Status: Complete

You Know I'm Never Gonna Let You Go

Sixteen

Alex

"One chance. That's all you get. One chance."

I grin. "That's all I need." I grab her shoulders and pull her lips to mine. She responds but soon pulls away, a red blush taking over her face. My smile widens as I lean back in the passenger seat, reaching over to twine our fingers together.

She pulls out of the gas station moments later, rolling up the windows so the wind wouldn't hit us in the face. I couldn't keep my lips from beaming; it was like they were permanently etched into a grin.

"You're quite smile-y," Avery glances over at me, teasing.

I shrug. "This girl I love just kissed me. It's no big deal."

She laughs, halting as we come to stop at a red light. She checks left and right just as the phone in my pocket buzzes. I pull it out, Ave raising an eyebrow at me. I smile at her in reassurance, clicking the phone on. The name that flashes across the screen made my blood run cold.

I open the message.

Where are you? I haven't heard from you in days!

I immediately close it, shoving it back in my pocket. Avery gives me a look. "Who was that?" she asks quietly, stepping on the gas as the light changes to green.

"Jack," I swallow, hoping she doesn't see through my fib. "He texted me about the wedding, wondering where I was." At least half of this is true. "My phone is about to die, so I'll text him later about where we are."

It falls silent after I finish speaking. It wasn't exactly uncomfortable, but there was a slight twinge of awkwardness in the air. It was eating me alive.

"So where are we, exactly?" I ask, looking around the road we were driving on.

"Somewhere in Indiana," she replies. I breathe in relief at the change of topic. "We'll still be on the road for a few days to get to Maryland." She turns on her blinker, slowing down to turn right. We stay silent for a few more minutes before I finally turn to her and ask her the question that's been bugging me this entire road trip.

"What would you do if I had moved on?"

The expression on her face was equivalent to a deer in the headlights. She looks over at me, her eyes flashing. "Uhm," she gulps. "What do you mean, Alex?"

"How would have you have felt if..." I trail off, trying to picture my next words in my head. "If I told you I was with someone else? As in...together with someone else." I swallow, my vision fuzzy. "Hypothetically," I add on quickly, hoping not to contradict my words.

"Jealous, obviously," she replies smoothly. She raises a brow. "Why are you asking?"

I slap a lazy smirk on my face. "Just making sure that little green monster is still alive."

She gapes, but a smile still tugged at her lips. She shakes her head at me in exasperation before turning back to the road. As I look out my window, I let my smirk drop, my heart beating loudly in my chest. I got myself into some shit-load of trouble.

__


I open the trunk, pulling my duffel bag up to unzip it.

"Alex? You done yet?" Avery steps out of the car, her overnight bag in hand. I nod, smiling in reassurance, and she smiles back before heading up to the hotel. I move aside some clothes to find what I was looking for. I grin and pull it out, tucking it in my pocket.

I grab my own bag before following Avery, meeting her at the front door. We pay for our room and collect the key cards, moving down the hallway toward the elevator.

"You okay?" Avery asks as she presses the button for our floor. "You seem...jumpy."

I chuckle. "I'm fine. Just still tired from staying up last night."

She laughs, reaching over to tangle our fingers together. I grin, following her out as the elevator doors open. Once inside the room, I drop our stuff on the ground and wrap my arms around her waist. "Oh," she hops. "What's this?" She slips her elbows behind my neck, getting on her tip-toes so we were mostly the same height.

"What?" I gasp dramatically. "Can I not want to love my hot-ass girlfriend in a hotel room?" I feign hurt, sighing loudly.

She giggles. "I was kidding!"

I return her smile and bend down to peck her on the lips. "I got you something," I say between kisses, feeling the weight of the rectangular box in my jacket pocket.

"Really?" she asks as I lead us over to the bed.

I plop us down on it so we were sitting, one of my arms snaking away from her torso to grab her gift. "I got it for you today when we stopped for gas." She raises an eyebrow. "I didn't get it at the gas station. There was a jewler across the street." Her eyes widen, and I immediately chuckle. "Here you go."

She takes the velvet coated box from me, her fingers hesitant to pull it open. Once she sees what's inside, a gasp hitches in her throat. "H-how...?" she trails off.

I shrug. "It's not the exact same one I got you three years ago, but it's similar."

She pulls out the necklace, turning it around so the diamond heart glinted under the dim lighting of our hotel room. I could see tears pooling in her eyes as she fingered it lightly, as if afraid to touch it.

"Want to put it on?" I whisper in her ear, taking it from her hands. She moves her hair out of the way and clasp it around her neck, my hands moving to her waist after I was done.

She turns around in my embrace. "Thank you. It's...it's beautiful."

I grin, pulling her into a kiss. "Just to show how much I love you."
♠ ♠ ♠
Since I couldn't get this into the chapter: the necklace he got her looks almost exactly like the one he got her for their anniversary three years ago. So cheesy, but I wanted him to do something romantic. :)
Thoughts? We love you guys so much!

-Tiana.