Status: Complete

You Know I'm Never Gonna Let You Go

Four

Alex

I knew this was going to be tough.

But this tough? Not what I was expecting. After first connecting eyes with the girl who took my heart and smushed it into teeny tiny pieces, I couldn't help remembering why I got together with her in the first place.

But after five minutes in the car, I knew getting her to break was going to be quite a joy ride.

"Hell no!" she exclaims as she sits back down her seat, having stopped the car moments before. "I'm not sleeping in this car with you! I'd rather sleep outside!"

I snort, shaking my head. "Right. You wouldn't last two seconds out there."

Her lids narrowed, a mental middle finger practically stabbing out from her eyes. "I hate you," she mutters, turning back to start the car. She steps on the gas petal, the car zooming forward across the long winding road ahead of us.

"Love you too, babe," I smirk, leaning back against the seat. To piss her off even more, I push my feet onto the dashboard, something I know she hates. I could hear her teeth grounding together, a noise she always made whenever she was about to blow her fuse. I smirk a second time and turn the music up a little bit.

We drove on for a little while, no chatter being passed between us.

I stole glances over at her every few moments; noticing the small things. Like how she smiled when she heard a song she recognized. Like how the sun high above us put light blonde highlights in her brown hair. Like how her eyes twinkled whenever she gazed at the sky, the white clouds reflecting in her corneas.

"You hungry?" she asks quietly, looking over at me.

I snap out of my daze, zeroing back on her face. I nod lamely. "Uhm, sure."

She nods stiffly back, swerving to the right, turning into a small parking lot. I look up at the building we were driving up to. A small sign read: Lula's Diner. It was quiet small, wedged between two empty lots and standing on a crumbling foundation. A hole-in-the-wall, if you wanna slap a label on it.

Once Avery had the car parked, she exited out pretty quickly. I watch her walk up to the restaurant, her back to me until she realized I hadn't followed. She turns around, raising an eyebrow at me from where I was still in the passenger seat.

"You coming?" she calls, cupping a hand around her mouth.

I was having an internal battle with myself. She has a right to know...but is that really the best thing to tell her? If I told her, she would surely kick me out of the car. And then how will I get to the wedding? Oh, this is bad. This is very bad...

"Alex?" she shouts again. "Are you hungry or what?" She looked annoyed.

I groan to myself, upset with the predicament I'm in, but shove the car door open. I step out, meeting her at the front of diner. I open the door for her, a ghost of a smile tugging at her lips, before she waltzes inside. I follow.

The place smelled of bacon and eggs and burgers; a common smell for most diners. I wasn't that hungry, I only agreed because Avery was hungry. I was only a tad thirsty.

She sits at the counter on a red swivel stool, tucking a brown piece of hair behind her ear. I shake my head, trying to ignore her little movements, and take a seat beside her. The small vicinity between us was not helping the situation.

I could smell the shampoo she uses. I remember that shampoo.

I could see by the set of her face that she was still pissed from our conversation earlier. I knew I had ticked her off, but I was only trying to warm up to her. How else am I supposed to get her to talk about three years ago? It's not going to work if she refuses to even make eye contact with me. Well, made it isn't our eyes that should be making contact...

I smirk noticeably, letting the consequences of these ideas slip from my mind.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry if it's really short.
I don't want to give too much away!
What do you think Alex wants to tell her but can't?
Any thoughts? :)

-Tiana.