Sequel: Zee and Todd

York and Mori

Chapter 13 - York

Gretta was walking right next to York as they walked into the parking lot after school ended. He had just gotten a text from Mori saying that she was already home so he invited Gretta to go home with him since they had a test to study for anyway. When they got to his bike, he got on and started it while she got on also wrapping her arms around his waist. He had handed her his helmet, and after protest she had taken it and put it on.

He pulled into the slow flow of traffic as they also tried to get out of the busy parking lot. Finally he was on the road and heading in the opposite way that all the other carriages were going. He picked up speed as he went down the road and smiled as he felt Gretta laughing against him as he went faster. When he pulled into the driveway, he stopped the bike and then got off leading Gretta to the front door.

“Hey Mori, you here?” York called as he set his helmet and coat down on the bench next to the door and Gretta followed suit.

There was no reply to his call but he suddenly saw someone walking down the hall that was defiantly not his sister. The guy was tall, lean, and nerdy looking, with thick black glasses resting on his nose and freckles and brown hair. Then next thing he noticed was that the guy was wearing his favorite shirt and had on a pair of his jeans.

“Who are you? What are you doing here wearing my clothes?” York asked as the kid looked to him with wide eyes. On cue, Mori appeared behind the boy and stood between them.

“York calm down it’s not a big deal. This it my friend,” Mori started but was cut off by Gretta.

“UD!” Gretta finished as she went over to the kid and hugged him. He had a huge smile on his face as he hugged her.

“Gretta, it’s good to see you again!” The kid replied as Gretta laughed and looked to the twins who had confused looks on their faces.

“Gretta you know him?” York asked as she shrugged, nodding.

“Um yeah, me and UD go way back.” Gretta said as she looked to a blushing UD. York and Mori were baffled as they looked at the two acting as good friends who had known each other for forever.

“Mori, what’s with the cat!?” York asked suddenly realizing the cat that was still curled up on the couch. He was surprised that Bear wasn’t freaking out about the fat cat that was laying on his favorite seat in the house.

“Oh um, I brought Madam Oliver home with me. She was all alone in the library downstairs.”

“Madam Oliver, that’s the best name you could think of?”

“Shut up,” She stuck her tongue out at him and picked up the sleeping cat and cuddled her. “I didn’t name her, I just brought her home. By the way who is this?” Mori tilted her head as she looked to Gretta and looked from her brother and back to the girl getting a smile on her face as she was about to start teasing him.

“Don’t even think about it,” York said knowing what Mori was going to say. “This is Gretta, and Gretta, this is my sister Mori.”

“Nice to meet you,” Gretta smiled and Mori gave a nod returning the greeting. York just rolled his eyes and grabbed his bag from where he had set it down.

“Shall we go, we have that stupid test to study for.” York said as Gretta glanced up to him as if she had just been pulled out of a thought. She smiled and nodded, mumbling something that sounded like nice to meet you as he walked to his room. Opening his door and walking in, he dropped his bag on the bed and looked to Gretta who was looking around the room.

She sat on his bed and he started up his laptop and sat across from her with the computer in his lap. Soon there were papers covering up the rest of the bed as they began to work trying to get a head start on the project they were working on. York had put music on low for background noise on his laptop and they both were quizzing each other with different math equations and formulas. Even though they tried to study, they ended up giggling and talking. Only studying a little and while they tried to focus, they ended up erupting in giggles and singing along to a song one of them knew since they had been listening to Pandora radio.

“Hey York, honey,” A voice called as the door to his room opened and they both looked up to see York’s mom come in. “Oh, hello. I didn’t know my son had a guest here.”

“Hello Mrs. Asher, I’m Gretta.” She said sweetly as his mom had a huge smile appear on her face.

“Well hello Gretta, it’s very nice to meet you. York she’s really a catch, I’m so proud of you.” His mom said as York felt his face get hot.

“Mom really, we’re kind of busy.” He said trying to avoid Gretta’s eyes.

