Status: Complete - I am currently working on a sequel, but won't post until I have it half finished. Look for it in late November.

Tattooed

Chapter Four

“No. I will.” The other one said.

“Sir, I live next door to her and she’s in most of my classes, so if you don’t mind, I’d like to be her partner. I’ve already gotten to know her a little.” Zack spoke up trying to make it sound as if he was the best choice, which in all reality, he was.

“Well Ms. Ryder, it seems you have you’re choice.” Mr. Gardiner stated looking please that so many of his students were willing to change partners to welcome the new girl.

“If you don’t mind, I’d like to work with Zack.” I said timidly. Zack’s smile made feel a little more confident.

“Well Mr. Baker it seems you have a new lab partner. You two may sit at the empty table.” He walked to the front of the room and I took the window seat at the lab table in the middle of the left row. Zack hopped into the seat next to me.

“Lucky me. I get a cute lab partner.” I smiled at him and flipped open the book I was given. I saw him blushing slightly out of the corner of my eye then a paper ball hit me in the back of the head and landed on my desk. I looked around behind me and saw Michelle doing a little dance for hitting her mark. I opened the wadded up paper.

“Awe. You like Zack! That’s so cute!“ Her elegant handwriting read. I looked at her again and raised my cast to show her I couldn’t respond.

“What’s that say?” Z whispered to me.

“Nothing. Just plans for tonight.“ I quickly wadded it back up and tossed it into the trash can near the back of the room while the teacher had his back to us writing on the board. It went in perfectly.

“Impressive.” He commented. He started writing something on his paper his arm bumping into me. Maybe I should sit a few more inches away from him. I looked over at his paper and he covered it with his body. I laughed slightly and read the biology book in front of me. The class passed fairly quick enough’ Michelle only threw one more paper ball at me only this one just read ‘Boo!’.

“Tomorrow we will be starting our quarterly projects, be sure to bring your books.” Mr. Gardiner spoke and took a seat at his desk. I snatched the paper Zack had been writing on at the beginning class from under his book. He looked up surprised.

“What?” I asked innocently. He just smiled and stole it out of my hand. I rolled my eyes and laughed. “What’s it say? It’s been bugging me for the last 30 minutes!” The bell rang.

“Nothing. Just plans for tonight.” He mimicked me and handed the note to Jerry as we headed toward the door.

“49 minutes and we are out of here!” Michelle interlocked arms with me as Zack and I walked out of the classroom. “So where are we headed?”

“Gym. Yay.” I faked enthusiasm.

“Damn. I have Algebra. Guess I’ll catch up with you after class. Jimmy!” Michelle ran through the hall to catch up with the goof ball.

“So Mr. Baker, where are you off to?” I asked stumbling into him from someone bumping my should roughly. I looked over my shoulder to see it was one of the football players.

“Same place as you. I think you’re trying to stalk me. I mean after all you’re in 4 out of 6 of my classes and you live next door to me.” He joked, nudging me thinking I had done it to him instead of falling into him. We walked out of the door making our way over to the gym.

“Oh no, you’ve caught on to me. Now I have to kill you.” I gave him a serious look before laughing. “How do I know you’re not stalking me? You’re in 4 of MY classes, live next door to me, and just so happened to be at the beach when I decided I wanted to see the bottom of the ocean.” I raise one eyebrow at him still smiling.

“Shhh. You’re not supposed to know.” He held his finger up to his lips. I just giggled at him as we made it to the building then the teachers’ offices. Zack introduced me and stood next to me while I went through all of the stuff I had in the last 5 classes.

“This is a co-ed gym class. On Mondays we do book work, Wednesdays we do water activities until it gets too cold, then we run, and Fridays are games days.” Mrs. Rands, the female teacher explained. “Since it seems you won’t be doing any water activities until that cast comes off, you can either do book work or other physical activities that aren’t limited by your arm but you will dress out like ever other student on those days. What size do you wear sweetie?” She asked sizing me up.

“Small or medium depending on the cut.”

