Status: Discontinued.

Billie Jo

Part One: Dominique

Mike had about a million questions to ask Billie, but narrowed it down to one. "Billie?" She turned to look at him. "It doesn't matter to me," he started, "but do you l—"

"I like boys." she said, grinning at his dumbfounded expression. "I'm psychic." She giggled and grabbed his arm. "Would you think I was weird if I walked home barefoot?"

He smiled. "Yeah." Mike laughed when Billie bent down to pick up her heels.

Billie was painting her fingernails on the couch next to Mike was thoroughly engrossed in the guy eating live bugs on Fear Factor when Billie's mother arrived home.

"Billie, I told you to open a window when you do that." she said before she even noticed Mike. When she did, she smiled and set her purse on the chair nearest her. "Hello."

"Mom, this is Mike. Mike, that's my mom." Billie said without looking up from her nails.

"Ollie." she supplied. "And it's very nice to meet you, Mike. You know Billie from school?"

"Yes, ma'am."

"Ollie." she repeated, her smile so big Mike wondered if it hurt her face. He had the feeling Billie didn't bring too many friends to the Armstrong residence.

"Billie, honey, come with me for a minute?" Ollie asked, walking toward the kitchen.

"Mo-om! I'm almost done." Billie whined.

"Now, young lady."

Billie gave a sound like a horse would make and stomped off to the kitchen, cursing under her breath. She looked at her mother with attitude written all over her face, sighing and dropping the look at the attitude written on Ollie's face.

The interrogation began.

"Does he—"

"Yeah." Billie said in that airy high-pitched voice. "He does."

"Did you—"

Billie shook her head.

"Then, how—"

"Mom, it's not big deal."

"It's only been two weeks!" she said, loudly at first then quickly lowering her voice.

"I didn't do it on purpose." Billie said.

Ollie sighed. "We'll talk about it later."

Joy. Billie walked back to the living room, dragging her feet. Seven out of ten nails were painted and she didn't make any move to colour the last three. Mike stared determinedly at the TV, but no one was fooled.

"Are you staying for supper, Mike?" Ollie asked suddenly.

The boy jumped at being addressed. "Ummm . . ." He gave a sideways glance at Billie, who gave a small nod. "Sure."

"All right. I'm ordering pizza." Billie handed her the phone and looked at Mike. "Well?"

"What?"

"What kind of toppings you want?"

When Billie Jo got out of the shower that night, emerging from the bathroom in a nightgown and towel drying her hair, her mother was waiting for her. "Out with it." she said.

"Mom, I don't want to move." Billie said.

"How bad is it?" Ollie asked, following her daughter to the blue-walled bedroom she shared with a snake named Dominique. Billie picked up a purple handled hairbrush and stood in front of her vanity mirror, brushing her wet hair and not saying a word. "Billie Jo . . ."

"This guy . . ." Billie's voice faltered. "He . . . touched me and . . . you know . . ." She blushed scarlet as hot tears slid down her cheeks.

"Oh, honey." Billie's mother moved to put her arms around her daughter, but Billie pulled away as she so often did when her mother tried to show her physical affection. "Did you report him?" she asked, trying not to look hurt.

Billie stared at her hairbrush and then moved to Dominique's aquarium, staring at the black snake. She shook her head slightly, tracing her finger along the side of the aquarium. Dominique came to investigate and Billie gave a small smile. You're still my best friend, sweet. Don't worry.

"You don't know his name?"

Another shake of the head, wet locks moving slightly.

"You're switching schools."

Billie turned to look at her mom, but didn't say anything. She was torn. She wanted so desperately for everyone to believe that she was a girl, almost as desperately as she wanted to see Mike in math class and study hall everyday. She'd finally have someone to eat with, someone to talk to. Someone who called her Billie Jo.

"Billie, you've been to five different schools in the last three years because of this. You know what's going to happen." Ollie said patiently. "We don't have to move. You can still see Mike. But I don't want you in that school."

"Mom . . ."

"No. Don't you remember what happened at your last school?"

* * *

"Let me go!" Billie cried, struggling against the two boys who were holding her by the arms. They were laughing cruelly, along with the crowd of people who had gathered.

Zach Harris, the boy who had crushed on Billie until he found out her secret, stared at those green eyes coldly. He held the scissors in his right hand.

Billie sobbed helplessly as her beautiful black hair fell to the ground lock by lock. She was out of tears when the punching started. The words 'fag' and 'dyke' echoed through the hallway as the teachers looked on.


* * *

Billie pulled at her hair, turning back to Dominique. "C-Can I go back tomorrow? Just to let him know?"

Ollie hesitated. "I'll take you to school tomorrow. You can find him before classes, honey."

Billie bit her bottom lip and nodded. "Okay." she said quietly. She lifted the lid on Dominique's home and put her hand in, letting the reptile twist itself around her arm.

Ollie moved to her daughter, placing her hands on Billie's shoulders. "Go to bed soon, sweetheart." When she went to kiss Billie on the cheek, the girl turned her head. Her mother sighed. "I love you, Billie Jo."

The girl said nothing, just ran a finger over Dominique's back.

"Momma?" Billie asked nervously in her breathy voice, although this was the first time she had used it.

Ollie Armstrong turned in her chair, eyes widening a bit at the sight of Billie in a yellow sundress. "Yes, honey?" she asked after a moment.

"Momma, I'm a girl." Billie said in a shaking voice.

Ollie smiled. "And a very pretty one at that, Billie darling."