Sequel: Zee and Todd

York and Mori

Chapter 11 - York

Waking up the next morning, he found that Bear was lying on his bed instead of being with Mori. He got up and made his way down the dark hall with Bear close behind him and knocked on the door, which he found wasn’t actually closed all the way and opened. Walking in, he saw the room was empty and the window opened blowing the shades around.

He sighed as he pulled out his phone and texted her then hear a buzz on her desk and realized that she had left her phone behind. It wasn’t that strange that Mori had ran away, she had done it before and York had even snuck out last night to clear his mind. He figured that she just needed some time to herself, so really didn’t get that worried. She would show up again when she was ready.

Leaving her room open since Bear was exploring inside, he went to the bathroom to get a shower and get ready to leave for school. After he was done and dressed in the usual skinny jeans and random t-shirt, he grabbed his helmet and then headed for the door. When he got outside, he started his bike and realized that he only had a little gas left from the race the night before.

Getting on and starting it up, he let go of the gas and then went down the drive way and to the road checking before entering and zooming down. When he got back into town, he had a little bit of time and decided to go try to find a gas station to fill his bike up. Passing the school, he went further down checking on both sides but there didn’t seem to be any. He was about to turn around and head back into town when he passes a marker on the side of the road saying he was less than five miles from the next town.

Deciding to actually head into the next town, he twisted the gas and made it their in half the time that it would have normally taken. He slowed down when he got to the edge of town and looked around to see if he could find the gas station. When he found one, he pulled in and then stopped his bike at one of the old rusty pumps.

There was no one around as he pulled his wallet out and was about to swipe his card but couldn’t find the slot to swipe it. He realized that since the pump was so old, it didn’t have to option to pay outside. Groaning, he pulled off his helmet and then walked to the dingy little building behind the set of pumps to see they looked as rusty as worn down as the pumps did. When he walked inside, he saw a old man with long graying hair behind the counter smoking a cigarette and half of his face covered behind a magazine.

“Excuse me,” York had to say after standing at the counter stupidly since the man hadn’t seen him come in. The man looked up and grunted looking at York and then looking out the window to check the number of his pump. Since it was the only vehicle there, the man didn’t bother asking which one was his and instantly went to the ancient cash register and began punching the buttons.

“How much?” The man asked shortly, with a raspy smokers voice as he looked back up to York as he was getting money from his wallet. York didn’t say anything as he handed the man the money and then after the man went back to pressing more buttons with a ding to follow, gave York a receipt and then went back to his magazine.

York gave a sigh of relief as he walked out of the building and over to his bike and pulled the nozzle from where it resting in the pump and untwisted his gas cap. After he filled it up, he pulled his helmet back on and then started his bike. Getting back on the deserted road, he began to make his way back to the other side of town. He found that he was already late for school but it didn’t make him want to go any faster.

Usually he had a lead foot when he drove but this time, he was almost wanting to go the speed limit if it meant being even more late for school. After how well the day before had went, he had no urge to be a good student and go to school. Even though he was already heading in that direction, he didn’t want to go.

Forcing himself to turn right and pull into the parking lot, he saw the same bike he had raced the night before there. Smiling and finding a spot as close to the other bike as possible, he cut the engine since it made a lot of noise considering how quiet the town was. There was no traffic noise or train or airplane noise either. It was almost too quiet for the city boy as he walked to the school and made his way down the hall.

He realized that it was almost the end of second period and went to his locker to get the books for the other classes up. Just as he grabbed his last books, the bell rang and all the students began to flood the halls. There was a group of girls that were passing him and giving him dirty looks. They passed him and then went to stand by one of the girls lockers. When one of the girls caught him glancing at them, she sneered and then excused herself from the girls and walked over to him.

“You’re that new kid who was beating Prince up yesterday right?” She asked flipping her perfectly straight long hair over her shoulder.

“You’ve got me confused with someone else.” York replied as he tried to pass her by but she stepped in front of him.

“No I’m pretty sure it’s you. I got a pretty good look at you yesterday.” She replied crossing her arms over the front of her chest. “You know, after the little incident yesterday Prince hasn’t been here since.”

“Oh please,” He moved past her quickly so she wouldn’t try to stop him again and it worked. He started to walk down the hall away from her.

“You’ll regret you ignored me, Yorkie.” She replied as York stopped dead in his step and spun on his heel to face her. Students walked all around them ignoring them except for the group of friends the girl had been talking to before and a few other Prince worshipers.