“These should fit.” She handed me a orange t-shirt with the words ‘Huntington Beach High Athletic Department‘ wrapping a round the school‘s symbol, all in black, black pair of cheerleading shorts with orange stripes down the sides, ‘Oilers‘ written across the ass, a pair of matching seat pants, and a black and orange tie dyed one piece bathing suit. “When the weather gets colder you are welcome to wear your own jacket over the shirt if you find is necessary. Any questions?”

“No ma’am.” I took the clothing. I think I can deal with black and orange for school colors.

“Alright then. Why don’t you and Zack go take your seats by the bleachers in the gym.” Zack lead me through a set of doors and over to the orange bleachers taking a seat in font of the TV, that was completely out of place, on the floor. The teachers joined shortly after the bell had rung.

“Today will be will be watching a movie on healthy eating. Pay attention.” Mr. Miller, the male teacher, stated.

“This class in really easy. As long as you dress out, you pass. They lied when they said we do book work. We just watch movies.” He smiled. I yawned and stretched my arms in front of me. My lack of sleep finally catching up with me. The lights in the gym were turned off leaving only the emergency lights and TV to light the large room.

“Great, just what I needed, dark room.” I grumbled to myself rolling my eyes for what felt like the hundredth time today.

“You can lay down.” Z offered patting his lap. I gladly slid my body down on the floor, pulling the paint brushed out of my hair, letting it fall down just below my breast, shoving the brushes in my bag after my newly acquired clothes then placing my head on his lap facing the TV. Right now I’m pretty happy that not many people are in this class, mainly that his friends weren’t. The teachers didn’t seem to mind that I was laying on him lap. At my old school I would have gotten detention. Everyone was just relaxing watching the movie. I closed my eyes just listening to the man on the TV talking. After a few minutes, I felt his hand running through the tousled strands. The class passed and I stayed awake the entire time, eyes closed, my angel’s lap.

“I will see you all Wednesday.” Mr. Miller spoke as the lights came back on. “You’re free to leave.” I opened my eyes, sitting up, stretching.

“Sleep well?” Zack stood and offered me his hand.

“What is this sleep you speak of?” He pulled me to my feet. “I was just resting my eyes.” He smiled at I pushed the brushed back into the mass of hair I had pulled up.

“I could swear you fell asleep.” He teased. I grabbed my bag just smiling at him.

“Would it make a difference if I did?”

“Not really.” He put his arm around my shoulder as we headed out to the courtyard. The bell rang signaling the end of the day. I have to admit, coming in at 9:20 on Mondays - 8:32 the others- and getting out at 2:42 was something I was not complaining about. My old school we went from 8 am until 3 pm. Everyone started pouring out of the buildings.

“Gummy worm!” I saw Jimmy’s head poking about everybody else. He was coming at my really fast. As soon as he cleared the group of people he made a straight line for me, going to tackle me. I quickly ducked behind Z and Jim stumbled to a stop a few feet behind where I was standing.

“Hello Jimmy.” I stepped out from behind my human shield.

“I’ll see you later Danni.” Zack slipped off into the crowd before I got to say bye. I didn’t have long to dwell on it before I was being tossed over a shoulder, my bag falling to the ground.

“Damn it.” Michelle said running to join us out of breath.

“How come Jason can pick her up and I can’t?” Jimmy demanded. I looked to see everyone but Jason.

“Because I’m awesome.” I tried to look at him but almost made him lose his grip.

“Put the girl down. She’s not a rag doll.” Matt playfully scolded his brother. I was set on the ground.

“Thank you.” I laughed, picking up my stuff.

“Let’s blow this popsicle stand.” The comment was made by Jimmy. I threw the bag over my head so it rested across my body. We all walked between the portables and the gym then past the baseball field. We had walked about a mile before we walked up the driveway to a nice looking house. It looked to be the same size as mine if not a little bit smaller, not too far from mine either. Everyone headed into the garage. There were 2 large couches and an entertainment center on one side. On the other there was a drum set, a few guitars on stands, piano, and a few mic stands.

“You play all of these?” I asked walking over to the piano.

“I’m in the process of trying to learn that thing.” He said as I ran my hand over it. “But I can play guitar and sing decently. As I said before, I am a drumming god.” He smiled.

“Mine if I try?” I asked sitting at the piano.

“Go for it. Matt’s normally the one playing that thing.” I started to play what would become ‘Until The End’, having some difficulty due to my shattered wrist. I quit after just a few seconds because of the roughness in the music.

