Sequel: Zee and Todd

York and Mori

Chapter 14- Mori

Mori:

Mori didn’t pay attention in school for the rest of the week.
She was still replaying the events from the other night, when UD came over.
Mom came home interrupting UD’s random attempt at helping her in English and she had that “ooo who is this?” look on her face. Mori glared at her mom and she came into the room shaking his hand, introducing herself to the guest. Though instead of saying “oh I’m UD” to her, UD introduced himself as “Quinn”. Mori never asked what his real name was, but it was strange to hear. However, the name sounded familiar. She had seen the name somewhere before, but she couldn’t remember where. Mori met up with him twice the last two days, but she still felt that there was something wrong.
Lunch rolled around and Mori rolled her eyes seeing the new addition to her lunch room. Prince and his friends moved lunches because of a “fight” Prince had with York. York apparently only tripped the man, but that was such a wus of him to just randomly skip lunches. She hated it enough that he was permanently her partner in Etiquette class, and was in the same stupid science class.
“Mori!” Zee sang as Mori sat down at their usual table, “So… word in the club is that you took Madam Oliver home by accident!”
Mori arched her eyebrows at Todd who only looked away. She didn’t know how Zee would have felt by taking the cat home, but it didn’t seem like she minded.
“I was trying to take her back today, but she only hissed at me when I tried to move her from the couch. And my dog really likes her for some reason.”
“So there is a such thing as interspecies relationships! Maybe that means you have a shot then going to prom with Mr. High and Mighty over there,” Todd joked.
The three laughed and Zee told Mori that it was fine if she could keep Madam Oliver at her house. It was better than living in a stuffy clubroom any way. Mori thanked her and listened to their boring tales of the field trip. She wished that she had gone, but then she wouldn’t have met UD again. They talked till dinner time and then he had to leave. She found York’s clothes in a bag in her locker this morning; they were washed and smelled like they had been laying out in the air for a few hours.
However, she wondered where he was today. She didn’t see him in the hallways and no one mentioned of him. Then she remembered Eric and Edward saying something about Tower classes.
“Hey, Zee, you’re smart.”
“That I am! What can I help you with, Mo?” she took a bite of her veggie sandwich.
“What are the Tower classes?”
She coughed on her sandwich and Todd patted her back hard to help her choking to stop. She looked at me with an insane look and told her not to scare her like that.
“I’m serious! I met a friend and-”
“Mori, the Tower is one of the worst places to be! They technically don’t exist. That’s how bad they are!”
“But Eric and Edward said that-”
“Todd! Tell her quit it!”
“The code is 2-4-4-1.”
“Todd!”
“What! She’s our reporter in training! And you’ve been telling me that the paper has been needing a new story. Let Mori take this one! Besides the last Tower class we took was freshman year. They canceled it after that.”
“Wait, you guys were in Tower classes?”
They both nodded. Zee grumbled crushing her sandwich how much she hated the stupid classes, the stuffy rooms, and the smelly teacher of theirs. Todd shrugged saying that it wasn’t that bad, only that they weren’t taught that well. Zee explained how it took her two years to finally raise her reading level up to what it should have been now. Todd sighed and pointed out to the direction of the elevators.
“Go to the middle elevator, punch in the code, and then you’ll travel up to the Tower classrooms. It’s all supposed to be storage rooms, but maybe there are still classes going on behind our backs. You as a reporter must figure it out.”
Mori saluted, “I’ll go now, sir and I’ll give you a story by club time this afternoon!”
“Go, young sasquatch. We’ll be waiting,” Todd said with a mini bow.
Mori cocked her head at his remark but sneakily left the lunch room. Snow White was the Student Body President and always watched the room making sure that everyone was doing what they should be doing. Mori even got scolded for being 1.5 seconds late for lunch. Mori ninja crawled to the door and tumbled out the door to take a quick right to the elevators. She nodded glad that she didn’t trigger anyone’s attention.
Mori walked over to the middle elevator and it’s rusty doors opened with a ding. As she stepped in she felt a grip on her arm.
“Where are you going?”
She looked up to see Prince. She frowned and stepped on his foot, entering the elevator. They closed before he stopped her. Edward and Eric probably told him about telling Mori about the Tower classes that she’s not supposed to know about. If he’s the one who rules the school, it could be bad for his reputation to see the paper have a cover story on the secret unjust classes that UD and others took.
