Status: one-shot

I Could Kid Myself by Thinking That I'm Fine

one/one

Remus was nestled under a tree, his nose in a book, while his friends tried to make a mermaid come out of the black lake. Not an unusual occurrence, except that today Remus couldn’t seem to get the words to stay in his mind. When he reread the same sentence for the fifth time and still didn’t take in what it said, he gave up, letting out a long sigh and resting his head back against the bark, eyes closed.

“You look tired Moony.” Sirius’s voice was teasing, but Remus didn’t miss the slight note of concern.

“Aren’t you always telling me that Sirius?” He replied, opening his eyes and forcing himself to smile at his friend.

“True, true. You study too hard,” Sirius chuckled, stealing the book out of Remus’s hands. The boy was grinning at him, but Remus couldn’t help but feel like he was being inspected. He stole his book back, rolling his eyes and making an effort to seem like everything was okay; he was not prepared for awkward questions.

“Something else you never tire of telling me,” he replied simply. “But this stuff actually interests me.”

“Well it bores the heck out of me,” Sirius teased, glancing over to where Peter was admiring James’s use of the Avifors charm. “I think we should go for a walk.” Sirius gave him one of his signature looks and Remus knew he wasn’t going to be able to avoid this conversation.

“It’s getting harder isn’t it?” Sirius had waited until they’d left everyone far behind, but Remus hadn’t been able to prepare himself for this rare moment of seriousness from his friend.

“I’m fine,” he insisted, rather unconvincingly, and Sirius stopped to raise an eyebrow at him.

“Remus, we’ve been doing this for a while now, I think I’d be able to tell when something’s up.”
Remus sighed; running a hand through his already uncharacteristically messed up hair.

“I just don’t know how much longer we can hide it Sirius. People are going to start finding out and … I’m scared.” His voice had become a whisper, his eyes dropped to his feet—only Sirius could make him abandon his defences like this.

The boys had made their way back to the castle and Sirius, with a quick glance around them, pulled Remus into secret alcove behind a suit of armour.

“Listen to me,” his voice was a rough whisper, his arms trapping him against the wall, and Remus found himself blushing despite the seriousness of his tone, “No one’s going to find out about us. Trust me. And even if they do, I will protect you. I will always protect you.” Sirius reached up and gently traced a finger over one of the scars on Remus’s face.

Remus stared into the boy’s dark eyes and knew he was right. If Sirius could handle keeping his werewolf identity a secret, he could handle hiding this.

“Thank you,” he whispered, sliding his fingers through Sirius’s hand still lingering on his cheek. “I honestly don’t know what I’d do without you.”

“Spend all your time wallowing in the Shrieking Shack I imagine,” Sirius replied, his grin returning as Remus lent up and pressed his lips against his Padfoot’s.
♠ ♠ ♠
comments are fun.