Along the Lines

And this is what I hate, "No, I insist."

"Natalie, can you please organize these papers for me? I have a important meeting
today," Mr. Fields, my Biology teacher, says. My hand on my lock, I look at Mr. Fields -hoping I look as apologetic as I feel. "I'm so sorry, Mr. Fields, but I have swimming practice today," I say in response.

"Alright then," Mr. Fields says and starts down the hall. Then there's the feeling in my stomach area. Guilt. Resting my head on my locker, I open the lock."Mr. Fields!" I call from down the hall and caught his attention.

"Uhm...is there any possibility that I can come early tomorrow and organize?" I ask. And this is what I hate.

"Oh, no no. It's okay." Mr. Fields says, waving his hands.

"No, I insist." I say.

"Alright. If you do. " Mr.Fields says and disappears down the hall.

Turning back to my locker, I bump into something warm, soft but hard and sturdy. Looking up, I meet his eyes. Those lively, wonderful eyes of his.

"Helping out again, Nat?" Cole says, leaning on a neighboring locker so I can put my Biology book into my locker. Cole has the most adorable smile on his face at this very moment, I can't help but blush like a complete dork.

"Yeah, Cole. " I say, smiling as well.

Cole's face registers a look that looks as if he had just remembered something.

"Oh! You have practice today, right?" Cole asks. Excitement hinting in his voice.

"Yes, Cole. " I say and I already know what's coming. I shut my locker close and place the lock in it little hole. Turning to him, I can see his excitement now.

"So...I'm going to pick you up, 'kay?" I knew it. Before I can decline, Cole leans in for a gentle kiss.

"See you there!" Cole says as he was backing away to leave. Waving at me, he blew a kiss and mouthed "Goodbye."

Laughing, I play along and turn to walk away. My heart feeling light and myself feeling as giddy as ever.

----------------------------------

In the girls' locker room, I jump around trying to get into my skinny jeans (which felt like the hardest things in the world to get into when wet.) A slam of a locker makes me jump. Amy comes out from her corner of the isle.

"Sorry!" She says. I give her a smile.

"Haha, it's okay," I tell her. I turn to reach into the locker for my cotton candy blue tee just when Amy's phone starts ringing.

"I gotta take this," She says, directed towards me.

"Go ahead," I smile, " Don't need my permission." Amy had always had the manners. She has strawberry blonde hair, blue eyes, and a "figure."

Throwing on my shirt, I reach into my locker and pull out my bag. I look at all the stuff I had but it seemed like I'm forgetting something. Maybe I'm just too paranoid..

" Hey Natalie, we gotta hurry, my mom's outside," Amy says, hanging up the phone. I knew I forgot something. I face-palm myself and look at Amy.

"Oh gosh, I totally forgot. I'm sorry. I'm kind of like, riding home with Cole." I say.

A ounce of disappointment reaches Amy face but she says "Alright," anyways. Closing my locker, I exit the girls' locker room behind Amy.

As we reach outside, I wave Amy goodbye as she head towards her mother's car. I scan the lot for Cole or his car. No luck.

Sighing, I turn to go back inside when I hit something warm and his scent rushes into my nostrils. Cole wraps his arms around me, giving me a greeting hug. I hug him back and we hug in silence. There isn't any need for a voice greeting. Him wrapping me in his arms is enough.

"Hey, Nat." Cole says, breaking the silence.

"Hey," I reply, unwilling to let go of him and his warmth.

"The car's warm, too." Cole informs. Of course the car was warm, he's been out here for about three hours.

"Okay," I laugh and intertwine his fingers with mines as we head towards the car.

"How was swimming? " Cole asks. " Cold," I say. Cole opens the passenger seat door for me and waits for me to get in.

" Thanks, Cole." I say as he closes the door. I watch as he circles around the car and enters in the driver's side.

"So...Where do you want to go?" Cole asks me. I glance at my watch. 5:58 p.m.

"My parents are expecting me to be home in two hours," I say. A smile crept onto Cole's face and he leans in to kiss me.

