Status: updating soon

It's a Cold World

CHAPTER 1: The beginning

**8 Year old Dante:

"Where the hell have you been at?" my step dad yelled at me, with a half drunken bottle of alcohol. "I-I went to s-school like I was suppose to.." I stuttered. "Didn't I tell you, not to leave this house again?" "B-but I have to go to school or the teache-" I couldn't even finish my sentence because, I felt a hard cold hand slap me across my face.

I stumbled to the ground crying, holding my face. I bet you all are wondering where my mother is. Well, she's sitting right over there on the couch. She is the one that told me to go school, but do you think that she would tell him that? Of course not. She does not want to get beating either. She never stands up for me or for herself.

"Get yo ass up!!" He yelled at me. I started to get up, but I guess I was moving to slow because he then shouted, "FASTER!" I jumped up at the sudden anger in his voice, and never looked him in the face. This has been going on since I was 6 years old.

He stood infront of me for a few minutes, without saying anything. His voice startled me when he spoke all of a sudden. "You know what" he said with a little laugh at the end, "I really don't give a fuck anymore. You can do whatever you want. Run free for all I care. Jump in front of a car. Your not my damn child." And with that, he stumbled to his bedroom and slammed the door.

I felt the tears coming and there's nobody I can run to. I'm out here in this world on my own. When I was 5, my only grandmother passed away from cancer. That was a big tragedy, well for me it was. My mother seemed to not care. She never cares.

I looked over at her. She didn't even say a word to me and he was gone now. She simply stood up, and went to the room he went in. I would not say our home is not decent. At least it's a roof. I'm now standing here by myself. Was he really serious about not caring anymore?

I suddenly felt my stomach growl. I walk to the kitchen and opened the fridge. Absolutely nothing is in here. I walked over to the pantry, and I got the same result. NOTHING. My stomach made another growl and I frowned. That's all I ever do. Rarely smile.

Well, if they seem to not care anymore, then they wont mind me leaving to go find something to eat. I tip toed to the door. I opened it lightly and then I was gone. If they don't care, then I don't care.

I walked down the street passing by every girl that barely had clothes on, and I passed by several guys that was smoking extra large cigars. One guy I seen on corner was counting all of his money, and it was A LOT. It would not hurt to ask for a couple of dollars I don't think. I walked up to the guy, and he just stood there staring at me.

"Is there something I can help you with little man?" He asked.
He doesn't sound like he's over 19.

"Can I have a dollar?" I asked pointing to his hand. He looked at his money and back at me. "What you need it for?" he asked me unsure of what to do.
"Food" I simply said. His mood then calmed.
"Yea, sure why not." Then he handed me not only a dollar, but five dollars.
"Thank you mister" I said. He smiled and nodded and I walked away. I have to find some food.

I was walking by the park when I seen this boy around my age, sitting on a bench alone. Maybe he needs a friend just like I do. After staring at the boy, I found myself walking over to him. He was my skin color (caramel complex), and his hair was dark brown like mines too.

I sat down next to him and he looked over to me. I looked back at him. The only difference between us really, is our eye color and our face structure. His eyes are light brown, while mines are hazel like.

"Hi. I'm Dante." I said in a low tone. He smiled and replied, "I'm Cory."
Cory? Cool name I thought.
"Why are you here alone?" I asked him. He shrugged and then said, "I have nobody." He frowned when he spoke. For some reason, that made me happy. If he has nobody, and I have nobody, we both can have each other.
"Well, I am alone too. Maybe we can be friends." A smile started to slowly creep upon his face. "Sure. I would like that."

I stood up and asked, "so are you hungry? I have enough money for me and you to get something." He jumped up at the sound of food.
"Yea. I'm starving."
"Then let's go." We headed to the closest grocery market to find something to ease are hungry stomach.

I am too happy right now. I finally have someone. I no longer have to stand alone.

10 minutes later, we were at JERRY'S SUPER MARKET. We walked in together and looked around. OK, we have to be smart with the little money we have. I was standing in front of the sodas, and I absolutely have no idea where Cory went. I'll just settle for a sprite. When I turned around, I was face to face with Cory, who had every candy and bag of chips in his hand. Let's not forget the huge kool-aid smile on his face.

I forgot, I didn't tell him how much I had.
"Cory, I only have $5" I said with a light laugh. He dropped everything except the Sneaker's candy bar and bag of Cheeto Puffs. We both laughed and paid for the things. We went back to the park and ate our snacks there.

"So what's your story?" Cory asked me. I told him my whole story, and he told me his. He lives with his mom, and she is well, on drugs. If they don't get enough money then they will be put out. I frowned at the information I received. Cory shrugged and said that he was not worried about it because he's going to run away.

"Are you sure about that?" I asked him.
"Positive. You want to come with me?" he asked.
What do I have to loose? I basically have no family.
"Sure." We both made a pack to never turn our backs on each other.
♠ ♠ ♠
plz comment and subscribe :) !! thnx for reading the first chapter