“You write that?” Sanders asked.

“Yeah but haven’t had much luck finishing it.” I shrugged getting up. “So when are you going to tech me how to play these bad boys?” I asked Jim pointing at the drums. We’d been goofing around for a good 30 minutes.

“Now. Sit.” He demanded pointing to his lap after sitting down behind the drum set. “This might be a little harder due to your arm but I think you can get it.” I sat on his lap and took the drum sticks he handed me. I could quiet get a grip on the one in my left hand.

“You should feel lucky. He tried to kill me when I touched his stick.” Matt Berry laughed.

“That’s only because you were grabbing a different stick.” A guy slightly taller than Zack with dark hair and dark eyes walked in. “Look at what I’ve got.” He shook the back pack he had and the sound of sound of full cans hitting each other emanated from it. “Wait, who’s the chick?” He finally noticed me.

“Danni, this is my boyfriend Brian. Bri, this is Danni our new best friend.” She beamed.

“She cool?” He eyed me.

“Yeah. Don’t worry about her. Now give!” Jason grabbed the bag and unzipped it. Everyone grabbed a beer, myself included.

“Alright, back to the lesson.” Jim said after popping open his can and taking a swig. I did the same and set the can on the floor far enough away so it wouldn’t get knocked over. Everyone was sitting around talking and drinking while Jimmy instructed me to hit each drum head in a certain order. “You have to hit them harder. Like this.” The took the stick from me and hit the drum head hard enough so his body bounced slightly. I giggled having bounced with him.

“Like this?” I repeated what he did causing me to bounce in his lap.

“Maybe you shouldn’t have her sitting on your lap trying to teach her Jim.” Brian laughed from the couch between Michelle and Matt Sanders, Val next to him. I looked over my shoulder at him and burst into laughter at the look on his face. He was biting his lip with his eyes closed looking like he was in pain. I hopped off his lap and grabbed my beer.

“And Saint Attila raised the hand grenade up on high, saying, "O Lord, bless this thy hand grenade, that with it thou mayst blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy." And the Lord did grin. And the people did feast upon the lambs and sloths, and carp and anchovies, and orangutans and breakfast cereals, and fruit-bats and large chu-” I heard Jason saying from the other couch next to his brother.

“Skip a bit, brother.” Val had cut him off.

“And the Lord spake, saying, "First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin. Then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it.”” Jason continued.

“Amen!” Jimmy shouted from behind me.

“Amen!” The rest of the group shouted.

“What?” I laughed completely confused.

“She’s a witch!” Matt S shouted.

“Burn her!” Every male in the room spoke.

“Huh?” I looked at them like they were crazy.

“Oh my god. She doesn’t know Monty Python and The Holy Grail!?!?! I thought you said she was cool!” Brian glared at Jason.

“I didn’t know, man. I swear.” Jason pretended to scared.

“Seriously, what are you guys talking about?” I asked turning to Michelle and Val.

“Jimmy just put it in.” I stood there completely confused while Jimmy walked over to the TV and pushed a movie into it sitting in the only empty seat between the Berry brothers.

“Get over here.” Matt B. demanded. I walked over and was pulled down across their laps. “You will sit here and watch this!” The movie began. We watch the entire movie- the group quoting parts here and there- and continued drinking. I have never laughed so much in my life. Once the movie was over, and we all had at least 3 beers in our systems I looked at the clock having behind the drums.

“Damn.” I dragged myself to my feet. “I have to head home. I still have a lot of unpacking to do.” It was already 5:45.

“Do you have to?” Val asked.

“Sadly, But I’ll see you guys tomorrow at school.” I grabbed my bag out of the pile on the floor.

“What about me?” Brian asked slightly offended.

“Next time we’re in the same place at the same time I promise I’ll see you.” I laughed. “Later guys.” They all said their own goodbye as I walked out of the door and started down the street. I heard a squeal of tires and turned around only to have someone put something over my eyes and shove me into a really tiny space. I figured it was the trunk when I felt it moving. I banged against the opening then pulled the piece of material from my eyes. I continued to fight with the confinement until the car halted, the car doors slammed, and then the trunk open.