Playing the Angel

II. Suffer Well

One day after meeting Tommy.

Adam went back to his apartment in hopes of collecting the small amount of belongings he had but only to find that the apartment manager had thrown everything out. So that left him with only the clothes on his back, just another thing he damned to hell. He considered pawning some of his belongings to live off of but he couldn’t even do that now.

Two days after meeting Tommy.

Adam found a small shelter that he could take refuge from the night but he had to be up and out of the place by eight o’clock in the morning and arrive at eight o’clock in the evening to be able to stay the night. Not as amusing as it sounded, Adam was back under a curfew again. Only he wished it were his parents’ curfew he was living under and not the harshness of the nuns and priest that ran the place.

Four days after meeting Tommy.

He used five dollars from the tips he had from his last night at the bar and bought a small lunch that barely kept him throughout the day. The job he was having trouble with ended with him losing it over a lie that one of his co-workers said so there went that little paycheck that barely kept him up. It would’ve seemed like a million dollars now since he was becoming poorer each day.

He considered what Tommy said about going back to the bar but after four days without a bath, having a change of clothes or looking clean, he seriously doubted anyone would want him inside the place. He doubted that the owner of the bar would even let him stay in the backroom, as Tommy believed he would. It was times like these that Adam wished he did listen to Tommy or take what the guy had to offer; he barely had anything to lose other than his life as shitty as it was.

Five days after meeting Tommy.

Adam was definitely starting to hate the stubble that was growing around his face as he rubbed at it while he walked down the street in the heat of the day. The roots of his ginger-colored hair were starting to show, and he hated the fact that he was starting to stink. He was searching for any place that had hiring signs on the windows of the shops and stores but that led to disappointment. Yet another thing he damned to hell.

Six days after meeting Tommy.

Adam missed curfew at the shelter for the first time in the week so that resulted in him trying to find somewhere else to stay. There were only two shelters in the area, the one he stayed at and one that was a joined part of a Christian church that was only three streets away from his usual shelter. It was already twilight and Adam knew that if he didn’t hurry then he’d start worrying about his safety and he wondered if Tommy would stay true to his word. He hadn’t seen him in the past few days.

Adam hoped, prayed, said dozens of Hail Marys, tried to send the best positive thoughts he could to whoever was listening to him, and even did the cross-sign thing that he saw the nuns do sometimes in hopes that he would get to the shelter safely and that the place would still be open to taking people in.

He was almost to the shelter when he felt someone watching him. He really wanted to believe that it was Tommy watching over him, against his better judgment, he glanced over his shoulder to look at the dark streets that were dimly lit by the streetlights. Adam searched for a moment until he saw two glowing eyes in the darkness at the entrance of an alleyway. They were looking directly at him, he seriously hoped that was Tommy but he didn’t take any chances of finding out as he hurried over to the front door of the church.

The door was locked, Adam swore aloud, damn it all to hell, he repeatedly knocked as loud as he could, hoping someone would come to the door and take pity on him so he’d have a place to stay the night. He glanced back to see the glowing eyes were still watching him and fear was slowly starting to fill his being. Maybe that wasn’t Tommy? Maybe that was one of the creatures that were going to kill him the other night? Maybe they were waiting for him to give up on staying at the shelter and go somewhere else so they could jump him and–

Adam’s thoughts were interrupted with the opening of the door. In the doorway was a young girl that looked like she was barely out of high school. "I’m sorry if its past curfew but I really need a place to stay for the night, I’ll be up and out at the crack of dawn and you’ll never hear from me again, just please, can I stay?" Adam didn’t think he sounded so desperate in all his life but it was either beg or possibly end up dead.

She took in his appearance with wide and frightened eyes. Adam cursed silently, he probably looked like a thief or some creep and she was probably wondering if she should let him in. "Um… uh… w-we don’t have any e-extra beds. I-I’m sorry."

"I can sleep on the floor, really, I’ve done it before. Please, just let me stay here, please," Adam hated to resort to his last option but he pulled the last of his cash from his back pocket and held it to her, "I can even pay you, just please, let me stay." I’ll give you anything, just don’t send me back out to the mercy of whoever that was in the alley, Adam mentally added.

The girl looked at the cash that he had and shook her head, "Keep that… um…" she glanced back into the building for a moment before hesitantly opening the door for Adam to come in, "St-stay right here and I’ll g-go talk to my dad. He’s the p-pastor here so h-he should be able to find you a-a place."

Adam let out a sigh of gratefulness, "Thank you."

