When Did Your Heart Go Missing?

Part 17

The four of us walked together for a while. Then Kelsey and Bob went separate ways, leaving me with Frank. I was getting used to the warm feeling of his hand in mine.

"So you're grounded for the summer?" he asked. I nodded. "Would I get in trouble for calling your mom a bitch?"

I laughed. He smiled down at me.

"As a matter of fact, yes," I stated. "Only I'm allowed."

"And are you okay?"

I glared at him. "What is that supposed to mean?"

"You don't always react to things in a healthy way, Layla. Don't act like you don't know that."

Goddamn Frank for knowing me so well.

"I'm perfectly fine," I said. "Peachy."

The walk was much shorter than I'd expected. We were already in front of my house. Frank turned to me, giving me a small smile.

"Call me," he said.

"You know I can't," I muttered. He walked me up the walkway and stopped at the top of the stairs that led to my front porch. He turned to me again.

"That never stopped you before, did it?" Frank said, smirking. I smiled. He had a point there. I'd always "risked" it and called him when I needed it. When I needed him.

But I looked at the ground and stayed silent. As glad as I was to have my best friend back, I just didn't know what to say.

He grabbed both my hands but when I didn't I look up at him, he leaned down and kissed my forehead. I smiled but still didn't look up.

"Don't do this to me," Frank whispered.

"Do what?" I asked. The ground was still pretty interesting....

"If I'm not going to see you all weekend, I need to at least look into your eyes. Right now. And try to paste the image in my mind."

I smiled again and felt myself blush. I looked up at him, straight into his eyes. He smiled back. For a moment, we just stood that way. No one had to say anything. It was perfect. Then, he leaned down and kissed me, dangerously close to my lips.

"I'll see you," Frank said, pulling his hands away from mine as he walked away. I watched him leave, helplessly feeling like the happiest person in the world, before walking into...my "home".

"Hello?"

It was too quiet. My mom, the Dictator, was always making some kind of noise. And to find her sitting on the couch, talking on the phone and smiling, I wasn't sure if I should be happy or scared. I avoided her completely and went upstairs to my room. I lay on my bed staring at the ceiling, replaying the entire day in my head. I was too happy to conceal my smile. My cheeks were starting to hurt.

And I need to admit it to myself. Here and now. I like Frank. I like my best friend.

And that's when my good mood fell to the ground.

That just can't be good. What if he didn't like me back? He's still hooked on Remi after all. What if I'm wasting my time being hopeful and giddy? But worse...what if he did like me back? No. This just can't be good. I'm the bad relationship magnet. I cant like Frank. I'll either like him from afar and feel torn to see him date other girls...or...or we could date and break up and ruin this great friendship. I won't be able to take that. We've known each other too long. I'm always friends with my boyfriends before that first date. Then everything goes to shit and we hate each other. I can't like Frank. I promised myself I wouldn't be so vulnerable ever again.

My head ached suddenly. Too much thinking. Way too much thinking. That's it. I'll just get over him. Somehow.

My cell phone rang. I sighed in relief, glad there was something to distract me. Unless it was Frank calling...

I ignored it for a few rings but decided to at least check who was calling. Of course. Kelsey.

"Hello?" I said, picking it up.

"Sleep over! Me, you, Pajamas, movies, your house!" she responded so quickly and loudly I couldn't help but laugh.

"Are you crazy? I'm grounded, remember?"

"But I can convince your crazy mom of anything. Put 'er on the phone!"

A few minutes later, Kelsey's on her way over. And I'm hoping she'll get my mind off of Frank.
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay. I don't remember but I think the next few chapters are Frankless... *avoids rotten fruit*

Yeah, that's right. The tomato is a fruit.

<3