Status: Short Story

Looking at the Letter That You Left

Chapter 6

Jordan and Nick had been dating three years, making both of them twenty one. Nick had wanted to pop the question for a couple of months now, he had brought the ring but he just couldn’t seem to find the right time.

Jordan was blissfully unaware that Nick was going to ask her to marry him and went about life normally. She had grown use to not having a letter from Claire every year, but every year secretly she wished there would be a letter with that familiar scribble on it. There never was.

Jordan worked as personal trainer to the stars, that way she could be closer to Nick. She enjoyed her job and had the extra excitement when she met a new celebrity. She still went back to visit her parents at least every six months. Everything was left just the same, her wardrobe, her bed and most importantly the bottom of the garden where Jordan made a memorial garden for Claire.

“You don’t have to come with me, my parents understand you have a very busy schedule.” Jordan told Nick when they got in the car that was taking them to the airport.

“I know I don’t have to. But I want to.” He said taking Jordan’s hand. He always said the right things.

They boarded the private jet; Nick had hired to give them a bit of privacy. Jordan was nervous because she hadn’t seen her parents in six months; she always worried about things changing.

Nick however was nervous for a different reason, when he woke this morning he saw that a page of the magazine Jordan had been reading the night before was open. The words “Today’s the day.” Was circled in red marker pen. He asked Jordan if they had any red marker pens, she said no but she could get some for him f he wanted them.

He then showed her the magazine thinking she was winding him up but she shook her head saying she hadn’t done that. She then questioned him about what today was. He said he had no idea. He then called his brothers.

“Very funny guys, talk about giving the secret away.” Nick said as soon as Joe answered.

“What are you on about?” Joe said clearly confused.

“The red marker pen? The magazine?” He questioned him.

“What marker pen? Nick are you okay?” Concern filling Joe’s voice.

“Oh forget it.” Nick said putting the phone down. Something was nagging him, put he shook the idea out of his head he didn’t believe in spiritual things.

But as he boarded the plane, the theory seemed to make sense. It was the sign he needed, today had to be the day.

“Jordan, do you believe in spirits?” He asked her while they were flying to England.

“I believe if the message is important enough they will send you a sign.” Jordan said. Nick knew she was talking about the dream she had the night before Claire’s funeral.

Nick didn’t say anything; he just looked out towards the clouds silently thanking Claire for the guidance. Even though he never met her, he felt he owed Claire his life if it wasn’t for that letter Nick probably would have never have met Jordan and he wouldn’t be this happy right now.

They arrived at Jordan’s first home at six in the evening, when they walked through the door the smell of roast dinner made both their stomachs growl in hunger. After they had sat down and ate the dinner, Mandy had cooked for them they went up to Jordan’s room to put their suitcases there.

Nick had been in Jordan’s room a few days since they met, but only now did he notice all the pictures of Jordan and Claire at every special event. There first year of high school all the way up to their last and their prom. Then there were all the pictures from their birthday parties. Then Nick noticed pictures from concerts, he smiled knowing he was going to be marry a girl that was the greatest fan of his life.

“Jordan, Nick come down some people want to see you.” Mandy shouted up the stairs.

Nick gave Jordan a questioning look before taking her hand and leading her downstairs. The couple entered the room where a crowded with people. Jordan instantly recognised the faces around her.

“Oh my god, Gemma haven’t you grown the last time I saw you, you were sixteen!” Jordan said hugging Gemma.

“Yeah the last time I saw you, you were nineteen.” Gemma laughed a little.

Next Jordan walked over to Claire’s mum, with a smile on her face. The last time Jordan spoke with her Jordan was telling her she was moving to LA with Nick. Christine’s reply was “Oh my, I remember when you and Claire used to talk about dating a Jonas Brother I never thought I’d see the day where you move to America with Nick Jonas.”

After going round the room giving each other hugs, Jordan introduced Nick to them for the second time. Nick had met Claire’s family once when they scattered her ashes near where her granddad’s had been scattered five years previous.

Jordan excused herself shortly after, disappearing to her favourite place Claire’s garden. The grass was neatly cut and new flowers were scattered around. She sat on the bench just remembering all the memories her and Claire shared.

A slight breeze made Jordan shudder. Nick who had been watching his girlfriend for twenty minutes walked forward taking his jacket off and placing it round her shoulders. Jordan looked round surprised to see Nick, wondering how long he had been stood there for.

Without saying anything Nick took Jordan’s hand and knelt to the floor. He got the box out of his pocket, and opened it. Looking up into Jordan’s eyes he started his speech.

“Jordan Ashleigh Easterbrook, I’ve been waiting many months to do this and this morning I got a sign. A sign that said “today’s the day” I know I sound mad but I know someone up there was looking down on me all day waiting for me to do this. I have a few guesses who it was.” Nick paused pointing to the picture of Claire.

“So, here goes. Would you do me the honour of making me the happiest man in the world? Will you marry me?” Nick said loud and clear.

Jordan exhaled the breath she had been holding in since she saw the ring. Without a moments hesitation she started nodding her head, tears of happiness falling down her face.

“Yes!” Jordan managed to choke out before Nick picked her up and started spinning her round slowly.

When Jordan was firmly on the ground a round of applause broke out, the couple were unaware of Jordan and Claire’s family had came out. Nick blushed slightly and Jordan buried her head into Nick’s chest.

A few months later

“How is the blushing bride this morning?” Gemma asked as Jordan was getting her hair done.

Jordan was getting married in a few hours, the ceremony was going to be in an English church then the bride and groom with all their guests were flying out to LA to have the reception and after party.