He noticed that the girl had a smirk to her face as if she had already won. Then he also noticed more people looking at him and the group of friends laughing and patting the girl on the back. And then he felt them. At the top of his head, he felt something strange at the top of his head and the something move at the top of his head.

Forgetting about the other people he turned and made his way to the bathroom down the hall. Pushing past the people as murmurs came from all around him. Pulling open the door, he went to the sinks to where the mirrors hung over them. When he saw his reflection, he gasped as he saw what the girl had done to him.

There, on top of his head were two triangular shaped dog ears on top of his head; to be more specific, Yorkie ears. When he thought of moving them, they twitched on top of his head. The caramel and chocolate splotched ears were small and stood out almost as much as his silver hair. He gripped his hands on the counter edge and sighed as he looked in the mirror again, the ears were still there.

Hearing the bell ring, he stood and grabbed his bag trying to get over what had just happened. Walking out of the bathroom to the nearly empty hall, he began to head toward his class. He didn’t hear the person come up behind him but felt something suddenly come on his head. Pulling the thing off of his head, he saw that it was a black Fedora.

“I thought it might help,” Someone said behind him. He turned to see the cute little blond girl he had seen the day before. “For the um,” She pointed to the top of her head.

“Oh um thanks, how did you know?” He asked as she smiled and then suddenly a pair of large dark ears appeared on her head, and as suddenly they had appeared, they disappeared. “How did you do that?”

“Same thing happened to me.” She replied with a laugh. Reading the look he gave her she took a breath before going into the explanation. “My sister, the red head, well she’s little red riding hood. My first day here when they found that I was her sister, they thought I was the wolf and decided to make it known to everyone here by giving me ears.”

“Red riding hood? Wait then who’s the wolf in that story?” York asked and then realized that he sounded like he was accusing her of actually being the wolf. “I mean, sorry. I didn’t mean it like that. I meant to say who is the wolf since it’s not really known.” She laughed again and he blushed realizing how stupid he sounded.

“No it’s fine. The real wolf was my uncle. He’s a werewolf and he was in the middle of the change when Red came in and he scared her. He didn’t eat her like the news reporters said he just scared her that’s all. It was the main headline in the cities all around and then became a story to scare kids into not wanting to go into the woods. It’s not the big deal everyone made it out to be.”

“A kids story, are you serious!?” She shrugged and nodded. “How did you make yours go away?”

“It takes practice. But when you don’t think about them and relax then they usually go away. You just have to get used to them. Unfortunately it’s irreversible so you’ll have to live with them.” She shrugged, trying to make light of the situation. “Ooh I’m Gretta by the way. I forgot to introduce myself.”

“York,” He replied with a smile. “Thanks for the help by the way.” He pointed to the hat he had coved the ears with and blushed a little at the adorable smile she gave him.

“Hey we have science together don’t we?” She asked as they began to walk down the hall and he nodded shyly. “I thought I recognized you. You’re sister is your lab partner isn’t she?”

“Yeah, but she’s being rebellious and skipped out today!” He sighed as he thought about his sister and wondering where she was. “So I don’t have a lab partner today.” He secretly prayed that she would offer to sub for Mori that day.

“She seems sort of like that. She’s your twin right? You look a lot alike. Same nose and eyes, but I could take her place today if you want.” She looked away and he swore he could see a hit of a blush coloring her cheeks. Smiling on the inside he held in the urge to start to skip and giggle like a girl.

“Yeah that’d be great!” They walked to the door and walked in getting a glare from their teacher when they walked in. Finding one of the last empty seats, thankfully at the same table, they sat quietly and grabbed their books and picked up on the lesson that had already started. York had gotten bored and began to doodle some things on his blank page of notes. When the bell rang, he got up quietly not really knowing what to say and followed Gretta out into the hall.

“What were you drawing in class?” She asked curiously breaking the silence. He blushed as he realized she had noticed and tired to think of something to say.

“Just a random doodle,” He shrugged. “Just a hobby I picked up when I was younger.”

“Ooh mister artsy, next you’re going to tell me you play five instruments and can dance.” She replied as he laughed.

“Well only two, and I can’t dance to save my life.” She gasped and her eyes were wide. “What?”

“You’re unbelievable. And what pray tell are these two instruments have you mastered!?”

“Violin and piano,” He laughed as she gasped as if almost getting excited. “But I’m better at the violin. I’ve only dabbled at piano. I take it you play an instrument also!?”

