Status: Updated Every So Often

Always Had Your Way

Four.

Josh stared at Dan who had just collapsed to the couch. A look of anger, fear, and shock were just some of the few emotions that crossed his face as he stared at the papers Anais had handed to him just moments prior. He had to know this was coming though. She had left a year ago. She wasn't happy. And she wasn't exactly jumping into his arms and begging for forgiveness like he had hoped. Divorce was her only option.

"Well, he's taking it better than I expected." Josh mused, trying to clear the awkward tension that had now filled the tiny house.

Brighten let out a soft sigh, feeling sorry for both Dan and Anais. "I'm Brighten, by the way." She turned to him and gave him a bright smile while holding out his hand.

"Josh." He smiled back, shaking her hand noticing how soft and warm they were despite the cool temperature of the house.

Brighten cleared her throat and said, "You can left go now." Josh immediately pulled away not realizing how lost in the moment he was getting. Sure, he met beautiful girls every night, but none so captivating as Brighten.

"Sorry," He looked down to his feet. She giggled at the red hue rising in his cheeks.

Anais was rummaging through the refrigerator trying to find something remotely edible for her and Brighten to share. But so far she was having no luck as the only thing that seemed to fill up space was beer, beer, and more beer. She shifted through it sighing once she saw an abandoned piece of uneaten cheese that was starting to turn green.

"It's a wonder you guys are even still alive with this piss poor diet." Anais said, closing the refrigerator and turning to look at Brighten and Josh who had just entered the room. "Beer, so nutritious."

"It satisfies." Josh defended. Though he would be lying if he said he didn't miss the homecooked meals his mother and Anais would make. He could only handle so much more take out and ramen noodles before his body would cannibalize itself.

"It also makes you fat, dear brother." Anais said, poking at his pudgy stomach and laughing lightly.

"At least I'm gaining weight." Josh muttered, not exactly happy with his sister right now. He took her figure in and noticed she had lost more weight than when she had left, leaving her with a just barely visible figure.

"OY!" A voice yelled from the front door before Anais could retort back, which both Josh and Brighten were grateful for knowing the fire that danced on her tongue. "What's up with you, mate?" The voice asked as it passed Dan and continued on into the kitchen. "What's up with Dan?" They asked once they stepped next to Josh in the kitchen entrance.

"Why don't you ask Anais." Josh suggested, a smirk growing on his face as he looked down at his bandmate and best friend, Max Heyler.

"What the bloody hell are you talking about mate?" He furrowed his eyebrows in confusion. Anais cleared her throat, causing him to snap his head in her direction. Anais and Max, regardless of Dan and Josh, were the bestest of friends growing up. He'd known about her unhappy state and the reason she left Dan, never judging her. For Max was never judgmental. He was just about the sweetest damn person on the face of the earth and loved everyone. Just like Brighten, which was partially the reason Anais had taken to Brighten so quickly when she first moved to the states. She reminded her a bit of home, which despite her reasons for leaving she did miss dearly.

Anais squealed as she ran and jumped into Max's open arms. "Oh my fucking god!" They both shrieked, as he caught her and spun her around.

"Quite the reunion, eh?" Josh nudged Brighten in the ribs lightly.

Brighten stared with an ecstatic smile on her face. "It's cute." She gushed, as Max set her down and they both took each other in.

"You've lost weight." He stated, a small frown appeared on his face.

"Why does everybody keep mentioning that?" Anais looked at all three of them. Brighten just shrugged and offered a small smile.

Max noticed Brighten and walked over to her. "Max Heyler, at your service." He smiled, getting down and one knee and kissing her hand. Josh and Anais both rolled their eyes as Brighten giggled.

"Get up!" Anais smacked the back of his head.

"Ouch." Max rubbed the back of his head and got up.

"Max," Anais said slowly. "This is Brighten. My best friend, other than you." She quickly added seeing the look on his face.

Max's eyes grew slightly wider than usual. "Brighten? Our opening act?"

"Ye--wait, what?" Brighten started, but stopped letting the confusion encompass her face. "O-opening act?"

"Oh uhm yeah." Anais nodded. "The boys needed an opening act and it's possible I volunteered you."

"You didn't even ask!" Brighten protested. She would love to do the tour, but Anais just went ahead and booked her without even checking with her about it. Sure, she had nothing going on, but it was the principle of the situation.

"Will you do it, please? VersaEmerge dropped out last minute and Anais sort of saved us when she suggested you." Josh explained, trying to be sincere and ask her.

Brighten's hardened expression softened. "Of course I will." She smiled at both Josh and Max.

"Great, it's settled then!" Anais clapped her hands together.

"No, it's not mate." Max shook his head. Anais looked at him confused. "We sorta need a instrument tech."

"No." The words immediately flew out of her mouth. She didn't even have to think twice about it. Instruments included drums. And drums meant Dan. Someone she did not want to be anywhere close to.

"Oh, come on Is!" Both Josh and Max pleaded, getting on their knees and desperately groveling. Something they knew annoyed Anais so much. Her hands balled into fist and she resisted the urge to punch them both.

"Fine!" Max yelled out in excitement and Josh hugged her.

"Hey," Max furrowed his eyebrows, catching the gleam coming from her hand. Brighten saw Dan slowly walk into the room, with the divorce papers still in his hand. "What's that?"

"Oh, nothing." Anais quickly hid her hand. She wasn't sure why she wanted to keep her engagement a secret. She was happy, yes. Maybe it had something to do with Dan entering the room and for some reason she didn't want him to find out this way. She didn't want to hurt him anymore.

Josh grabbed ahold of her hand and his and Max's eyes grew wide. "Is that an engagement ring?" Max asked, looking from the ring to Anais.

Anais closed her eyes, willing this to all go away. More importantly to avoid the look of heartbreak on Dan's face.
♠ ♠ ♠
Ohshit. Anais's outfit btw
So what do you guys think will happen?

Thank you to those who have been commenting.
It truly does mean alot.
So keep doing it, ya?
Thank you.

Comment/subscribe.