" Hungry? It's on me," Cole says, slightly blushing. Inserting the keys, Cole drives out onto the street.

"Hm.. What are you in a mood for?' I ask, looking at Cole with interest. I love the way he arches his eyebrows when he thinks. His face lites up with excitement.

" How about Chinese?" He suggest. His favourite. I laugh. " Sure. Sounds great." Cole starts driving with only one hand and entangles his free one with mine. My heart skips a beat at his touch.

----------------------------------------------------

Cole pulls out in front of my parents' driveway. Cole sighs from my left.
"What?" I ask him.

"It's just that... I wish your parents would like me. Then I'd be able to walk you to the front door," Cole pouts. I can''t help but smile.

"Aw, that's sweet. But my parents....strongly dislike you," I say, avoiding the word "hate."

Cole pulls me in for a passionate kiss. He whispers into my ear, "I'll make them like me. One way or another." Cole leans back and I stare into his eyes. He really means it. I can just see the determination in his eyes.

I wish him good luck and head out the car. Just when I was about to close the door, I bend down to look at Cole.

"Cole, just remember; even if my parents like you or not, they're not going to change my feelings for you." I remind him. A smile reaches Cole's face.

"Goodnight, Natalie," Cole says.

"Sleep tight," I complete and close the car door.

--------------------------------------------------

Sitting on the couch in the living room, I sip my hot chocolate milk, watching "Criminal Minds." Just when it gets to the best part the doorbell rings....and rings...and rings. Was I home alone?

"Mom?" I call throughout the house, heading towards the door. "Mom?" I call again and unlock the door. Found her.

"Hey darling," My mother says, and kisses me on the cheek.

"Hey mom. Why'd you come home so late?" I point at the clock. It reads 10:26 p.m.

My mother takes off her shoes and rubs her shoulders. "Ugh... My clients were too busy arguing," She says and drops down onto the couch. "Honey, can you be a dear and fetch me some coffee," My mother asks.

" No, mom. Coffee keeps you up," I deny.

She points to my mug of hot chocolate. "So does chocolate," My mother points out. I turn and walk into the kitchen.

" Not as strong as coffee," I call from the kitchen. I pull out a mug and honey.

" What are you making me then?" My mother calls.

"Tea," I say, walking into her line of vision and wink. My mother laughs and I soon join in.

" When's dad coming home?" I ask as I set down my mother's tea.

"Around one tonight. He got the night shift in the office today," My mother pouts.

"Sucks for him.. 'cause I just got these,'' I pull out some DVDs from my bag that I got with Cole earlier.

Handing the DVDs to my mother, I continue watching Criminal Minds as she reads the back of the cover.

"Dear," she pauses, staring intently at the covers.

"Oh dear god. Oh dear god. Please don't ask. Don't ask. Don't ask. Please!" I pray in my head.

"Where'd you get these?' My mom asks.

"The store, mom." I tell her, my eyes glued onto the TV.

"With whom?" She asks. My mother wants details. I take a deep breath before answering.

"Amy and her mom," I lie. Instantly I feel bad. Horrible. I went with Cole. Not Amy.

"Well,...did you buy them?"My mother asks. I punch the off button on the remote and turn to her. Feeling sick to my stomach.

" Yeah," I lie, yet again. Cole bought them, really.

" Well, these are nice movies," She smiles.

"Yup." I say and my mother stays quiet, sipping her tea. I feel sick to the stomach. I really need to go. "I'm going to bed," I continue and head for the steps.

"Goodnight," My mother says calmly from the living room.

I reach the bottom of the steps and reply, "Love you mom." I run up the stairs and into my room, shutting my door. Leaning on the door, I slide down until I reach the floor. Why can't my mother just accept Cole instead of criticizing him? Then I wouldn't have to lie to her about any of this.

I jump into bed and think about it, 'till my eye lids felt heavy and allow my sleepiness to carry me away.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks Lexi for writing a quick "Author's notes" for me when I had to go.
Hey, I'm Bonnie and I'll be going to write the part of Natalie.