Sequel: Zee and Todd

York and Mori

Chapter 5 - York

He couldn’t help but smiling as he walked out of the classroom with Mori close beside him. She didn’t know that he knew but he had to admit, the little incident with the camera was a smooth move. Pulling out his schedule from his pocket as he walked down the hall, he found where his next class was. He had grabbed the other books that he had needed all the way up to lunch so he didn’t need to climb up and down the stairs all the time back and forth to his locker.

“Um I’m going this way,” Mori mumbled as she pointed down another hallway. York nodded and tried to give her a encouraging smile even though he knew it wouldn’t do much good. She gave one back and then disappeared in the sea of people down the hall.

Even though he felt more comfortable around his sister, it was nice to have some alone time for a while. He needed some time to gather his thoughts and not worry about Mori for a little while. As much as he tried not to, he had always been an overprotective brother. He knew that at times Mori both was appreciative and hated it. But it was something that he couldn’t help. It was his brotherly instincts and there was no way of trying to control it.

As he was walking down the hall, lost in his thoughts, he was suddenly pulled away from them by two people arguing in the hall. The first person he saw was a fire red head who was tall and slender. She wore a fitting dress with matching heels making her even taller. Then next person was a shorter blonde girl with piercing greenish brown eyes. She had on somewhat normal clothes on, which were a pair of jeans and a nice shirt to make her outfit look somewhat normal to blend in to the fashion.

He didn’t know why but he was fascinated by the blonde girl. Her hair hung perfectly straight almost halfway down her back with fringe bangs pushed off to the side. Even for her height, she made up for it with her eyes. They almost dared anyone to actually say anything about her height and seemed like she would attack if the person even did. He figured she didn’t come up to his shoulder even if she wore heels.

They made eye contact for about a second but within that second, he saw her expression change slightly but then her gaze moved back to the red head yelling at her. Then she went back to yelling back. He could feel a small smile growing on his lips as he walked further down the hallway and to his next class, which regrettably was math.

That time, he actually entered the classroom before it started and found a seat at the back of the room away from the other people. He never considered himself a loner, but until he got to know people better, he decided to try and stay as far away as he could.

More people filed in behind him and he felt a sharp push come to his chair startling him. He sat up from his slouched position and looked behind him to see Prince with two other boys with him. Rolling his eyes and ignoring him, he went back to stare at the wall at the front of class. Thinking he was rid of Prince he settled back and then the hard reality came, Prince had taken the seat right next to him.

“So Yorkie how did you like your first class? I certainly had fun dancing with your sister. She really is cute!” Prince said as York tried to calm himself down.

“First of all, don’t ever call me Yorkie again unless you want to get punched in that perfectly moisturized face of yours. And second stay the hell away from my sister.”

“You wouldn’t dare!” Prince said half way between being appalled and annoyed. York felt another smile growing on his face; only instead this one was one of his trademark sinister looks that he had.

All he had to say two words to get Prince off his back “Try me.” At that, Prince’s expressions changed and he got up to join his friends at the other end of the room. Sighing in relief, York went back to staring at the wall as another person walked in to the room as their teacher shut the door to start class. He didn’t pay any attention to them until he caught a glimpse of longer blonde hair walking behind him.

He looked back to see the blonde girl walking to one of the empty desks close by. She glanced up and made eye contact with him again and gave a small smile as she sat down. He gave one back as the teacher began to scold her for being almost late. She just rolled her eyes when the teacher had turned his back to her and then settled in her seat.

Pulling out a notebook and some pens from his bag, he opened the old notebook and saw a the half filled book full of drawings and notes he and his friends had done at their old school. His close friend Zane’s neat scrawl was written across the top of one page of a comic they had made back in school. Zane was like a brother to York, even though he had other close friends, Charlie was the one he missed most. The two of them had practically grown up together and did everything together. Gotten in trouble and gotten each other out of trouble more times to count. Zane was a natural writer and York was the artist. Together they would come up with funny comics together and then laugh about it afterward.

