the room.

“So how are you holding up?” I knew what he was talking about.

“I’m still alive.” I shrugged.

“But are you happy?”

“I am but I don’t know if I can trust him. I love him as much as ever and I’ve been getting over it but now that he’s off touring… I’m worried.” David hugged me but left it at that. We started talking about music. Chuck had quiet the band in 97 due to a fight with Pierre. When they made up Pierre left the band. David followed 6 months later. They were currently in a band called Simple Plan. They had offered me a spot but I turned it down because I was already going to be away from Zack enough with him touring, I didn’t need to be touring too.

“Well Mrs. Baker. I have some good news.” The doctor said walking into the room and sitting on the stool. “You’re fine but…”
♠ ♠ ♠
Comment/ review?