She smiled softly and nodded, disappearing down the hall to her left. After she left, Adam looked out one of the windows towards the direction of the alley to see that the glowing eyes were gone. That creature lucked out on a meal, hopefully, Adam added because it wasn’t completely confirmed if he could stay the night. But he prayed to God or Jesus or whomever it was that Christians prayed to that they’d be able to find him a place to sleep.

With the smile that the girl had on her face when she came back, and the look of pity in the older man’s eyes that was beside her, he knew that they were going to help him.

Eight days after meeting Tommy.

Adam tried a different part of the town in hopes of finding some place that was willing to hire him. He bypassed any stores or shops that didn’t have a hiring sign because he didn’t want to enter any building smelling the way he did. He’d get mocks, laughs, and disgusted looks if he did. The people on the streets that he walked past were proof of that.

When he finally stopped looking, he ended up on the street corner of what looked like an abandoned neighborhood. A telephone booth was a few feet away from him as he took a moment to catch his breath and rest; he had only five dollars left. It was more than enough for him to phone home and ask his dad or mom to come get him and save him from starving to death and wasting away in the shelters.

He pushed himself off the building wall that he was resting against and was about to walk towards the phone when the sound of chains clinking against each other caught his attention. Adam gulped and silently prayed it wasn’t a gang, he turned towards the direction to see five guys watching him. They were bigger than he was, not in fat, but muscle, they were heavily tattooed and each had a bandana tied either around their heads, around their necks, or around their upper arms.

Adam was frozen in place. He knew he was either going to get robbed, get beaten, get killed, or all three. So much for the phone call home in hopes of a better future, he could’ve cried if he wasn't scared shitless.

And then, their legs started moving, their feet taking steps, all advancing toward him, their eyes set in for the kill. Adam took off in the other direction, towards the abandoned neighborhood and he knew that it was a slim chance but he wanted to hope that he could get away. He heard their feet slapping against the cement of the sidewalk as they tried catching up to him. The first one to catch up to him grabbed the back of his shirt and threw him against the ground.

Adam braced himself with his hands to keep from having his face meet the cement but it ended up scrapping up the palms of his hands. Blood rushed to the surface as the skin turned an angry red, Adam cursed aloud at the stinging and throbbing of his hands. His knees were scrapped up but not as bad as his hands due to the material of his jeans protecting them. He knew that the others had probably already caught up to them but he tried as best as he could to pick himself up and get away.

That only resulted in him being kicked back down by a heavy boot. He heard the others as they finally reached them, and with the first grab of the back of shirt, he knew that he was about to get the shit beat out of him or a knife to the gut or something. The first punch to the stomach confirmed it.

Eight and a half days after meeting Adam.

Tommy finally rose from his slumber, his thirst was greatly apparent but he held off on finding some drunkard to feast from. He stepped out into the night air and tried to sniff out Adam’s scent. His room wasn’t too far from the shelter that Adam stayed and Tommy was grateful for that, it helped him keep a better eye on the stubborn man.

He couldn’t pick up the man’s scent anywhere. He knew that Adam had walked around the whole week trying to find a job and the air usually reeked of his scent, with each day it grew weaker and Tommy knew it was because of the dirt that was covering him. Dirt was the best cover-up for any human to hide their blood scent. But there wasn’t even the faintest trace of Adam anywhere.

The shelter that Adam was staying at had already locked down for the night; it was almost midnight anyway. Tommy headed towards the other shelter, the Christian shelter that Adam stayed at one night to find no traces of Adam’s scent there either. That made him wonder and worry about Adam’s whereabouts. Surely nothing happened to the man while he asleep… right? The vampires that Tommy knew roamed the streets, they slept during the day as well, it was a hard habit to break.

Tommy wondered down most of the streets that he knew Adam had been through earlier that week and found no traces of him. But further down the streets of the town, he finally caught the faintest traces of Adam’s blood; it was stronger than before even with him being filthy now. He shook his head at the area that it led him to, the part of the town that was forsaken due to gang riots and shootings that occurred almost every day there.

Hoping for the best that Adam wasn’t involved in a gang fight or worse, that he was killed, Tommy sniffed out a trail that led him to a house that was in the middle of being built and was already falling apart. He stepped in through one of the square-shaped holes meant for a window and looked around the place; no sight of Adam but Adam’s scent was getting stronger. He walked through one of the openings for a door and looked around the room and his eyes stopped he saw a black figure huddled up in the corner.

The vampire knew that it was Adam; the scent was overwhelming causing his thirst to heighten but his mind was anywhere but on feasting on the wrecked man. He crept closer, cautious not to alarm the man but the sight that he saw in front of him almost made his cold heart clench up in his chest.

