Playing the Angel

III. Precious

I want you to sing.

Naked, completely bare of anything but the black sheets tangling their bodies, Adam lay against Tommy. Sweat coated Adam’s back as he felt Tommy’s hand stroke circles on his flesh. His heart was pounding in his chest, his breathing was slowing back to normal, but his mind was still basking in the afterglow.

Vaguely he wondered why Tommy simply kissed him after he accepted his offer, but the kissing led into the mess they were in right now and he definitely enjoyed that. He figured Tommy would’ve wasted no time in turning him, that he would claim him after taking his life. But it seemed like he was taking his time, maybe he was letting Adam enjoy his last few moments of being alive.

He glanced at the clock on the bedside table and almost laughed when he saw that the numbers weren’t moving anymore. His eyes trailed over to the vampire he was lying against to see that Tommy was staring at the ceiling; he looked lost in his thoughts. That was probably the reason why time had stopped, Tommy was thinking, and from the way he was focusing so heavily on the ceiling, he must’ve been thinking hard.

I want you to sing for me.

Adam laid his head back down on Tommy’s chest and sighed. His hand trailed the cool skin of Tommy’s stomach for a moment until he heard a slight thump and another, and then another in his ear. He frowned, moving his head slightly to where he knew Tommy’s dead heart would be. There was a faint heartbeat in Tommy’s chest.

That confused Adam. Weren’t vampires supposed to be completely dead? No heartbeat, no living organs anymore, no blood flow? But then he thought about it, Tommy got it up during their intercourse so he had to have blood flow, and the heartbeat that he was hearing now, it was evident that his blood was still flowing.

“You have a heartbeat,” he whispered.

He felt Tommy shift; probably looking down at him, then his chest moved as he chuckled, vibrating Adam, “Yes, I still have a heartbeat. It doesn’t fully stop; it only slows to where it’s almost faint.”

“I guess that’s something that those writers got wrong then?”

“Humans like to exaggerate,” Tommy replied, his hand moving up Adam’s back to run through Adam’s hair. It had dried but it was rather damp due to the sweat that was produced.

Adam leaned into the movement of Tommy’s hand, which felt great against his scalp. “What were you thinking so hard about?” He paused and voiced another question, “By the way, will I be able to stop time after you turn me?”

“I’m afraid you won’t, the secret behind time stopping in my room was due to the witch that used to reside here. She cast some kind of spell on the place because she was scared of dying but she died not too long after the spell, thought it would keep her from aging or something. She was over sixty already so there wasn’t any chance of it.

“I offered immortality to her but she refused, said I was a demon; she didn’t want to be a demon as ironic as her being into the dark arts. After she died, I took her place, and noticed that each time I was consumed in thought that the clock right there,” he pointed to the one that Adam saw a moment ago, “the numbers wouldn’t move. But when I was wishing for nightfall to hurry and come because I was hungry or wanted to roam the streets, the time sped up for me.”

Adam glanced up at him, “I thought you said we could go out in the sunlight, why’d you have to wait until nightfall?”

“Because I like the night more, we can survive in sunlight, we can bask in the sun if we wanted to but after being a night owl for most of my mortal and immortal life, I’ve only been out in the sun once or twice since my undead life began.”

Looking at the pasty-white skin of Tommy’s chest and his arms, it was obvious that he didn’t go out in the sun much. He doubted that the guy had even seen the light of day in awhile. He wondered if he would want to stay in with Tommy during the day after he turned or if he’d want to walk the streets with everyone else during the day and snicker at the fact that they were unaware of the undead being walking side by side with them. The undead being that was living life the same way they were.

I want you to sing to me.

He shook his head, “So, what were you thinking about?”

Tommy didn’t answer right off, he mulled over the response for a moment causing Adam to shift in positions, his head propped on Tommy’s shoulder now. His breath against Tommy’s throat was almost causing the vampire to squirm. Adam noticed the hard gulp that Tommy took and smirked, leaning up, he placed a kiss at the base of Tommy’s throat, right above a purplish mark that decorated his skin from earlier.

“Tommy?”

A deep breath, in and out, and then came Tommy’s reply, “I was wondering if you’ll sing for me?”

That question caught Adam off-guard. He was curious as to why Tommy was thinking so hard on that, did he think that Adam would refuse or was he scared of the response? That was part of the deal he agreed to, to sing for him, to him, he could even sing while they were fucking if Tommy wanted it.

He stroked Tommy’s jaw line, his eyes watching him, “You have any music that I could sing to for you? I can sing without it but I like having music too, if that’s okay with you.”

“It’s none of the music you’ve sang at the bar… do you know any Manson songs?”

Adam chuckled; he was going to give his life to a death metal fan? “I’m sorry, I don’t.”

Tommy thought for a moment and after listing off some other bands, Adam assumed they were underground bands because he hadn’t even heard of them, he started to just say that he could sing without music. But the last band name he said before he suggested that caught Adam’s attention.

“Depeche Mode,” Adam repeated cheerfully, at least he listened to one band Tommy spoke of, well, sort of. “I only know two of their songs.”

Tommy laughed, “Enjoy The Silence?” Hell that was the only song the people he met said they knew of them.

“Yes, that one and there was another one of theirs that I really liked: Precious. Do you have that one?”

Tommy smiled softly, “I do. And it is a beautiful song,” he said moving his hand from Adam’s head and untangling himself from the blankets and the black haired man, “I don’t care too much for the ‘God’ concept but I can see why some people believe in it.” He stood up from the bed, naked as a jaybird but white as a ghost, and walked over to the stereo in the corner of the room.

“I don’t either but the lyrics were rather beautiful, after meeting some of the people in my life, I would believe in angels but they only turned out to be devils in the end.”

