Status: Sorry about the wait, but Kailee might be sleeping for a little while longer...I'm in the middle of a move sadly! I'll be back to writing soon.

Desire

No Need For Introductions

North…

Duncan North.
The realization flowed like a fire hose on full blast. 8th grade ‘tough guy’ who needed help in math…he was one of my best friends...my two-year crush…but wait...
“Hey there Pages, long time no see.” He said coolly, looking her over.
He moved away a year ago…
“I’m not the one who took off just before the fun started.” She countered as she stuck out her tongue through her grin.
“Oh come on Kailee, you know the fun stopped as soon as I ditched that school.”
“Believe what you wish, Duncan, but the teachers threw a school-wide party once they got rid of you.” She joked as she finally entered the hut.
“Well, sounds like you guys don’t miss me much then.”
She paused, startled. “What? Of course we do. I…”
He interrupted her before she could explain. “Hey, don’t get so worked up,” He smirked “I know, I’m just being a jerk about it.” He pulled two foldable chairs together and sat backwards on his, motioning for her to take the other.
“You better know.” She scolded while taking her seat. ‘Cause I miss you like crazy…
“I miss you too, Kai.” He told her in a soft, considerate tone. His genuine expression momentarily distracted her from noticing that he had responded to something she hadn’t said, but once she caught it, she immediately dismissed it as a coincidence anyway. There was a long moment of thought and blushing until she finally formed a question.

“…So how have you been?” Lame. She thought Don’t be so lame.
“Well you know me. Voted most popular even as a freshmen, quarterback on the football team, all the ladies want me. Same old, same old.” He boasted casually, “But hey, what can you expect when you’re this good looking?” He pointed his thumbs towards himself and gave an exaggerated smile as if his teeth would twinkle. She punched him in the arm, knocking him off balance for a moment.
“Yeah, and I was picked for Playboy Bunny of October.” She joked through a sarcastic grin, “And I didn’t even audition.”

He regained himself and his trademark look of mischief took control over his expressions. And he looked absolutely ecstatic; not a good sign.
“Oh, I see Pages wants to fight dirty, catching people off guard like that. Well, I can play dirty too.”
Oh crap he’s gonna…
Before she even had time to make her thought a sentence, he was out of his chair and behind her. He grabbed her by the waist and removed her from her seat by force, landing them both on the floor.
And so it began.
“SO WE MEET AGAIN, KAILEE PAGE!” he bellowed, “PREPARE TO MEET YOUR DEMISE!”
Duncan tickled her slim sides fiercely, without any signs of mercy. She begged for him to stop in between giggles as she tried to twist her way out of the predicament. But today he wasn’t holding back, and she just happened to be particularly ticklish for some reason.

After a good minute of torture and maniacal laughter from her captor, Kai was finally released and left sitting on the floor, straightening out her shirt. He looked down at her from where he was standing and offered his hand even though she didn’t really need it. She accepted his gesture, took his forearm and popped up from the ground with a bit of a bounce as she rose towards him. And in that moment a thought struck so bluntly that she would fallen back to the ground if she hadn’t still been holding on to Duncan.

Where am I?

She stopped practically in midair and stumbled, just barely catching herself. Duncan’s eyes asked what was wrong before his mouth did, so she let the question spill out before he could utter the words.
“Where are we?”
He paused and stared at her, and she saw that, just as she was, he was searching his memory for the answer. They both came up with the same result: nothing.
“We’re…” he trailed off.
She locked her gaze on his expression of blank confusion as she thought of everything she knew about this place. Or at least, she performed the action of thinking…the entire contents of her mind blurred together and she could picture it all as it swirled in circles around her brain.
Duncan… Something told her, Don’t let him go…

Let him go? She managed to think through the madness, Why would I…

She soon got her answer. The edges of her line of sight were rapidly being engulfed by darkness, like the formless claws of a black beast reaching around her skull and tearing away her view of the boy. Her thoughts screamed for him, for the monster to cease its attack, but it was no use. Duncan’s expression never changed as she felt herself being pulled away.
The claws were approaching her eyes now, and she clamped her lids shut in a forlorn attempt to protect herself. Don’t let him go… the words chanted through every open space in her head, clustering and shouting as if each phrase wished to be the loudest. Clawing, screaming, echoing, all compacted and blended together to the point that she couldn’t decipher anything. Just noise. Only noise. And then, a sharp stab of nothing.