Sequel: Zee and Todd

York and Mori

Chapter 20 - York

When they got to the city limits and Zane began to slow down, York felt a smile grow on his face as he saw the familiar buildings come into view. It had seemed like forever since he had been anywhere near the city, and for this one weekend, he would be able to feel like he was home again. Gretta wasn’t used to the city so the whole car ride Kate laughed at her as she watched the curious blond stare out the window with wide eyes and a gaping mouth. York couldn’t help but laugh too as he glanced back every now and then to see what Gretta was pointing and oohing and aahing about in the back.

“Ooh look at this! Kate what is this?” Gretta was saying in the back as York helped Zane find a parking spot. Kate would reply patiently trying to help her understand what everything was in the city.

“Zane where are we going? And where are we staying tonight?” York asked as his best friend took another turn. On the way there, Zane’s younger brother Kendal had met up with them and said that they would meet at the hotel that night so they had the day to themselves. York had no clue where they were going and since Zane had horrible directional skills, he figured it would take longer than expected. “Are you lost?”

“Shut up, I know where I’m going.” Zane replied as he shot York a annoyed look. York only laughed in response as he pulled the map from under the seat. Finally after ten more minutes of driving, they finally pulled into the parking lot with the familiar woods behind them.

“Oh my God, are you serious!?” York asked as he looked to his friend excitedly and followed him to the back of the car where the bikes were. He opened the tailgate and began to loosen the straps that were holding his bike in place. The girls came around back just as they had gotten the first bike down and were working on the second.

“What is this place?” Gretta asked as she looked around. York was grinning from ear to ear as he grabbed his helmet and set it on the bike.

“My favorite place, before we moved, I used to come here to think and get inspiration.” York replied as he reached a hand out to her from where he sat on the bike. “Care to go for a ride?” She smiled and nodded taking her helmet that she had brought with her as York pulled his on and started the bike up.

Behind them, Zane had his bike going and Kate was getting on behind him also. When he pulled up next to York, they shared a look before twisting the throttle and let go of the brake beginning to race down the worn path neck in neck. Gretta’s grip came tighter as he went faster trying to get ahead of Zane. He knew the path like the back of his hand and flew past the trees that were beginning to mix into one big green blur.

The path was surrounded by trees on both sides and little bridges that went over the creeks that snaked through the park. They were on the path that allowed bikes and atv’s so they didn’t have to worry about people. Hardly anyone ever used that path and York had actually found it by accident and then told Zane about it and decided to explore it further. When they did, they found the little clearing that York loved so much and went there as much as they could.

The trees began to break as the sun shone through the trees and the meadow came clearer. York gave another twist as he bike lurched forward and he got farther ahead of Zane. Finally when he reached the clearing, he let his bike slow down and turned to face the entrance of the meadow where Zane was just pulling in. He stopped his bike right next to York as he pulled off his helmet to show the huge smile on his face.

“Ha, took you long enough to catch up.” York said as he pulled off his helmet too. Gretta unwrapped her arms from around him and laughed as she pulled hers off too. When he glanced up again, he saw Zane and Kate looking at him with strange looks. “What?”

“Dude York, what’s on your head?” Zane asked as York reached up to realized that his hat had slipped off with his helmet. He sighed as he pulled the hat out and pulled it back on. “Were those dog ears?”

“Um, yeah,” York replied as he realized that he wasn’t going to get out of it that easily, so he began to explain.

“What kind of weird school do you go to?" Zane asked as York sighed and tugged at his hat.

“Can we forget about it and just have some fun?” York asked as Zane look startled by the tone York gave. Then recovered, smiling and nodding as he started to walk further into the meadow leaving the bikes behind. Finding the old plastic box full of things they had buried under some leaves at the edge of the meadow they pulled it out and looked inside.

That box had been like a time capsule for the boys and had all of their favorite things inside. There was one of York’s old sketch books that he kept in there and Zane had some of his insect cages there for when he went to go on a hunt as he called it. There was also some extra pairs of clothing incase York needed Zane to pose for one of his drawings. Snacks were stored at the bottom along with a few Frisbees and balls just in case they got bored.

They had put the box there after they had first found the meadow since it had been so annoying to carry all the things with them. So they had put the box there and over the years it was filled more and more with different things. York pulled out his sketch pad and went to sit next to Gretta who was a few feet away. Zane had spread a blanket on the grass for the girls to sit and began talking in a dorky British accent as he offered them tea and sandwiches that weren’t really there.

York just rolled his eyes as he began to open the sketch book with Gretta snatched it from him and began to page through it, using her quick reflexes to keep it away from him. Zane threw a Frisbee at his head and they began to chase each other around as the girls sat and watched. Finally after Zane had tackled him, they began to throw the Frisbee around and started up a conversation, trying to get back in touch after York moving away.

When they got too hungry to ignore, they drove back to the truck and packed it up as they headed to York’s favorite restaurant in town. It was close by the hotel that they were staying at so once they were done, it was a quick drive to the hotel. Once they got their bags and parked the car, they walked in to the huge lobby to find Mori and the others there. When Mori saw them walking in, she smiled as she excused herself from her friends and headed over to them.

“Hey guys,” She said as she went to hug her brother. “Happy birthday big brother!”

York smiled as he hugged her back. “Happy birthday little sister,” He replied as he realized how tired he had sounded.

When they had all said goodnight and check into the hotel, York followed Zane to the elevators with the girls to head to their suite. After the elevator stopped and they found their room, they walked in to see just how big the room was.

There was a short hallway that lead from the door farther into the suite and lead to a huge room. The first thing they saw was a nice room with a tv and three plush couches placed in a half circle in front of the tv with a table in the middle. Next York realized that there was a small kitchen off to the side behind the couches and a door at either side of the room leading to the rooms.

As Zane and Kate were saying their good nights to each other, York smiled to Gretta as he walked up to her and touched her cheek lightly. He saw her smile slightly and blush just as quickly as he slowly leaned down and touched his lips to hers. After a moment, he felt her kiss him back and then she pulled away quickly breaking eye contact and blushing more.

"Good night Gretta," He said quietly to her as she smiled and wished him a good night as well. After one last glance to each other, they turned to go to their own rooms, York smiled as he thought of what just had happened and exited that he had finally worked up the nerve to do it.

He found two queen sized beds and claimed the first one he saw as he collapsed on top of it. He was so exhausted from waking up so early and the adrenaline rush he had had before during the race, and was very ready for bed. Zane also collapsed on his bed and after forcing themselves to change out of their wrinkled dirty clothes, they went back to the beds and soon fell asleep. But as York fell asleep, he felt a weird sensation wash over him as his lids closed and the blackness of sleep surrounded him.
♠ ♠ ♠
Well here is the last of the story before it starts picking up. Getting the last details worked out tonight while we were adding the chapters and have figured out where to go with this.

Hope you like it so far and feel free to comment and subscribe! =}