"Adam?" Tommy’s voice startled him, and Adam looked up, frightened as the eye that wasn’t bruised up searched for whoever was in the dark room. "It’s okay, it’s just me, Tommy," Tommy bent down and reached out his hand to place on Adam’s shoulder.

He was caught off-guard when Adam clung to him, sobs coming from the man now, each cry coming from him made Tommy hurt even more. He should’ve been there to save him, the damage done to Adam’s face and the cuts and bruises that littered his body, Tommy should’ve been there to prevent that.

"I’m so sorry," he whispered as his arms circled around Adam, careful not to put any pressure anywhere because he didn’t know where all the injuries were. His hand petted the greasy, black locks of Adam’s hair as he tried to soothe Adam’s sobs.

Tommy was right, even in the darkness he could see that Adam wasn’t getting along for the best. He was filthy, he smelled, his clothes were dirty and now, ripped in several places. And he wouldn’t doubt that if he had any money left, the guys that beat him up probably took off with.

Nine days after meeting Tommy.

Adam’s grip on Tommy’s shirt loosened, he leaned back and coughed from crying so hard but that only made his stomach and ribcage hurt even more. He looked up into Tommy’s glowing eyes, the only thing he could make out in the dark building, and whimpered, "Just kill me. Please, just kill me and let me get out of this life. I don’t want to live anymore. Everything’s just ruined; I have nothing left… nothing. I can’t–" He was silenced by Tommy’s lips pressing against his.

He wanted to pull away from Tommy, his lip was busted and the dried blood was something he didn’t want a vampire tasting, not even if it was Tommy. He also wanted to pull away because he probably tasted horrible, good hygiene wasn’t something he could keep up with his current living arrangements. But soon the kiss ended when Tommy pulled back, Adam figured he was grossed out.

"Adam, I’m sorry that this happened to you," Tommy whispered, tone laced with pain, "I am so sorry I wasn’t here to prevent it, I can take revenge on those guys for you. But I won’t take your life. I’m going to help you."

Nine days and an hour after meeting Tommy.

The water was clear when Tommy drew the bath, but once Adam stepped in and sat down in the tub, it slowly started turning dark. Adam would’ve been self-conscious at the fact that Tommy was seeing him completely naked and seeing just how dirty he was but Adam was in pain and Tommy was helping him wash away the blood and dirt from his skin. It slightly helped Adam’s nervousness that the bathroom was lit by candles, not much could be seen if he kept enough shadow on it. He hadn’t spoke a word since Tommy brought him back to the room that he first encountered Tommy in.

Tommy was washing away some of the dried blood from the side of his face when Adam hissed at the pain that the soap caused when Tommy rubbed it. He mumbled quietly, "I’m sorry."

Adam spared a glance to Tommy, "I-It’s fine…" he was silent as Tommy avoided the spot but tried getting as much of the blood and dirt off as he could. When he moved to another section of Adam’s skin, Adam asked the question that was running through his head, "So… you said you’ll help me? …in exchange for my life?"

He watched as Tommy put down the washcloth and sat back on the floor. "Adam, I told you all the things I can give you. I can provide you a place to stay if you need time to decide, you could’ve stayed here in the first place or came back to me instead of those shelters. I can get food for you and I can clothe you while you think about the decision, but I’d like some things in exchange."

Adam scowled and replied without thinking, "But I don’t want to be a monster."

And maybe that wasn’t the right thing to say and maybe he did feel regret instantly at the fall of Tommy’s face. His eyes turned cold and he pursed his lips, his tone was as cold as his gaze, "Where else are you hurt?"

Adam hesitated to answer, the look in Tommy’s eyes and the tone of his voice made him flinch, "I… m-my stomach and back… th-they’re bruised."

Tommy didn’t pick up the washcloth again, but he shed his leather jacket that he’d been wearing and dropped it on the floor. His shoes came off next, and Adam watched in confusion until panic quickly replaced that when Tommy straddled him in the tub that was barely big enough for him, his black shirt and jeans were still on, getting soaked in the dirty water. Adam tried to move back and away from him but Tommy placed a hand on his shoulder, a cold shiver went through his spine, and Adam took that as a warning to stay still.

His freehand slipped under Adam’s chin, bringing it up as he lowered until his lips were hovering against Adam’s, "Would a monster do this?" He asked as his tongue licked at the busted part of Adam’s lip.

