Status: Completed. Now go check out the sequel

We're Not Perfect

Chapter 1

I don’t know how long I was waiting when I saw a guy with blonde and brown hair come running in, looking frantic. I stayed where I was, watching him as he ran back and forth, obviously looking for someone. After a few minutes, he saw me watching.

“Are you Rylii Mabbitt?” he asked, approaching. I nodded.

“And you are?”

He sighed in relief. “The name’s Monte. Monte Money. I’m in Craig’s band; he sent me to get you.”

Monte took most of my bags, and led me out to the parking lot and to his car. We got everything in the back seat and left.

“Are you ok?” he asked, looking over at me.

“I’m fine, just not used to this heat,” I replied. This definitely wasn’t the place to wear long sleeves. I tugged on the ends anyways, looking out the window. I’d have to figure something else out; I wasn’t planning on letting Craig see what I’d done. Monte and I didn’t talk the rest of the way home, but I could feel his occasional glances.

We eventually pulled into a neighborhood and Monte parked in front of a two-story house. There were three other cars in the driveway and front yard, which I assumed belonged to the rest of the band. “This is it,” Monte said, getting out.

As we got my things out, the door opened, and I turned in time for Craig to pick me up and spin me around. I hugged him tightly when he set me back on the ground; I couldn’t believe how much I’d missed him. We helped Monte take my things up to the porch before going in. The other two in the band were out, but Craig said I’d meet them later.

As I was shown to my room, Craig explained that I had the largest room. The house had been remodeled after the band bought it, and most of the rooms were divided to make extra bedrooms; I was the only one on the first floor. The guys shared the top floor. Monte left us alone, which I didn’t mind. Craig and I took the time to catch up. Sort of. I gave him the basics of what had happened with me, but obviously left a lot out. Eventually, Craig told me the band had a meeting, but everyone would be home after that. “Mom said you didn’t spend much time at home, but I’d like it if you stayed here at least for tonight,” Craig said. I nodded in assent.

I had a few hours to myself before everyone got back, so I took the opportunity to get my fix. I found a bottle of Advil in the kitchen, with enough pills for three prescribed doses. It was the perfect number for me though. I quickly swallowed the pills before returning to my room. As I unpacked, I wrote on my walls in sharpie. It didn’t take long for a collection of story ideas and partial song lyrics to appear. Mom always got pissed at me for writing on the walls, but Craig said I could decorate any way I wanted, so I took the opportunity.

I heard the guys come in; it was hard not to, they were talking pretty loud. A few minutes later, Craig knocked on my door. He waited for me to open it, instead of opening it immediately. “You want to come meet the rest of the guys?” he asked, looking at my walls with a slight smile.

“Sure,” I replied.

On the way to the living room, I heard someone ask about the painkillers. “I could’ve sworn there were still a few doses left,” they said. I didn’t recognize the voice. Craig turned back to me. “I know you’ve had a pretty long day. Did you take any?” he asked.

“Didn’t know you had any,” I said, looking down. I hated lying to my brother, but I couldn’t tell him that I’d finished off the bottle. Nobody would suspect me anyway.

“Hey guys, come meet Rylii,” Craig called out. Monte was sitting on the couch, doing something on his phone. He nodded and smiled slightly before going back to whatever it was he was doing. Craig introduced me to Max and Robert. I recognized Robert’s voice as being the one asking about the pills.

After the introductions, we all sat there awkwardly for a few minutes, before Robert announced he was going to bed because of his headache. Monte and Max followed him. Craig stood last, and pulled me into another hug. “I’m so glad you’re here, I’ve missed you,” he said.

“I missed you too,” I mumbled into his chest. He let me go, and headed up the stairs too. I went back to my room, thinking about the guys. Things looked promising; I could be happy here.

And there was something about Max that made him stand out. I couldn’t say exactly what it was, but he interested me.