Status: ...is born.

Aplomb

Premier Chapitre

A soft breeze blew across her face causing her soft blond hair to fly away from her sweaty neck. Her slim hands gathered her hair and fixed it into a slightly messy bun. Loose strands stuck to her skin as the Arizona heat got to her.

It was the middle of May and it was obvious that spring was turning into summer.

She had just arrived in the Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport. Her hand gripped the handlebar of her duffel bag tightly. Her ivory knuckles turned even whiter because of the force she was exerting.

Her baby blue eyes scanned the crowd for a familiar face. She adjusted her belted navy blue swing skirt and white flutter tee. She could feel the sweat in her leather oxford clad feet. Anxiety was building up inside of her at the sight of so many people surrounding her.

“Charlotte Delilah!” someone in the crowd called out.

She scanned the crowd and soon found a lady standing on a chair while waving her hand wildly. A small smile found its way to Delilah’s face as she forced her way through the crowd.

“Aunt Isabelle!” Delilah exclaimed happily as she hugged her aunt.

Her aunt was in her mid forties. Her dark brown hair was slowly turning gray and the wrinkles were obvious on her face. However, her gray eyes were sparkling with happiness and her smile made her look years younger.

“Aw, Delilah. You are all grown up.” Aunt Isabelle said. “Come on, let’s go. Your uncle is waiting nearby.”

Delilah nodded in response and followed her aunt. They walked towards a black BMW sedan. As they got closer, a man got out of the driver’s seat. His dark brown hair had turned gray but his chocolate brown eyes had a sparkle like his wife’s.

“Charlotte Delilah Kirch!” He exclaimed as he saw his niece. “I haven’t seen you since you were eighteen! Look at you! 21 and legal now.”

“Thank you, Uncle Matt.” Delilah replied as a blush crept up her neck and onto her cheeks.

“Hand me your bags, Delilah, so that I can put it in the trunk.” Uncle Matt said. Delilah diligently handed her single duffel bag to him with a smile. “You pack very light the opposite of your Aunt.”

Her aunt made no other reply to the jab aside from a hearty laugh. Delilah let a small smile grace her features before she entered the car. She didn’t have much to bring anyway.

The drive was filled with polite conversation. The topics ranged from the weather to the things Aunt Isabelle had planned for Delilah while she was her. Although Delilah was tired, she answered the questions and continued the conversation because she was just thankful that they could take her mind off her messed up family in New York.

They soon arrived in the Kirch residence in a quiet suburb. As Delilah got out of the car, she stared at the house before her. It was nothing compared to the condominium she shared with her family in New York.

She entered the house and looked at the familiar living room. Many summers and holidays were spent in this house but out of all those times she has been her, it has never felt so welcoming.

Maybe it was because her family was nowhere near her.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hi! I hope you enjoyed this chapter. I am sorry that John and the rest of the Maine aren't in this chapter yet but they'll be in the next one, I promise! Please leave a comment and tell others about this story. Thank you!