“You’re very right, I play piano.” They walked further down the hall and she stopped at one of the doors that other kids were also walking into the room. “Well this is me, see you at lunch?”

He smiled and agreed and then watched as she entered the room and then made his way to his class. When he got there, he went through the usual sitting at a desk away from everyone and trying to take notes. Finally when the bell rang and everyone got up, he switched his books with the other ones he needed then went to the lunch room. After he got his food, he heard someone call his name and turned to see Gretta there sitting with a bunch of other kids also. He nodded as he sat down between Gretta and a red head. There were three people across from them, one guy with curly brown hair and a strawberry blonde and a black haired girl.

“Ok so York these are my friends Tibby,” She gestured to the girl sitting next to him. “And these are Aaron, Celia, and Jamie. Guys this is York.”

“Nice to meet you York!” Jamie, the strawberry blonde, replied.

“Thank God, another guy to join the group now instead of all these girls. Thanks for saving me York.” Aaron said reaching his hand out to York and he took it and squeezed.
“Yeah no problem, looks like you needed it.” York teased as Gretta slugged him. He laughed as the girls at the other end of the table stuck their tongues out at Aaron.

“So York here plays the violin,” Gretta said as everyone at the table smiled, giving the same expression Gretta had when she had first found out.

“No way, which one!?” Tibby asked as she came in closer to York’s side making him uncomfortable.

“Violin, I take it all you play also?” They nodded and York was about to ask but stopped when he realized they were going to tell him without a cue.

“I play guitar,” Aaron said as he gestured to Tibby. “She plays cello, Jamie plays flute, and Celia plays the drums. I suspect you know what Gretta plays already. She’s only been talking about you for all of last period.”

“Aaron you’re such a jerk!” Gretta blushed as she shot him a dirty look. He just laughed not really fazed by her look.

“Hey you should join are club!” Jamie said as she looked to the others at the table.

“Yes that’s a great idea, there is a club we created during sixth period. It’s in the band room, and there are plenty of instruments. We play some stuff but sometimes we just hang out.” Celia explained. “So what do you say?”

“Sounds great, I don’t have any class during sixth period so I’ll defiantly come!” He replied as everyone started to chatter happily.

When lunch ended, they all said their goodbyes and went their separate ways. Gretta walked with him to the gym for their class and went to change. Thankfully, they were paired up together and were assigned to play tennis. After a very hot half hour, they were dismissed and went to change. They met up outside of the gym and he followed her to where the band room was. When they walked in, everyone else was already there shuffling around with different instruments getting ready.

“Hey York, glad you came!” Tibby said looking up and seeing them. She turned around and picked up a case that was behind her and handed it to him. “To use for today, I know it’s not the same as yours but maybe it’ll be ok for today.”

York took it with a smile and then set it down to open the case to see a light violin resting in the blue velvet fabric. “No it’s great for now. I’ll bring mine tomorrow.” Taking it out gently, he put it between his shoulder and chin and grabbed the bow. Tuning it by ear, the others chimed in to tune their own instruments. Aaron had an acoustic guitar and Celia had a pair of bongos in front of her. Gretta was sitting in front of the baby grand piano that York was behind and Jamie was seated next to Aaron with her cello in front of her.

“Hey York, start us out. Show us what you’ve got. We’ll follow you.” Aaron said as York bit his lip.

“Are you sure?” He asked feeling a little uneasy about him leading. This was a first for him to play in front of someone other than his family or the dog.

“Totally, go ahead. There’s nothing to worry about. You’ll do great!” Gretta said giving him an encouraging smile as he put the bow to the neck of the violin and began to play. After a few notes, Aaron started to come in and play along. Then everyone else did.

The class ended faster than anyone had liked and they packed their things up and went their separate ways. York had one more class and then he was on his way home, flying down the road back to his house. Once he got home, he parked his bike and went inside. As he walked down the hallway, he heard music coming from Mori’s room and turned and went to her room. Knocking on the door and opening it, he saw his sister sitting on her bed reading something.

“Hey,” He said as she looked up and smiled seeing him there. Bear barked happily from where he was laying next to Mori on the bed. “How was your day?”

“Hey, it was ok. How was yours?” She asked as she noticed the ears and then gave him a look. “Are those,”

“Yes they are,” He said shortly before turning and walking down the hall to his room, leaving his sister and not wanting to talk further about it. The only good thing out of the day was meeting Gretta and joining the band club.