‹ Prequel: New Moon's Love
Status: Complete!!!!

Total Eclipse Of The Heart

Chapter 4

The next day, Jake had to “babysit” Bella for the day, leaving me in the care of Paul and Embry. So basically we sat around, ate and watched TV all day. But tonight was a bonfire and Jake was bringing Bella.

I dressed in a simple jeans and sweatshirt over one of Jake's t-shirts. I pulled my hair up into a pony tail before pulling on my shoes and leaving with Paul, Arielle, Embry, Sam, and Emily.

We got there the same time as the Clearwaters. Billy and Quil's grandpa were already there. We sat around the fire and waited for the food to cook. I sat beside Leah and Paul sat next to me. Everyone was absorbed into their own conversations while I just stared into the fire. I felt a comforting arm go around my shoulders. Leah pulled me into her side and rubbed my arm.

“Don't worry. It will be over faster than you'll know.” She whispered into my ear.

“Jake!” Seth yelled running towards Jake and Bella. Some of them turned and looked while me and Leah just stayed where we were.

While Billy talked I stared off into space. I tried not to look at Bella and Jake sitting across from me. I looked up one time and made eye contact with Jake. He had pain and guilt in his eyes which pulled at my heart strings. I didn't look over at them the rest of the bonfire.

While we were walking home, I stayed the farthest behind. Paul noticed and slowed down to where he was walking beside me.

“You know he felt bad. He didn't mean it.” I just stared at the ground. “He does love you, kiddo. He really does, but Bella has a special place in his heart. And she always will.” I looked up at him with tears in my eyes.

“Paul, I'm scared.”

“Why?”

“Because I thought you said that vampire venom can kill werewolves, but Carlisle said that my werewolf gene stopped the venom.”

Paul was quiet for a few seconds. “Um....I don't have an answer for that. My best guess would be to ask Sam. Maybe he would know.” I nodded. We walked the rest of the way in silence.

********

I was sitting in Jake's living room. He was going to introduce Bella to me as his imprint. There was a knock on the door.

“Hey Bells.” I heard Jake.

“Hey Jake.” She said back.

“Alright. I have someone I want you to meet but before you do I want you to understand that she's been through a lot in the past couple of days and I think you both have some things in common.” Jake walked into the room with Bella.

I stood up and walked over to Jake. He stood behind me and put his hands on my shoulders.

“Bella, this is my imprint, Maddie. Maddie this is Bella.”

“Hey.” She said. I smiled back at her.

“Now we have to talk.” Jake said sitting down with me on the couch. Bella sat in the chair across from us. Jake took my hand and squeezed it. “A couple days ago, a vampire, the same vampire that was in your room, bit Maddie.” Bella gasped. “And she's still alive and human.”

“Is that why you had me bring Carlisle? So he could look at it?” She asked. Jake nodded.

“But we're worried. Vampire venom is supposed to kill werewolves, but Carlisle said her werewolf gene stopped the venom. Something isn't normal and we need you to ask Carlisle about it.”

“And you need me to tell you what he says. I can do that.” She said nodding.

“And we need you to tell him the bite hasn't healed up yet. Its sill bleeding a little.” Jake stood up. “Can I talk to you outside for a minute?” Bella and Jake went outside.

I sat for a few minutes before I started to get worried about them. They've been out there for a while. I got up and went to the front window and I felt my heart break in two at what I saw.