Adam struggled to pull away, thinking that Tommy was going to open the wound again and drink his blood. Instead he was astonished when there was a tingly feeling going through his lip, he brought a hand up to touch it and found the wound was gone. He turned his gaze to Tommy in amazement but Tommy ignored it as he looked at the cut along Adam’s cheek. He leaned up and placed a kiss on the cut before swiping his tongue across it, leaving behind a string of saliva. The cut was healing almost instantly.

Tommy lowered his lips to Adam’s ear, "Would a monster want to heal someone they could kill in a heartbeat?" His tongue licked up the side of his ear and a shiver went through Adam but it wasn’t one of warning, it was one that caused blood to rush downwards.

"T-Tommy–" Adam was cut off with a moan when Tommy quickly covered his lips with his own.

Adam’s mouth was still at first but started moving against Tommy’s, it was shocking how his fear of the vampire had turned into something else. Something that was driving him wild with the need for. Tommy’s tongue slipped against Adam’s lips, wanting entrance, which Adam gave him as he sucked on the wet muscle.

But Tommy only pulled back before it got too heavy, and Adam realized why, he was starting to feel dizzy now.

"That’s just a little something I’m gonna leave you with to numb the pain in your back and stomach as you clean."

Adam looked up at him, almost completely relaxed and feeling slightly drunk. "What… where are you–"

"I’m going to get some clothes for you, I’ll bring back some nourishment for you and get a meal for this monster while I’m out," Tommy stated, his stone still as stone cold as before.

"I-I’m sorry, Tommy, I’m so–" Adam started to say but Tommy simply walked out of the room, leaving Adam to himself. He looked down at his hands that were now clean and sighed, "I just hang on and suffer well."

Nine days and three hours after meeting Tommy.

Adam sat on the bed that he remembered waking up in a little over a week ago. He felt a little awkward on the bed because he was only covered up in a towel; once he was clean from the bath he wasn’t going to even touch his old clothes. He felt rather embarrassed now that Tommy had saw just how bad it’d gotten for him, how filthy he was, and how broken he’d became after everything.

The softness of the bed drew his mind away from his thoughts; it seemed like forever since he’d laid on anything as soft. The cots at the shelter were hard, the blankets left him itchy the day after, and it barely provided any warmth during the night. He sighed to himself, he had tried everything to keep out of the situation he was in, but it seemed like it just sucked him in all at once.

Adam looked over at the clock on the bedside table and was amazed that the numbers were actually moving. He figured it was because Tommy wasn’t there, but then again, Tommy wasn’t there last time after he’d woken up and the time was stopped then. Maybe Tommy was too busy to make time stand still for the time being.

It’d been awhile since Tommy left. Adam would be lying if he said he wasn’t worried about him, he didn’t really mean the monster comment. Hell, Tommy proved to be the furthest from being considered a monster, protecting him, healing him, and even saving him. Yet there was the matter of the vampires that attacked him. He wondered if Tommy was just special or if vampires could choose to be compassionate.

Lost in his thoughts, he hadn’t noticed that he had lain back on the bed. It wasn’t surprising; the bed was alluring, more comfy than the bed in his apartment he lost. He missed that place, but it wasn’t even close to being somewhere he’d call ‘home.’ With that last trip down memory lane, his eyes closed.

Nine days and three hours after meeting Adam.

Tommy wiped at the blood on his chin with the bottom of his shirt to try to clean it all off, there was no point in proving Adam about him being a monster. He glared at the door of his room, he was pissed but he was also sad. He thought that if anything, he proved to Adam that he wasn’t a monster like others he knew, at least, he proved it to himself he wasn’t. Hell, he hadn’t even tried jumping the man’s bones. He confirmed that the bath moment didn’t count since it was mostly to help numb Adam up so he could get out of there.

He calmed himself down with the hunt while he was out, the abandoned neighborhood where he found Adam was now missing a small gang. Tommy said he would take care of the guys that harmed Adam, he kept his word. While he was out, he bought some food for Adam, if shoplifting was considered buying, and one of his good human friends gave him some clothes for the man. It helped to be immortal and still have connections with the human world.

Sighing to himself, he opened the door to his room to the sound of a soft snoring. He almost laughed at the sight on his bed. Adam looked like a little kid when he slept; his mouth ajar, drooling falling from his lip and his arms curled around a pillow. Tommy assumed he was a big fan of cuddling by the he was holding the pillow.

It must’ve been hard on the guy to lose pretty much everything he had. Tommy had already been down that road but he lost more than belongings. Sure, he didn’t have that great of a human life but it was joyous at times, he could understand how Adam felt about his deal, but he’d be there every step of the way. Adam could still live life in the human world, in the sunlight, be a member of society and still go to his family when he needed to. Being immortal didn’t change that, it just took awhile to become adjusted to the idea.

