Status: Complete - I am currently working on a sequel, but won't post until I have it half finished. Look for it in late November.

Tattooed

Secrets Don't Make Friends

The boy I had seen walking into the office this morning was standing between me and the meathead.

“Leave her alone Jerry. She’s already pretty beat up. I’m pretty sure she doesn’t need your shit.” My attacker went to say something but was cut short by a teacher stepping into the hallway.

“Get to class. You’re all late.” She said in a stern voice. The jocks just walked away down the hall. I clutched the strap on my bag and headed toward the doors that lead outside staring at the ground after mumbling a quiet ‘Thanks’. As soon as I stepped outside I leaned back on the wall, far enough away from the door that no one would see me, and dug through pulling out a pack of cigarettes and black lighter. I lit one as quickly as my hands would allow then placed the pack back in my bag. I inhaled as deeply as my lung would allow leaning my head back, eyes closed.

“Mind if I get one of those off you?” I snapped my gaze onto the boy who’d been nice enough to help. I pulled the pack back out and tossed it at him, lighter in the pack. He flipped the box open and lit one before handing it back. “I’m Matt.” He said leaning against the wall next to me.

“Danni. Thanks again for helping out.” I placed the pack back in my bag.

“So, if you don’t mind my asking, what happened to you? It looks like an elephant sat on
you.” The last comment caught me attention. I raised an eyebrow.

“Sat on by an elephant?” I asked not completely sure I’d hear him right. He simply nodded and took another puff. “Tried surfing and the ocean wanted to see if I tasted good. Thank god I didn’t.” I took a look drag and we both looked at each other. Finally laugher took us over breaking our serious faces.

“What class are you missing?” He inquired.

“World history.” Both cigarettes only had about one drag left.

“Me too.” He finished his cigarette. “Ready to head up?”

“Sure.” I stopped out mine then we made our way to the class room.

“Mr. Sanders, how nice of you to finally grace us with your presents. Who is this?” Mr. Elburg gave a disapproving look.

“GUMMY WORM!!!!!” I looked at the back of the class where the voice had come from only to see Jimmy bouncing in his seat and waving. I shook my head giving a half smile.

“Danni Ryder, sir. I’m new. Sorry I’m late; I got lost. Had it not been for Matt I think I’d still be wandering the halls.”

“Just go take your seat. I’ll bring you your books and other materials once I finish my lesson. Don’t be late again.” I looked around the room and saw a pleasant surprise; my seat was between Matt and Jimmy. I made my way back and sat between the boys.

“Yay! I didn’t know you were going to be in another one of my classes Gummy Worm!” Jimmy was still bouncing in his seat.

“Gummy worm?” Matt spoke from my right.

“Yes. She is my gummy worm.”

“Why?” The confusing on his face just increased.

“Because it’ll be easier than remember her name?” Jimmy was looking at him like he was stupid.

“We’re in the same French class and he stole my gummy worms.” I turned my attention to the teacher. He was talking about South America so I just turned my attention back to the guys.

“Jim, you are such a freak.” Matt was just shaking his head, his dimples very visible with the smile he has. Went spent the next 10 minutes or so with the guys asking questions about where I moved from, why, and I got to know a little about them. The teacher walked up to my desk with a text book and a few papers before explaining the class rules.

“Great. More books.” I grumbled as the teacher made his way back to his desk. I slumped down in seat, the bell ringing less than a second later.

“What class are you heading off to?” Matt asked as he, Jim, and I all shoved our stuff into our bags.

“Algebra with Medure.”

“Well if you want you can chill with us during lunch. We’ll be in the amphitheater.” Matt stood and I fallowed.

“Hey look who’s here.” Jimmy’s voice dripping with acid. I looked over toward the door and instantly smiled. I headed over that way with the boys in tow.

“Hey Z.” He smiled at me. “I’d love to hang out with you guys at lunch.” Jimmy just glared at Zack. “See you guys after class.” Each of the guys mumbled a goodbye as Zack and I walked down stairs, back outside and into the building closest to the parking lots. Once in the classroom I did what I’d done in every class before; introduce myself to the teacher, get my book, go over the rules, etc. Once done, I turned to see Zack talking with the asshole from earlier.

“Danni, this is my friend Jerry. Jerry this is Danni, the girl I told you about last night.”

“Yeah, we met last class change, didn’t we sweetheart?” Jerry said draping his arm over my shoulders. I shoved his arm off and sat in the back of the class not saying a word.

“Hey Dan, what’s wrong?” Zack said taking the seat to my right.

“Nothing. Class is starting.” The bell rang as if to prove my point.

“What happened with you and Jerry?” He kept pushing.

“Ask him.” I flipped my book open and started on the work on the board, my handwriting illegible from the limited mobility. Zack took the hint and dropped the topic.

“So you’re hanging out with Sanders and Sullivan?” He asked starting his work. I noticed he was left handed like myself when his elbow bumped me slightly.

“I guess if Jimmy’s last name is Sullivan.” I stated disinterested.

“They are nothing but trouble.”

“How would you know?” I looked over at him.

“I used to be friends with them.” That would explain Jim’s glare. “We just went our separate ways when they got expelled.”

“Expelled? For what?” I was definitely interested now.