Mori punched in the code and the elevator shook taking her past the fourth floor up to the seventh floor. The doors opened with the same ding and a cloud of dust filled Mori’s lungs. The tower’s lobby had musty and dusty everything. There was a horrible draft and the roof was leaking the rain from outside. UD, Zee and Todd went to school in a place like this?
Mori took out her camera and started to take pictures. She dusted off the old desks in one of the rooms to see graffiti on it. It was obvious that no one had been up here in years. Mori sighed wondering if there was another Tower. Since UD wasn’t here. She took another picture and heard a grunt in the doorway. She looked up to see a brown haired kid rubbing his eyes of her flash.
“UD?”
After grumbling a bit about the flash he finally looked over to Mori who hopped over to him. She smacked him in the arm telling him that it wasn’t nice to lie about Tower classes. He frowned and took her arm rather harshly and started to lead her back to the lobby.
“You’re not supposed to be up here.”
“Ow, that hurts!”
He suddenly let go and awkwardly looked away.
“It’s not safe up here. Please leave.”
Mori shift her position to see a beam in one of the classrooms fall down to the floor in a dust pile. She looked back at him saying that the place is just old and she was fine.
“You don’t understand, please leave, now!” his voice was harsh.
Mori took from his tone that there was something up here that he didn’t want her to find. He pushed the elevator button and it opened. Mori frowned and raised her eyebrows. She left her camera on the table next to the elevator on purpose when he wasn’t looking.
“Fine, I’ll go back to my boring lunch. You coming?”
“I-I don’t take the elevators. The stairs are just fine…”
“Fine,” she shrugged going inside, “see you at the bottom then.”
She went down to the bottom and stepped out the elevator. Prince was waiting on the other side of the hallway with his arms crossed and a frown on his face. He looked a bit tired for some reason and Mori took one step out of the elevator and stepped back in.
“Great I left my camera up there.”
The elevator’s doors closed quickly and she was back at the top. She took her camera and saw UD’s head walking poking up from the stairs. He probably heard the elevator move back up, and he was making sure that I didn’t go back into the classrooms. Mori rolled her eyes and entered back into the elevator. She was about to press the button to go back down, but instead pushed every button on the way down and took the stairs down.
She heard the elevator go down the long tower shaft and took the spiral stairs all the way to the bottom. UD wasn’t there, he was fast. She heard mumbling at the bottom of the stairs and the bottom door opened.
“Seriously? Is she stopping at every floor?”
Mori tip toed down the stairs and saw someone sitting on the bottom of the stairs. They were breathing heavily trying to calm themselves down for running down all of those the stairs rather quickly. She tiptoed to the bottom, slipping out of her slip on shoes and got do the bottom. She placed her hands over his eyes and said in a very girly voice:
“Guess Who?”
His look was priceless. He shouted and tumbled out the stairs door onto the nice hallway tiles.
“You know what, if I was stupid, I would say ‘oh! N3wb at da school! Hai der, I’m Mori’. But I’m not stupid. So who are you? UD? Or Prince?”
Mori crossed her arms. The guy on the floor had UD’s brown hair, UD’s glasses, perfect face of prince and a mix matched outfit of both of what they were wearing. Quinn didn’t know what to say. He looked away and Mori stepped over his legs to go back to the cafeteria. The elevator dinged reaching the floor finally and Quinn got up trying to make her stop.
“Mori, please-”
He reached to grab her arm, but she slapped him instead.
“How dare you play with my feelings. All those things about your life that you told me about. They were only more lies. I should have listened to my gutt.”
“Wait, it’s not like that-”
“Oh, it’s not?! I don’t even know who to call you?!”
Mori stormed off back to the cafeteria. She enjoyed talking to UD. He was innocent, humble, and a great listener. Just as she was about to go into the cafeteria she went to the bathroom instead. She crawled her way into the hidden tunnel and cried for a bit. She felt all of the betrayal of her family rise up again and the troubles that she’s had in the past again with trusting people.
Mom and Dad broke their promise already about staying in the city till they graduate. Brady broke their promise of just being friends for life and complicated their relationship. Everyone seemed to be breaking their words. Now a guy that she was slowly starting to like turns out to be a fraud.
Oh, happy day before your birthday Mori...