“Oh don’t be so embarrassed, she’s cute. Would you like to stay for dinner Gretta? Mori’s friend Quinn is staying.” York almost asked who that was and then realized she was talking about the nerdy boy that Mori had over. She probably gave him that name since UD was sort of a strange name.

“I would love to Mrs. Asher, if I’m not intruding.” His mom laughed and swatted the air with her hand.

“Oh nonsense, we would love to have you.” She replied as Gretta agreed. “Great, I just have to get dinner done, York’s father should be home soon. So I’ll leave you two to your studying.” She gave a smile as she turned to the door and beamed as she teased them about getting their homework done and not get distracted and left them alone in the room.

“Sorry about that, my mom can be a little weird.” York said after a few seconds of silence after his mom had left.

“No she’s sweet; I know where you get you kindness from.” Gretta replied as York willed himself not to blush anymore.

“She can be a little overwhelming at times,” He mumbled as he hid his face behind his notebook pretending to start studying again.

“All parents can be,” Gretta replied also falling silent going back to her papers also. They kept the conversation small as they studied more and about a hour before Mori came in to call them for dinner.

They followed Mori to the dining room where UD, and their parents were already seated, sitting across from each other at the ends of the table. Mori took the seat next to UD and York sat directly across from her with Gretta next to him. As they passed the food around, their father started up the conversation asking Gretta and UD about themselves and such, while their mother added in a few teasing comments about how cute York and Gretta looked together and the same with Mori and UD.

After a very long and awkward dinner with their parents, they finally escaped their presence and went back to York’s room. Taking up their spots on the bed, they began to study a little more before Gretta had to go. By the time she had decided to go, it had already gotten to almost 9 o’clock. She gathered her things and said goodbye to his parents before York had realized that she didn’t have a ride home.

“I can drive you if you like,” York said as they lingered at the door. She had one hand on the screen door and was smiling to him.

“No it’s fine, it’s only a quick walk to school to get my car.” She replied as York bit his lip.

“But you can’t walk alone, let me come with you.” He replied hoping not to sound too creepy. But it seemed that she hadn’t taken it that way and smiled and he almost swore he saw her cheeks turn a little pink as she nodded.

He pulled on his coat and followed her outside walking down the drive to the road. They kept up a small conversation as they walked in the cool night and headed toward their school. It only took a few minutes to get there and when they did, York scanned the parking lot for her car but only saw a bike parked in one of the parking spots.

“Wait,” He said as they walked toward the bike and he recognized it as the bike he had raced that first night after school. “No way, you’re the one I raced?”

“Um yeah,” She smiled and blushed a little as she pulled her keys from her pocket and took the helmet that had been hanging from the handle. “You were pretty good though, even though I still kicked your butt in the end.”

“Ha yeah, it was a lucky shot. Did you who you were racing?” He asked as she shook her head.

“Not at first, but a couple of days later I saw you coming to school on the bike and recognized it from that night. Then put two and two together.” He just laughed and they fell into another bout of silence. The only noise was of the crickets chirping in the bushes behind them and a few critters running around a few yards away.

“Um well, I should go, I don’t want you to be gone longer than you need to be. You didn’t need to walk me here. But it was sweet, thanks.” She said breaking the silence that only lasted a few moments.

“It was my pleasure,” He said as he bent down and kissed her cheek lightly. “Drive home safe.” He said after he had straightened back up and looked down to her.

“Um yeah thanks, see you around?” She asked not really looking up to him. He nodded as she quickly pulled the helmet over her head and went to the bike getting on and starting it up. The noise of the engine came as she waved to him and then pushed the kickstand back and then slowly started to drive away. She stopped at the entrance and looked behind her and he raised a hand to wave at her before she turned back to face the road and then disappeared, pulling into the street.

He stood there a moment before smiling ear to ear and beginning his own walk back to his place. As he walked, he replayed the moment in his head over and over again, feeling as if he were on cloud nine.