Sequel: Zee and Todd

York and Mori

Chapter 31- Mori

Mori:

It had been a week since York and Mori snuck into Sir Carter’s office. No scratch that. A week and a day.
Mori was in the middle of math class looking at a poorly drawn map of the town that she made. Not only could she not remember where the lab where Quinn and her escaped from that day a year ago, she found out that the lab they were at, wasn’t even the right one. There’s another lab in town that Mori and York can’t find.
She thought actually that now that they found the blue prints for the lab and the camera, they would automatically walk down there and fix everything. However, she found something wrong with the camera. There was a mini few second video of him in his office trying to make the camera work. He’s staring at it and then realized that the red light meant that it was on. He automatically turned it off and now the other video was ruined.
It was still there, but he somehow enchanted the video so they were speaking in another language. Mori knew little Spanish, but they weren’t speaking in Spanish. Mori lied and told York that she would crack the camera but Sarah noticed her frustration last night.
“Oh, come on Mori, smile!”
Vi had finally got rid of Sarah’s curse and now she was back to Sarah. They were having a burning party as she burned the pink dress when Mori got home the other day. Sarah though was smart enough to keep the wand. She poofed up some nicer clothes, jeans included, that Mori and York would wear. Mori smiled as she got another note from Ella demanding to know what she was wearing.
Mori was living up her dark wash jeans and red shoes that she got for her birthday a year ago. Though, being true to her Dorothy, she still wore a sky blue and white shirt with her outfit. The school day came and went and Mori decided to walk home and leave York with Gretta. She had no idea on where to go for the camera. She kept playing it seeing if she could magically understand whatever language is being said.
Mori then looked up and suddenly noticed all the decoration around town. She forgot that this weekend was the town’s 150th year celebration ever since its foundation. Their etiquette teacher was going to give them extra credit for helping out, but Mori really didn’t want to. She wasn’t really in the party mood and really really wanted to know what this camera said.
She played the video again thinking that she heard the name “Stevenson” but that was towards the end of the five minute video.
“POLISH!” Someone called above her.
She looked up to see a guy on a latter. The latter began to shake violently as he was attempting to strap something to the roof of the corner bakery. He then suddenly fell onto the ground and popped back up as if he was a jack in the box. Mori was about to ask if he was alright, but he stole the camera and placed his ear up to it to hear it better.
“Hey! Give that back!”
He placed a finger up as he listened to the rest of the video. Once it was done he looked at the strange devise in his hands and gave her a great big smile. His shirt was off in the hot afternoon heat and was quite tan from setting up the decorations all week.
“Girl! I can’t remember since the last time I heard so much Polish in a conversation! How did you get it into this devise? Magic?”
“No… uh… I mean… yeah… the magic of technology…?”
He gave a nice smile and started to shake her hand quite violently.
“Very nice to meet you! I’ve never met a magician that could do such a thing! Are you trying to learn Polish?”
Mori got her hand out of his tight grip and she shook her head no. She explained that someone enchanted the devise and he nodded understanding what she meant. He then reached for his utility belt that had nails and a hammer and pulled up a pair of glasses and looked at the camera more closely.
Mori played the video again and he almost jumped seeing the moving pictures on the camera.
“You are clearly gifted!” he said placing the camera to his ear again, “Give me an hour and I’ll have the entire conversation translated.”
“Really!” Mori gave a big smile, “But your working… and your hair is on fire!”
He looked up and noticed the smoke coming from it. He calmly gave the camera back to Mori and reached for a bucket right next to the latter and dumped it on his head. Mori jumped as he shook his head and reached for the camera again. His blonde combed back hair looked like Bear’s coat after a bath. Mori was about to ask when he shook his hair to see her again.
“It’s been happening all day. I’ve been installing fireworks all around town. Gun powder isn’t fun to get in your hair on a hot day.”
He laughed and went back to listening to the video as if nothing happened. Mori didn’t want to disrupt his concentration as he sat on a bench right next to the bakery. She sat close by watching him as he mouthed to some of the words that were said on the video. Mori didn’t even know the guy’s name. He looked older than the students at her school, and she remembered seeing him working even before school started.
She wondered if he was from the college in town, but she didn’t want to disrupt him with questions. Mori then started to think about Zee. The funny thing was she always thought that Quinn could have been her father. Blonde hair runs in the family, so it was possible. But now she saw that this man had the same shade of hair as Zee. Both Quinn and him wore glasses. Mori’s mind started to hurt she just met the man and now she was jumping to conclusions.
Mori forced her attention away from the man and looked around town. The decorations looked beautiful and she saw many familiar faces. Then she spotted the two movers that she saw the other week. This time they were dressed in other working clothes and were helping each other place some decorations in front of their store.
She then heard her screech as he picked her up and twirled her around. Mori giggled at their flirting. He kissed her and wrapped his arm around her as they looked up to their finished shop. She could hear faintly him say to her that the shop was perfect. Mori’s attention was pulled back to the man as he almost fell into the road. The camera in his hands went in the air but he caught it without even looking.
A carriage was rolling rather fast past him and he looked like he was walking around trying to listen to the conversation. Mori almost died when he almost broke the camera. He came over to her skipping the sidewalk lines and smiled. He held up a piece of paper and told her that he translated it. Mori looked up to the clock realizing that she was staring at the lovely couple across the street for a good while.
“Thank you so much…”
He was about to open his mouth and say his name when someone answered it for him.
“Jinx?!” Quinn’s voice called from the side.
Quinn ran up quickly and pulled the camera and piece of paper from his hand.
“What do you think your doing?!” Quinn panicked
“Helping ma’am here, did everyone forget in town that I can speak four languages fluently?”
“You’re also the only person alive that had to go to get surgery for getting a paper cut!”
Mori blinked a few times in confusion. Quinn looked at Mori and described that the man in front of her was the biggest klutz of all times. He also causes harm for others if he’s not careful. The man only smiled and shrugged saying that he’s gotten better over the years. He hit his head saying that he’s indestructible. However, just as he said that he gave a little ow.
Mori couldn’t help but to laugh and he gave an embarrassed smile. He excused himself to get back to work and Mori thanked him again greatly for helping.
“and your hair is smoking again…”
He patted at his hair and grumbled something about getting more water. Quinn started to drag Mori away and she waved good bye to the man called Jinx.

