Sicarius

Preface

Her thin frame bounded across the yard as she chased the cat, the Siamese cat growled and batted her arm towards Miyoko from her perch high in the trees. The two year old child cried out in frustration at the height the cat was, “Kiti!” she cried jumping up and down before sitting down with a pout and thinking over what she had learned about getting things out of the trees. She began to think out loud, “I need higher.” She muttered, “Maybe… ladder? Where is one?” She was an intelligent child, and could reason with herself and with others brilliantly, even if it is something as simple as she needed someone to get her milk.

“Orite kuru.” Come down. She murmured looking up at the cat with her large chestnut eyes looking solemn. She was about to try and find a ladder when she saw her father… or rather a man looking much like her father, pouring a liquid all over her house, on the canopy, soaking the wood, and everything Miyoko knew. What could he be doing? He surely didn’t want his hard work ruined with water damage and such.

“Chichi!” Father, she shouted, he turned momentarily, and his face, though similar to her fathers… looked alien strange, was this man even her father? He seemed to chuckle at nothing as he took out a match and lit it, throwing it onto the house as the flames began. The flames were children, hungry children, licking up the house in their orange/red haze. It was hard to define exactly the look of the fire, it was like a monster looming above her, she was taken away from behind just as the screaming began.