When Did Your Heart Go Missing?

Part 46

I stood, Mikey's hands holding onto my arms gently in an attempt to help me. I hated the fact that my back burned all because I was too damn slow. I hated the fact that Mikey looked like he felt guilty. I hated the woman that made me miserable. I hated the guy I just couldn't stop thinking about...

I hated myself.

I pushed Mikey away from me and ran my fingers stressfully through my hair. I looked up at him. I could tell he didn't know how to react. He seemed scared as if he didn't want to say something wrong. He looked like he felt guilty as if what were happening to me was his fault. My suitcase sat a few feet away from us. I stared at it for a moment, realizing I didn't need any of what was inside of it. I didn't need any of it. Any of this. I didn't need to feel this way; I didn't need to waste space.

Stop thinking like that...

My chest felt tight. Mikey's arms wrapped around me gently. No. I didn't want him to care. Please stop caring. I'm just not worth it.

"Mikey," I said softly. "Mikey...please let go."

He looked down at me nervously and tentatively let go.

I ran.

I ran as fast as I could, away frommy the house, away from Mikey, away from all of my possessions...

And towards Frank.

"Layla!"

I ignored Mikey. I could hear the small wheels of the suitcase roll along the concrete, echoed by the empty street's ghost town-vibe as he followed me.

I made it.

I walked up to Frank's doorstep, breathless and tired but not because of the short run. I pressed my fists against the door, sliding down to my knees helplessly.

"Frank!" I yelled, a helpless crack in my voice.

I needed him. I never felt so desperate. I wanted the pain to end and I knew he could end it without something bad happening...

I heard rushed footsteps approach the door. It swung open and before I could fall through, I felt two familiar arms wrap around my torso. The force that was pulling me toward the ground rebounded as he held me in his warm, comforting grip.

"I'm here," Frank said softly. "I'm here. We're okay, Mikey!"

I felt the sudden urge to thank Mikey for putting up with me.

"Frank..." I said weakly. "I c...I can't...I can't do this...anymore."

"Can't do what?"

His voice lulled me. It put me at ease. Everything was better. But I couldn't help but feel like I...couldn't go on.

"Live," I responded softly.

"No. Don't say that. Please don't say that."

He held me tighter, as if that were possible. I barely acknowledged that Mikey was probably watching and Linda was probably watching and we were kneeling on a threshold. Frank's hands ran up and down my back, making the physical pain go away. He muttered something inaudible in my ear, his warm breath falling over my neck and he nuzzled it and lightly kissed it, making the emotional pain go away.

I felt a hot tear escape my eye, roll down my cheek, and fall onto his shoulder. The wind picked up. He pulled away hastily, making my body limp and cold. I doubled over in a cradled position as I heard him sneeze.

"Layla..." he whispered softly. He grabbed a gentle hold of my arms and forced me up, strengthening me just with his touch. I stared into his soft, beautiful, hazel, and sad, eyes helplessly, quickly and thankfully getting lost in them. He brought his hands to my face, pulling it close to his so that our noses ever so slightly touched. I closed my eyes. His lips softly touched mine, so lightly, in fact, that I wasn't sure if he had done it on purpose.

"Layla..."

That's all he said. That's all he had to say.
♠ ♠ ♠
^^
Now go comment ;]