‹ Prequel: New Moon's Love
Status: Complete!!!!

Total Eclipse Of The Heart

Chapter 13

I couldn't breathe. That's the first thing I noticed. I felt like I was drowning, my lungs screaming for air. Suddenly, what felt like a suction cup pressed over my body and all of a sudden I was almost drowning in air. I could hear someone coughing somewhere far off; the whooshing of the air around my body keeping out all sound.

The air was becoming too much. I pushed my arms out trying to get out of my air bubble. And, just as fast as it had come, the air was gone. I could feel all energy I had before leave and black spots started dancing in my vision. I quickly felt myself falling back into the black abyss.

I came back several times, although never completely. I remember being very warm and comfortable. I was starting to think I was in heaven until I fell back into the blackness.

The first time my eyes opened completely, I was cold and alone somewhere dark. I could faintly hear voices somewhere, but they sounded muffled and mushed together.

The second time my eyes opened, I was warm and I could hear the quiet breathing of someone else in the room. My vision was blurry but I could faintly make out tan skin and my arm resting on something solid.
I quickly shut my eyes as I heard the door open.

"Paul, you need to sleep." So it was Paul that was holding me.

"I'll sleep when my baby sister's awake." The person next to me snapped.

"Come on, Paul. It's been 4 days. I don't think she's going to be awake soon."

So I had been asleep for 4 days.

"How would you know."

"Look. I promise I'll wake you up immediately if anything happens." Paul sighed.

"Alright. " He kissed my forehead before gently moving from beside me. I immediately missed his warmth.

I listened as his heavy footsteps got quieter and quieter until they were no more. Someone sat down in front of me, their warm hand gently running through my hair.

"I'm so sorry, Maddie. I shouldn't have let this happen to you. It's all my fault. I did this to you." Jake's voice broke on the last word. "It was all because I was so thick headed and I couldn't get it that Bella will never love me like she loves Edward. It was all in my head. I thought It was possible to love two people, but I was wrong." He sniffed and I immediately knew he was crying. "You just end up hurting someone in the end. And I hurt you. And now look where we are. I should've never said goodbye. I regret that word. And that kiss. The one that made me say goodbye in the first place. Now you're off somewhere else, and me sitting here, wishing that I could bring you back to tell you I love you, Maddie. I love you with all my heart." He gently put a hand on my cheek. I opened my eyes and saw him quietly sobbing into his other hand. I couldn't help myself. A couple tears escaped my eyes and fell down my face. I weakly moved my hand to his over my cheek. I wrapped my fingers around his. His head shot up and I looked into his red rimmed, dark brown eyes.

We stayed that way for a few seconds before his hand tightened around mine and he leaned in and kissed my forehead, a few of his tears falling on my face, mixing with mine.

"Jake." I whispered my voice weak. "I love you too." he climbed next to me on the bed and just held me. I could've stayed that way forever, but then crossed my mind."Jake, where is my mom and Jeremy?" I pulled away slightly. He looked down.

"Maddie...." he started.

"Jake, tell me."

"Maddie, Riley, he-they.." He stopped and took a breath. I shook my head.

"No." I whispered, fresh Tears coming to my eyes.

"He killed them in the parking garage of the hotel. Made it look like they were hit by a car." I sat up in the bed, ignoring the protests from my aching head. "Maddie, I'm so sorry-"

"Go get Paul." I said, pulling my knees to my chest.

Jake got off the bed without question. I felt a couple tears run down my face. My mom was dead. All because of me. If I wouldn't have agreed to go, Riley would've never gotten me and killed my parents.

"Maddie." Paul came in the room and sat beside me on the bed, pulling me into his arms.

"Is it true?" I asked him. "About mom and dad?"

I felt him sigh before nodding. "Yes." I lost it.

I cried. I cried for my mom, I cried for Paul, I cried for the pack, I cried for Jacob, I cried for everything that had happened, I cried for everything that was going to happen, I cried for my headache, hell I even cried a little for Jeremy. Paul held me the entire time, gently rubbing my back, whispering comforting words in my ear.