Status: Finished! Check out the sequel!!

The Darkness Within

Seventeen: Turning Seventeen

awoke on the Dursley’s couch on my seventeenth birthday. I was unable to contact anyone since no one knew where I was besides Harry, Snape, Dumbledore, and the Weasley’s. Vernon and Petunia were not so happy about “a friend of potters” staying at their house. But I must say, Dudley sure was happy about it.
The first thing I asked Dudley when I walked in was,” How is the pigtail working out for you?” His face literally turned as red as a strawberry. Harry’s laughter was soon shot down by his uncle Vernon.
I think Petunia started to warm up to me when I would her help cook dinner. One night when I was helping Petunia cook stew, Harry said something that struck me as odd. He laughed a bit but seemed serious;” I bet you’ll make a great wife someday but it sucks to think that the Malfoy might get the best wife.” In my head I thought it was awkward that he said that. I knew what he was trying to imply though.
Harry walked in from the kitchen,” Happy seventeenth birthday!!” I laughed and took the plate of waffles he had made for me,” Thank you!” I examined his clothes. I knew he was leaving to go to that diner at the train station. He had been going there a lot for some reason. The Dursley’s did not even notice when he was gone for hours at a time.
Harry waved goodbye and disappeared out the door.
After Harry left I got ready for the day. I was French braid my bangs when I heard footsteps downstairs. I quickly finished and pulled out my wand. I knew for sure I was the only one at the Dursley’s home. My heart felt like it was in my throat as I silently stalked down the stairs. I jumped as I heard an old voice say,” Ah I remember when I turned seventeen.” I put my wand down to see Dumbledore standing in the sitting room.
Dumbledore’s smile was warm but a tiny bit of pain seeped through. He stated,” happy birthday Locklyn. I am taking you to Snape’s cottage because I am taking Harry on a little adventure. I will catch you up on it later. Let’s go, quickly now.”
I grabbed all my things and apparated with Dumbledore.
Snape opened the door when he heard the popping noise of me apparating on his front step. Snape let me in and under his breath he cursed Peter Pettigrew for being in the way. Peter just stared at me with a disgruntled look on his face. He was also very fidgety. Very quietly I hissed which made him jump and he continued to creep away.
The weather was very dark on this day. It looked like it would rain and it was a tiny bit windy. According to a lot of witches and wizards, the weather has been exactly like the way the weather was before the first wizarding war started. So it made a great amount of people wonder and worry.
While sitting in the parlor I heard a slight knock on the door. I closely watched Wormtail open the door and let the two women in. Snape appeared and greeted solemnly,” Good afternoon Narcissa and Bellatrix.”
When Bellatrix saw me she sneered,” It’s you…”
Narcissa lightly smiled at me but remained to have the distressed look on her face. Bellatrix growled,” I do not think this is smart at all Cissy. Potters new friend, who in fact should be one of us, is here and she could possibly spill our conversation to Potter.”
I rolled my eyes,” I’m pretty sure I am your nephew’s girlfriend to. So if this does have anything to do with him, I will keep my loyalty to keep this conversation secret. I’m not a snitch.”
That was enough for Narcissa and she interrupted Bellatrix,” Severus I need your help. I’m afraid you are the only one who can help.”
Severus nodded,” I know of the plan the Dark Lord wants carried out. What help do you require though? If you are hoping I can persuade the dark lord to change his mind, there is no hope in that.”
Bellatrix raved,” Draco should be proud. The dark lord is granting him a great honor! Draco seems happy that he has a chance to prove himself.”
Narcissa started to cry,” My son…. My only son... He is only sixteen and has no idea what is in store for him! Why Severus? Why my son? This dangerous task is vengeance for Lucius’s mistake!”
Snape shrugged and said,” If Draco succeeds; he will be honored higher than the others!”
Narcissa shook her head,” You don’t understand! He won’t succeed! His is a complete plot; the dark lord does not care if Draco dies! Please Severus, help Draco!”
Severus sighed, “I can try.”
I had a feeling they were purposely not enclosing the actual task because I was here. It began to worry me. This was why Draco was acting so strange in letters this summer…
I was into my thoughts I had not heard the rest of the conversation. All I heard was Bellatrix say,” Swear to it. Do an unbreakable vow.” Before I knew it, Snape had sworn to protect Draco and the two sisters left. Snape turned to me and said,” I have a portkey waiting for you that will take you to the burrow. Come along.”

When I arrived at the burrow I was alone. I walked through the tall grass to get to the house. I knew what I had heard at the cottage I had to keep secret. Not even Draco could know.
I smiled at the thought of seeing my best friend Ginny. It was George’s face I saw in the window when I got close enough to the house. His face lit up and he ran to open the front door. I smiled and asked,” What are you doing here, it thought you were busy working at your store?”
George replied,” Fred and I decided that we would come and take everyone to the store ourselves once everyone got here!”
I nodded as we walked in to the house together. Ginny ran up and hugged me,” Happy birthday!” I smiled.
George added,” yes, I hope your having a good seventeenth birthday so far.”
I hugged George before Ginny and I headed upstairs to catch up. I felt George’s stare as I walked all the way up the stairs. When George was out of hearing range Ginny said,” I think George may have a crush on you!”
I raised an eyebrow,” I bet your dad would not be too happy to know your brother had an interest in the dark lords’ daughter!”
Ginny snorted,” Oh yeah! He’d be so pleased!”
We both laughed as we walked into her room. Hermione had arrived not to long before I got to the burrow, so she was already in Ginny’s room.