“Quinn, you’re hurting me…” Mori frowned.
He released his grip on her and apologized. Mori then remembered that Quinn was there the night that Zee and Todd told them who they were. Mori knew that he was probably thinking the same thing that she was thinking before. Was Zee his daughter too? Mori remembered Todd’s expression seeing Gretta. Though Zee gave a poker face. Mori could have taught Zee in the future to keep a straight face when faced with things that she had to keep secret, but that didn’t do it for Quinn.
“Quinn-”
“Just forget it. Do you have the translation?”
Mori sighed and waved the paper in the air. She finally read it and stopped. Quinn asked what was wrong and she showed him what. He read it and gave a “are you kidding” look. He looked up to Mori and both of them gave the same look.
“There’s only information on the tape about the program?! Nothing else?” York yelled reading the paper again.
“No location, nothing on what the machine is, even if it is a machine, nothing!” Quinn grunted.
We were at a dead end.
Again.
Though Mori knew that there had to be a good reason on why Zee wanted them to find the video. Mori looked over to see Gretta flipping through an old year book. They found them in the way back of the library and saw that the albums actually had photos in them. The group sat around a small table in the corner of the local library trying to figure out what to do now.
“Wait a sec,” Mori said as she turned back the page Gretta was looking at, “Who is that?”
Gretta looked at the picture of a young woman with a busness suit on and cherry red lips.
“Oh, her? She’s Headmaster Stevenson. The one in charge of the high school.”
Mori gave a snocked wide eyed look and showed the picture to York. He looked at it confused on what she was trying to say.
“York, this is the woman that I saw the other week in the club room.”
♠ ♠ ♠
a bit shorter but hope you like!