“Very nervous.” Jordan replied.

Once Jordan’s hair was done, Gemma reached into her bag and pulled out a letter. She handed it to Jordan then left her to read it.

Jordan couldn’t believe it, she had waited years for another letter from her friend and now on her wedding day there she was clutching another letter. Before Jordan opened it Jordan remembered the first time she received a letter from Claire.

Tearing the letter open slightly, she pulled the paper out and opened it.

Dear Jordan,

So you finally found yourself a brave man who wants to spend the rest of his life with you. I bet you are over the moon! I don’t know if you will ever read this letter, you may have told your mum to burn it after my last letter which is understandable.

As I sit here in bed, I can feel my life drifting away. Doctors say I have about a week to live but I’m going to tell you that, I think you sense how weak I am though.

Remember when we were younger, we promised each other we would be at each others weddings, I never did like braking promises, I will be there even if you can’t see me. I don’t know who you are marrying or maybe I did know them. But either way as long as they make you happy I don’t care who he is.

Oh my- imagine if it was Nick Jonas, I know by now you have probably grown out of the whole marrying a Jonas thing and maybe even the Jonas Brother’s as artists, which is also fine. If by the off chance it is Mr Nicholas Jerry Jonas, you won’t need that plastic doll you said you would walk down the aisle holding you have the real life Nick waiting for you at the end of the walkway.

Have you got a hangover from your crazy hen night dear? I hope you have because if you haven’t that means it wasn’t a proper hen night! I wonder who planned your hen night if it was our mums I’m sorry.

I don’t know if you have something New, Blue, Old and Borrowed. I’m guessing the dress is new- god please don’t tell me it’s blue? I think your mum has something to give you for the old. So that just leaves something Blue and Borrowed. Look in the envelope, you can give it back to me in eternity.
Jordan emptied the envelope into her hand.

There in her hand was Claire’s blue butterfly clip, Claire had, been given it years ago by her Nan. Jordan’s eyes started to prickle thinking about how Claire had thought of everything even when she was on the brink of death. Jordan placed it her hair and went back to the letter.

Jordan I always knew you would grow up to be a wonderful person, inside and out you are better than me. You may feel like I have let you down, in many respects I have. I don’t want to think about not being there at your hen night, or helping you get ready on the big day dealing with all your nervous fits you will throw. Even crying in the church as you say your I do’s.

But at the end of the day you have came so far from reading the first letter I wrote. You now have found love, take care Jordan. I will never forget you.

Ps-I love you best friends forever and always in eternity


Jordan had just finished reading the letter when the make up artist arrived to do her make up. Her eyes were all puffy and red and Jordan now knew why Gemma had given her the letter before she had her make up done.

That’s when it hit her; there was only one more letter left. At the thought of that she started crying again, Gemma had come back and was comforting the crying bride.

When Jordan was ready, she walked down the stairs. Her mum had tears in her eyes, so did her dad. Jordan put Claire’s letter in her clutch bag.

“Jordan, I have something to give you.” Her mum said taking her daughters hands.

“It was your great grandmother’s, your Nan wore it on her wedding day and I wore it on mine.” Her mum said showing Jordan a silver chain with one single pearl on it. It was simple yet beautiful.

After Mandy had put it round her daughters neck the bridesmaids reeled off the check list.

“Something old- the necklace check, Something new- the dress check, Something blue and something borrowed.” One of the bridesmaids trailed off.

“Oh, I have a blue butterfly clip it is blue and it’s borrowed.” Jordan said smiling slightly.

Her mum nodded in realisation before saying. “Claire’s clip.”

The wedding brought a tear to everyone’s eye. Nobody would have thought a small town girl would marry an worldwide rock star.

“Do you Nicholas Jerry Jonas promise to cherish and respect, to care and protect, to comfort and encourage, and stay with Jordan Ashleigh Easterbrook, for all eternity?”The priest asked.

“I do.” Nick said the smile on his face growing wider.

“Do you Jordan Ashleigh Easterbrook promise to cherish and respect, to care and protect, to comfort and encourage, and stay with Nicholas Jerry Jonas, for all eternity?”

“I do.” Jordan said before the gap closed between them both and they shared their first kiss as man and wife.

After the wedding pictures were over with some of the bridesmaids asked Jordan if she was going to throw her bouquet of flowers.

“Actually I’m not, I’m giving them to someone who should have been here today.” And with that Jordan kissed Nick quickly telling him to meet her at the airport.

She went back to her garden and sat on the bench taking in the peaceful aroma. She sat there talking about anything and everything, it felt good to get it off her chest. She was still in her wedding dress.

“Jordan, it’s time to leave.” Nick said quietly he had been watching her again for a few minutes.

“Okay, Claire i bet you can’t believe it. Nick Jonas is in my garden, Nick Jonas is my husband.” She said before placing the bouquet of flowers on the grass, shedding a single tear.

As the tear hit her hand she felt a raindrop hit her head. She got up from her spot on the ground and walked over to Nick. Just then the rain fell harder.

“Care to dance?” Nick asked his wife.

“It’s like you read my mind.” Jordan smiled she had always wanted to dance in the rain in her best dress and she was finally doing it on her wedding day.

After they had danced for a few minutes Nick pulled Jordan towards him there lips connected. They were both getting wet but it didn’t matter because they were in a world of their own.
♠ ♠ ♠
So there is one more chapter after this, then i probably won't post anymore stories for a while.
I finish college within the next month, so i'm trying to get all my work done, so i can finish sooner.