‹ Prequel: New Moon's Love
Status: Complete!!!!

Total Eclipse Of The Heart

Chapter 1

I woke up spread across Jake's small bed on my stomach. I took a deep breath inhaling his sweet scent from his pillow before getting out of bed. I adjusted Jake's baggy basketball shorts on my hips before leaving his room and looking for him.

I found him in the living room pulling on his shoes.

“Where are you going?”

“I need to check on someone. I'll only be gone for an hour or so. Don't worry, I'll drop you off at Sam and Emily's on my way.”

Ever since the pack had gone after the vampire Jake didn't want me to be alone. Neither did Paul.

Jake wrapped his arms around me and buried his face in my hair.

“Don't worry. I wont be gone long.” He said gently tapping my nose. “Now go change.”

I went back to his room and pulled on my jeans and t-shirt from yesterday. I grabbed my coat and slipped my shoes on before heading out to Jake's bike. I grabbed the helmet off the back seat and wrapped my arms around his waist as he started the bike.

It was a short ride to Sam and Emily's. When we pulled up my brother was already outside holding a half eaten chicken wing.

“Paul would you put that down that's disgusting.” Arielle, Paul's imprint said coming outside.

I climbed off the bike.

“I'll see you later.” Jake said giving me a kiss on the lips before starting his bike and leaving.

I ran over to Paul. I wrapped my arms around him.

“You know I don't like it when you two do that.”

“I'm 14 now Paul. Get over it.” I hugged Arielle too, only she had the heart to hug back.

We went inside and I took a seat between Leah and Quil.

*******

The guys heard it before I did. Jake's motorcycle pulled into Sam and Emily's yard.

“Looks like your boyfriend's back. And he brought someone with him.” Embry said before they all stampeded out the door.

I stayed sitting at the table. Leah came over and gave me a hug.

“Don't worry. I'll give her a slap in the face for you.” She gave me one more squeeze before going outside.

The phone started ringing and Emily answered.

“Hello?”

-pause-

“Yes she is.”

-pause-

“Yeah, sure.”

She handed the phone to me.

“Hello?”

“Hello baby girl.”

“Mom?”

I got up and went out to the back.

“Yeah. Its me.”

“What-why are you calling?”

“Because I'm coming down to La Push to see you kids with Jeremy.”

“Y-your coming back?”

“Yes. A mother deserves the right to see her kids once in a while doesn't she?”

“Uh, I guess.” I said sitting down on the porch swing.

“I'll be down in about three weeks. I love you.”

I hung up with out replying. I let the phone fall from my hand to cushion seat. My lungs felt like they were the size of a kidney bean, my heart was pounding in my ears and my legs felt like jelly. Tears burned my eyes as a few spilled over. I faintly heard someone come out where I was. I felt two strong arms wrap around me.

“Maddie? Maddie whats wrong baby?” Paul's voice sounded distant and I felt like I was being squeezed through a tube.

“Mom's coming.” I managed to squeeze that out and when I did, all the pressure on my chest released. My vision cleared and I managed to take a deep breath.

“She had to choose now? She had to choose this time to come?” He said more to himself as he paced the porch.

“I'm going to see Jake.” I said getting up and almost running to the road.

I walked for a few minutes before finally deciding to sprint.

I made it to Jake's house in 5 minutes. I knew he would be in the garage. I walked over to the door.

“Sounds like you know the feeling.” I heard Bella say. I stopped right before the door and listened. “Have you imprinted on someone?”

“You'd know if I had. I just have a direct line to Sam's thoughts.”

“So for now you're still you.”

“And you're still you.” Jake said. I felt like a knife was lodged into my heart. Those four words were not the answer I was hoping to hear. I slid down the garage wall and pulled my knees to my chest.

“Yeah. Until graduation.”

“Graduation?”

“You knew this was gonna happen.”

“Not in a month! I mean, not before you've.... You've even lived. Or before I could.....” I heard a loud crash and I knew he had thrown something. “For a second, just a second, I thought... But he's got his hooks in you so deep...”

“I decided this, not him.”

“Bella, they're not even alive. It makes me sick. Better you really dead than one of them.”

“I can't believe you said that. Edward was right, I shouldn't have come.”

“Bella, come on. Please. I'm sorry.” Bella walked out of the garage, not seeing me.

I curled up on the ground in a fetal position, not caring what was under me. I closed my eyes as the tight feeling came back to my chest. Their words played back in my head like a stuck record.