I want you to sing to me for all eternity.

Adam watched as he looked through CD cases and fumbled with the buttons on the stereo, his eyes roaming over Tommy’s body. He had to say that he got lucky when he was rescued by Tommy, aside from being too white for Adam’s likings he was a beautiful man. The angles of his shoulders, the slight curve of his stomach, the dip that led to what Adam could drool over, the almost nonexistent ass that was still enough to grab, and the short but perfect legs, everything was beautiful about the man.

“If I wasn’t enjoying it, I’d ask you to stop raping me with your eyes,” Tommy commented; his eyes were still on the CDs in his hands but a smirk was tugging at his lips.

Adam chuckled, “I’m admiring, not raping.”

“I think the drool discredits that remark,” Tommy replied as he set a CD inside the player.

Adam wiped quickly at his mouth only to find that he wasn’t drooling after all. He assumed he was since he was enjoying the view and the thoughts of their fucking from earlier were still clouding his mind. He glared playfully at Tommy, “Asshole.”

Tommy winked at him and pressed a button, the flow of the song starting to come from the speakers filled the room. Tommy turned up the volume a little more, made his way back to the bed, and laid back down beside Adam. His fingers were tapping along with the beat of the song on the black sheets.

Adam smiled at him and waited for his cue to start singing, he propped himself up on his elbow so he could have the perfect view of Tommy’s face. “Precious and fragile things need special handling, my God, what have we done to you?” So the guy singing had a deeper voice than Adam, but the two voices together flowed easily. “We always tried to share the tenderest of care, now look what we have put you through.”

The peaceful expression on Tommy’s face made Adam feel so warm inside, when he hit the chorus, Tommy seemed to melt into him. His eyes closed and Adam saw his chest rise and fall with the deep breath he took. Adam shifted before the second verse started; he was straddling Tommy’s thighs now, the blanket keeping their skin only threads apart.

Tommy’s eyes opened, not because of the movement but as Adam started to sing the second verse. “Angels with silver wings shouldn’t know suffering.” His eyes were different from before, they were the slightly glowing, leaving a honey brown color to his eyes, and Adam felt like they were looking into his soul, “I wish I could take the pain for you,” Tommy’s hand found Adam’s and laced their fingers, making Adam’s eyes wonder down to their hands.

He squeezed his hand and continued to sing, “If God has a masterplan that only He understands,” Adam smiled and his eyes found Tommy’s again, “I hope it’s your eyes He’s seeing through.”

He seriously hoped that if there was a God that Tommy’s eyes were the ones he was seeing through, he was a protector, he was true on his word, and he certainly gave a meaning to Adam’s life. His thoughts of the shelters he was staying at, the hunger in his stomach, the filthiness that was his life a week ago, the apartment he lost, and the failure that he knew himself as, all that was washed away with the promise of a better life. One that Tommy was willing to give him and he felt that being with Tommy, it could only get better.

“Things get damaged, things get broken, I thought we’d manage but words left unspoken left us so brittle, there was so little left to give.” The line was true on so many accounts with Adam’s past relationships; he only hoped that it wouldn’t happen with Tommy.

Adam was lost in the song and his thoughts until Tommy shifted and flipped them to where he was straddling Adam. He was startled at first but Tommy lifted their laced hands up to his lips and kissed the back of Adam’s hand. His eyes connecting with Adam’s again and he brought their hands down to where his heart was.

And as Adam started to sing, Tommy’s lips moved with the words of the song, his eyes never leaving Adam’s, “I pray you learn to trust. Have faith in both of us, and keep room in your heart for two.”

The last part of the song, the last time the chorus is sung again, Adam wasn’t able to sing it with Tommy’s lips covering his. Their mouths moving against each other’s, and Adam felt it in the kiss that Tommy was asking him to trust him, wanting him to stay by his side, needing him to be with him for, as Tommy said, as long as the Earth’s days last. Tommy pulled back and pecked his lips one more time before the song ended.

He smiled at Adam and leaned forward, his lips pressing against Adam’s earlobe and he licked along the shell of his ear before whispering, “Are you ready?” Adam was about to question him but his mouth closed when Tommy nuzzled against his throat. “It’ll hurt when I pierce the flesh but I’ll try to make you as comfortable as possible. Do you trust me?”

“I do, Tommy, I trust you completely.” Adam replied, he moved his head to the side to expose more of his neck, his hands tangled in the blond mess that was Tommy’s hair, encouraging him, and he waited.

“I love you, Adam,” Tommy murmured against the side of his neck as he pressed a small kiss to the flesh.

Before Adam could reply or recover from surprise at his words, Tommy’s fangs broke the skin of Adam’s neck and he started drinking. Tommy was right, it did hurt, a silent cry was caught in Adam’s throat, tears filled his eyes but didn’t fall, and he gripped Tommy’s hair tighter. He could hear Tommy as he gulped down his life-source, he could feel himself getting weaker with each gulp.

His hands loosened their grip on Tommy’s hair and soon fell limp on the bed, his eyes were finding it hard to stay open, and his breath was becoming faint. Tommy finally pulled back from him and with a nip at his wrist, he pressed it against Adam’s mouth, the darker than usual blood dripped against Adam’s freckled lips. Adam didn’t know where he found the strength to open his mouth or move his tongue but he lapped at the blood until he started sucking on Tommy’s wrist.

Tommy was pouring immortal life into his mouth and he was willing to take as much as Tommy would give him until his eyelids started closing, his mouth stopped moving, and his world started fading to black.

“Sleep well, Adam, I’ll be right here when you wake,” was the last thing Adam heard as everything went silent and his mind gave way to the dreamless sleep.

I want you to sing forever.