York paged through the notebook to find a blank page and grabbed a pencil and began to draw. He really didn’t know what but just drew, the inspiration would come to him eventually but for now it was just a head with some hair. He was just finishing the last of the body when the bell rang and he packed up his things and walked out of the room.

Pulling out his schedule again, he climbed up the stairs to the next class and found another seat at the back of the class. As the class started, he began to draw again picking up where he had left off before with the person. By the end of that class, he found that he had drawn a rough start to the blonde girl he had seen before.

Getting up again when the class ended, he made his way down the hall trying to look for Mori since he had the next class with her. Finding out that he was about three classrooms away from his sister, she spotted him and came up to him with an annoyed look on her face. They walked in silence since the halls were too loud for York to even hear himself speak.

Walking into the classroom, York sighed as he saw Prince in front of him with Ella close in tow next to him trying to keep up a conversation which had been lost by him for some time. Prince took a desk which happened to be right across the aisle from where York and Mori were heading and gave York a dirty look as they passed.

“What was all that about?” Mori asked as she sat at the square table and set her bag on top of the cool black surface.

“Let’s just say even though his last name may be Charming, he doesn’t live up to the name.” York muttered as he rolled his eyes. Mori just laughed and rummaged through her bag to grab her camera.

“Smile,” She said as she caught him off guard as she snapped the picture. Prince began to freak out again as the flash went off and she began to laugh. “That never gets old,”

“Wait you didn’t get my good side,” York teased as he turned his head to the left and gave a silly pose. Mori laughed again as she took another picture and Prince fell out of his seat screaming.

By then, all the students in the classroom beside the twins had gotten up to nurse the prince back to health from the scary strange light that was haunting him. While they were all fussing, their teacher came in and quieted everyone down and got them back to their seats before she started class.

“Now everyone before we begin, I would like to introduce you to our two new students here; York and Mori Asher.” Everyone in the room turned to the twins with bored looks. Then the teacher called the class back to the front of the room after a few moments of staring. The twins shared a look as they opened their books but didn’t pay attention.

York grabbed his notebook to add some more to the drawing of the girl he had done. Mori must have noticed that he had drawn something since suddenly her hand reached across the table and snatched the notebook from him.

“Who’s this?” She whispered as she looked at the drawing. York shrugged and tried to hide the blush but knew that she already knew it was there.

“Some girl I passed in the hallway.” He mumbled back as she smiled.

“You mean that girl?” He looked up startled as he followed his sisters gaze and turned behind him to see the blonde girl there. “York this is really good, it looks almost exactly like her.”

“Uh thanks,” He replied as he snatched it back and then flipped to a new page before she could comment about it more. He felt his cheeks get super hot as he tried not to look over his shoulder again at the strange yet charming girl a few feet behind him.

His smile turned to a frown as he realized he had used the word charming to describe her. That was the last word he wanted to use to describe her. She was more beautiful and graceful than charming. She had a air about her that made him like her even more.

He suddenly shook his head, he was reminding himself of Zane when he had a crush on his current girlfriend in middle school before he had gotten the nerve to ask her out. Zane and Kate had been together since 7th grade until currently and York had never seen any two people beside his parents more in love and happy.

His thoughts were broken up again when two things happened at once. First he felt Mori’s staring at him and their teacher saying that they were going to begin a lab. He looked up and blushed as he caught Mori’s eye contact as their teacher came over to them.

“Since you two both are new, you can be lab partners for now. I like to switch up partners every now and then but since you’re new I’ll spare you this time.” She said in a tone that sounded as if she was doing them a favor. “If you have any problems I’m sure Prince and Ella would be happy to help. Isn’t that right Mr. Charming?”

“Ooh yes Ma’am anything I can do to help.” Prince said giving a stupidly annoying smile to the teacher. After she had walked away to another desk was when Prince’s expression changed to a scowl mostly pointed in York’s direction.

Rolling his eyes, he just turned to his book to the page where the lab explanation was on to figure out what in the world they were doing.