‹ Prequel: New Moon's Love
Status: Complete!!!!

Total Eclipse Of The Heart

Chapter 3

I was standing in the middle of a clearing in the woods, alone. Or so I thought.

I didn't notice him until I felt him come right up behind me. All the heat left my body and was replaced by an icy wall. I went to scream, but an ice cold hand covered my mouth.

“There, there.” He whispered. “Every thing's going to be alright. It will only hurt for a second.” Then I felt it.

Excruciating pain coming from my left wrist. The ice wall left causing me to fall to the ground. I screamed bloody murder as I felt the fire. It felt like I was burning alive even though my body was freezing cold. I screamed again and again, but the pain continued. I withered on the ground like a salted slug. I cried out for help, but no one answered.

I don't know how long I layed there, but finally, the fire began to die and I was left with what felt like ice covering my body. As the last of the fire died, I felt my heart slow until it stopped beating.

********

I grabbed onto the nearest thing which I thought was a warm, solid wall. But when the wall started to stroke my back, I knew my assumption was wrong. The person gently held me in their arms and placed their chin on my head. I cried silently as warm hands stroked my back.

Then I felt it. A slight burning in my left wrist. I sat up, and pulled myself from the person's grasp. I looked at my wrist and almost screamed. There was a bite mark where the person in my dream had bitten me. I got up off the bed and walked numbly over to my window. I opened the blinds and took a better look. Blood was running down my arm. I looked behind me and saw Jake.

“Jake?” I asked, my voice cracking.

“Yes?” He said coming up behind me. I showed him my arm. “Oh my God. Sam!” he yelled. Sam burst into my room. “You need to look at this.”

Sam took my arm and looked at the bite. “We need to talk to Carlisle about this. He would know.”

“I'm going into Fork's today to sniff out the vampire Bella had in her room. I could ask her to bring Carlisle.” Jake said.

“Do that.” Sam said before leaving. Jake sat down on my bed while I just stood there looking out the window.

“What is that smell?” Jake asked crinkling his nose like he smelled something rotten.

“What smell?” I asked sniffing the air. I didn't smell anything.

He came over towards me and smelled my hair. “Its on you. This isn't right.” He took my wrist and pulled me downstairs.

“Sam, do you smell it?” Jake asked when we entered the kitchen. Both Paul and Sam smelled the air.

“Yeah. I smell it too.” Paul said coming towards me. “Its coming from you.”

“That's vampire. But wouldn't we have known if there was a vampire on our land? Jake, did you leave Maddie alone at any time last night?”

“No, but I did this morning for like 10 minutes when I took a shower.”

“That's when it must have happened. When she was alone this morning.”

“Was it one of the Cullen's?” Paul asked.

“No. Its not the right smell. Jake, when you go today, see if the scents match. Both Maddie and Bella could be in danger.”

******

I didn't like the idea, but I had no choice. I stood waiting in the forest a few feet from Sam and Emily's house while Jake phased. The bushes rustled off to my side and my heart started beating a mile a minute until a russet coloured wolf came out from behind them. The wolf bent down to come face to face with me before gently touching my face with his wet nose. Jake layed down on the ground and I pulled myself onto his back. He took off running and I buried myself into his warm fur.

We ran until we got to Forks, then Jake phased, put on his spare clothes and we walked to Bella's house.

Edward and Carlisle were waiting outside as well as Bella when we got there. Jake left with Bella up to her room and Carlisle took me over to the side of the house. I showed him the bite and he gently ran his fingers over it. I took a sharp intake of breath when I felt the fire again.

“Do you know who did this to you?” I shook my head. “Did you have any weird dreams last night?” I told him my dream. He nodded his head like Doctors do when their thinking. He glanced over at Edward and Edward glanced back. “Obviously a vampire did this to you. But fortunately the werewolf gene in your body blocked the venom. I don't know if the bite disturbed anything but keep a close eye on it.” I nodded. Bella and Jacob came out of the house. “If you have any trouble, just call me and make sure you're not alone.” I nodded.

Jake walked to the road and I walked up next to him after Carlisle wrapped the bite mark. We both walked away from town before Jake phased again and he ran us back to La Push.

When we got home I went up to my room and sat on my bed. I could hear Jake talking to Sam downstairs.

“Sam, it was the same scent. Something is hunting Bella and Maddie. Only it got closer to Maddie than Bella. I'm worried about Maddie though. Something isn't right and I know she can feel it. I just don't know what it is.”