“We were in Catholic school, and what didn’t they do? I realized I need to keep my head on straight and focus on my future in baseball which is the main reason I started public school last year.”

“You’re Catholic?” I scrunched my nose.

“My entire family is.”

“You’re not one of those psycho religious freaks are you?”

“Not really, why?”

“I’m not religious. At all”

“Everyone is entitled to their beliefs.” He smiled and I returned it. We continued to work on the work for the remained of the classes, him asking for help one most of them and me explaining the best I could. We finished a few minutes before the bell rang. “Are you sure you don’t want to sit with my friends and I?” He asked with a pleading undertone as we packed our things.

“I already told Jim and Matt I would hang with them. Tomorrow?” I added hopefully.

“Ok. Tomorrow you’re mine.” The bell sounded. We walked to the door.

“Hey Zack is she joining us?” Jerry asked with a devilish smile.

“Nah man. She’s hanging out with some of her friends. Oh hey Danni, before you go, what class do you have after this?” He caught my attention as I went to walk away.

“AP Biology with Gardiner.” I remembered.

“Cool. See you in class then.” He waved as he and Jerry walked down the hall in the opposite direction of me. I got to the amphitheater just to be thrown over someone’s shoulder and spun in circles.

“Jimmy! Put her down! You’re going to scare her off then we will have no female friends!” I heard a girl yelling. I laughed as I was placed on the ground.

“Sorry Michelle. I won’t scare her off.” Jim walked over to 2 girls, Matt, and a few other guys I didn’t know sitting in a circle under a tree off to the right side of the amphitheater. I fallowed.

“Sorry about him. I’m Michelle.” A girl with long brown hair welcomed me.

“Danni. You’re in my English class right?” I asked sitting between Jimmy and Matt, the girl talking across from me.

“No. That would be me. I’m Val, her twin.” She waved from the other side of Matt. “This is Matt Berry.” She pointed to the guy I didn’t know with longer hair. “And his twin Jason.” She pointed to the other. “And you’ve already met Jimmy and my Matt.”

“See Matt. I told you she would sit with us!” Jim stuck his tongue out at Matt. “So Gummy worm no one else has messed with you have they?” He glared at the group of jock, containing my angel, in front of us.

“No.” I smiled. Zack was faced toward me and gave me that liquefying smile.

“So Danni, how is you’re first day going?”

“It’s ok. This school is huge.” We spent the rest of lunch talking. They all welcomed me with open arms into the group. At one point, Jim claimed to be a drumming god then he and Matt Berry ended up having a fry catching contest throwing fries at each other seeing who could catch the most in their mouth. At one point Jason threw one at me and it pegged me dead in the center of my forehead. Lunch was nearing a close so I lit another cigarette. Everyone except Michelle fallowed suit.

“Hey Danni. I thought I’d walk with you to class since we’re headed in the same direction.” Zack walked over to the group but stood a considerable distance away.

“Thanks.” I took the last puff and put it out before standing. Jimmy attached himself to my right leg.

“You can’t leave me Gummy worm! I’ll cry!” He clung to my leg for dear life.

“Jimmy let her go!” Jason playfully punched his shoulder.

“NO!!!!! She’s mine! I claimed her!” I felt like I’d already known these guys for years. Jimmy caught my other leg in his death grip.

“Jimmy, I’ll see you later. It’s not like I’m leaving forever.” I laughed getting slightly wobbly from lack of leg movement.

“No!” He hugged them tighter and I toppled forward. Zack had caught me before I could fall.

“Hold about we hang out after school?” I offered smiling down at him while Zack was still holding up my top half.

“Promise?” He looked up at me with those puppy dog eyes.

“Only if you promise to teach me how to plat drums.” He instantly let go.

“I’m holding you to it!” He gave me a serious look.

“Same goes for you.” Z released me now that I would stand on my own. Michelle stood.

“I’m in your next class so I might as well head there now.”

“Not you too!” Jimmy complained from the ground.

“Why don’t we all meet up at you’re house after school? You can teach Danni here how to
play and we can all chill out.” The Matt who saved my ass suggested.

“We have a plan. Not like you loser were doing anything else today anyway.” Jimmy smile and everyone rolled their eyes at him. “Hey Danni, meet me here after school and we’ll walk over?” I threw a quick glance at Zack.

“Sure. Sounds like a plan. I just have to be home around 5 30. I still have some unpacking to do. I’ll guess I’ll see you guys after school.” Z linked arms with me and we headed off to class. Michelle ran and caught up having stayed to steal Jason’s lighter. She linked arms with my right one.

“Trying to leave me behind. I see how you are.” She gave me a fake glare. “Hey Zacky.” She finally acknowledged him. We walked back from the building I’d left before lunch and walked up the stairs. This class was right above my last one. I did all of the ‘new kid’ stuff when we got in. Luckily the class had an odd number of people so I would get a lab partner. Once everyone was in the class and in their seat, the teacher walked me over to a table where Zack was sitting with two of the other baseball players that confronted me in the hall earlier.

“Mr. Baker, Mr. Thomas, Mr. Keys, since there are 3 of you in a group, which one of you would like to work with Ms. Ryder?” One guess who jumped at the opportunity.

“I will!” Said the guy with blond hair and brown eyes.