Tommy placed the food and the clothes down on one of the tables in the room. With a blink the candles around him flickered with fire, giving a dim light to the room. He walked over to the bed and pulled up the blanket on Adam’s half-naked body, the goose-bumps were enough to see that the man was cold.

He let his leather jacket fall to the floor as he crawled up on the bed beside Adam. He was wide awake and due to the big meal he had, he was alive and ready for anything but he closed his eyes and allowed his mind to wander. Thinking mostly of Adam, how it’d be to have him as a partner for this undead life, how he remembers hearing his voice singing in the bar, how it’d be to have him sing to him and only him, and how it’d feel to connect with him, soul and undead soul, heart and undead heart, body and undead body. He sighs at the thoughts.

Faintly he hears a shift beside him, and he figured it was just Adam moving to a more comfortable position but with the calling of his name, his eyes snap open to see a sleep-filled pair of bluish gray eyes looking at him.

"Tommy… I-I’m sorry," Adam’s hand crossed the bed and his fingers touch Tommy’s cold hand until they wrap around it. "I wasn’t… I wasn’t calling you a monster. I’m so sorry."

And in that moment, Tommy sees the guy that he grew fond of. The look in Adam’s eyes, it’s the look he had at the bar when he was singing, it was the look in his eyes when he politely turned down the girls, it was the look in his eyes that made Tommy’s undead heart flutter like a damn butterfly. And he knew that Adam meant his words.

Nine days and four hours after meeting Adam.

Tommy had just fallen in love with the man all over again.

His hand squeezed Adam’s gently, and a smile crossed his lips, "It's okay, Adam. I thought I had proved it to you that I wasn’t monster but I guess–"

Adam spoke up, looking down at their hands, "No, you did, I wasn’t thinking earlier… but I guess I was scared or pissed at my own misfortune to see it but I was also frightened by those vampires that attacked me too… maybe I thought I’d be one of them." He paused and his eyes connected with Tommy’s, "I wouldn’t become one of those monsters, would I?"

Tommy was taken aback by that question, Adam was considering his deal? "You’re… you want it?"

The black haired man’s eyes grew sad for a moment, "I have nothing to lose… but please, tell me, I won’t be like one of those vampires that attacked me."

"I won’t allow that to happen; vampires only behave according to how their creators taught them. It’s like teaching a child, even if the person is grown and had some sense of being as a human, once you get turned, it’s like a second birth."

"Will I still have my memories?"

"Of course, if you didn’t have me as I promised you’ll never walk alone, they would become your best friend," Tommy replied, sadly, his memories were his best friend but hopefully that would change if Adam said yes.

"I’ll still be able to visit my family? Will I have to kill people when I drink from them? Will I burst into flames if I walk in daylight like on Buffy? Will I be allowed to sing at the bar again?" Adam’s questions kept coming until finally Tommy stopped them with his lips pressing against Adam’s.

But when he started to pull back to reply, Adam stopped him, his mouth slightly opening to suck on Tommy’s lower lip. A moan erupted in Tommy’s throat, his tongue swiping over Adam’s lips before he pulled back and covered Adam’s lips with his, their tongues meeting and rubbing against each other. Adam soon began sucking on Tommy’s tongue and he knew that it was the effect that his saliva had. It was perfect for numbing people before he fed from them.

He broke away to see a blissful expression on Adam’s face, even he felt dizzy from the kiss. "Adam…" he tried to think of what he was going to say, and then it dawned on him, "your questions… you’ll be able to go see your family, yes, you can still sing anywhere you want to, you can walk in daylight and leave the feeding to me. I promise I’ll take care of you if you’ll stay with me."

Nine days and five hours after meeting Tommy.

Adam tried to gather his thoughts together; the effect of Tommy’s kiss was doing wonders to his mind. He tried wrapping his mind around what Tommy said. He shook the feeling, "You promise that you won’t let me become a monster like the ones that attacked me? You’ll help me be like you?"

Tommy smiled softly, "I won’t let that happen to you, I promise."

Adam hesitated for a moment, his eyes shifting between Tommy’s eyes and his lips. He closed his eyes and took a deep breath, "O-okay… I accept your offer."

His eyes opened when he felt Tommy’s hand caress the side of his face, his eyes were focused on Adam and his tone was serious, "Are you completely sure?"

Adam nodded, gulping down the lump of fear in his throat, "Yes."