Status: In process! Comment!

Love Like Woe

'Cause I Burned Every Bridge I Ever Built

I woke early the next morning, quite excited to start Jack’s list. The sun shone brightly through the curtains. I wondered what the weather would be like, and after a quick check of the news, I confirmed that Chicago’s high today was eighty-eight degrees. I decided that a pair of shorts and a shirt would be most appropriate for today. I slipped on my sandals and rolled my hair up into a loose bun.

I was ready to leave by 8:30, grabbing the knitted messenger bag Jack had sent and packing in the camera, extra film, and the marker along with my pocketbook and cell phone.

I left a note for Layla, who was more than likely still asleep. My mother had left much earlier leaving me a note saying she’d be home late. Of course, that meant Layla was going to be home alone all day and she’d probably be in a bad mood. She’d never admit that she wanted company, but I knew her better. I felt bad, but even if I’d invite her along, she’d deny. I sighed as I shut the door quietly behind me and locking the deadbolt.

I pulled out the list from the front pocket of my shorts, unfolded it, and read the first paragraph.

@SPOT CAFÉ - River North; 901 N Larrabee St :I really love this place. The coffee is just amazing. Walk over to the counter, ask for Laura and tell her your name. She’ll give you a cup of what I usually get. Sit in the chair near the window and people watch. Take pictures and write down the first word that comes to mind for each person on the picture.

I smiled, replacing the list in my pocket and walking over to the garage. I hadn’t ridden my bike in a long time and I figured today was as good as any to start. It was such a beautiful day and, while I usually did enjoy biking around Chicago, I never really had the time to. Jack was allowing me to free up my day with his little adventure.

I reached the coffee shop by nine-thirty, locking my bike on the rack provided. The smell of freshly ground coffee beans hit me as I walked through the doors. I reached the counter where a young man was standing at the register.

“Hi, welcome to Spot Café. How can I help you?” he asked politely.

“Yes, hi can I see Laura?” I asked.

“Sure, hang on,” the nameless worker disappeared through a flap door. The girl I’d assumed was Laura came out in his place.

“Hi, I’m Laura. Can I help you?” she asked. I smiled back at her, taking in each of her features. She was slightly smaller than I, brunette as well, with bright blue eyes and a creamy complexion. She was very pretty, I noted.

“Yeah, uh, I’m Arianna. I was told to come here and ask for you?” I replied, nervously.

Her eyes brightened up at the mention of my name. “I thought I recognized you! Your friend had told me about you, but I didn’t realize it was you. Here let me get your coffee , give me just a second.”

I nodded slowly as she bustled around grabbing a green mug and filling it with coffee and adding creamer, milk, and two spoonfuls of honey. I was a bit baffled by the choice of honey rather than sugar, but I suppose Jack was very specific about the way she’d made the coffee. She handed me the mug a moment later and a piece of paper.

“Thanks,” I said, taking the cup from her as well as the note. I pulled out my wallet to pay, but Laura stopped me.

“It’s already paid for.”

“What?”

“Jack, your friend, he already paid for you with his card,” Laura explained.

“Oh, uh well, thank you,” I replied hesitantly. Jack had already paid? How on earth was he able to organize this from so far away?

“Course,” she replied. “It was nice to meet you in person. I’m sorry about your family.”

“Oh, uh thanks. It’s been a long time, so don’t worry about it,” I said. That sentence was a constant in my life, one I disliked.

I sat near the window as instructed and pulled out the camera in my bag, setting it on the table. I didn’t want to dwell on the awkward conversation I’d just had. Instead, I unfolded the slip of paper that Laura handed me.

How’s your coffee? Hope you liked it; it’s my favorite. Don’t forget pictures and such. I want to see how your day goes.

-Jack


I smiled folding the note and placing it in my bag; taking hold of the camera. I held it at arms’ length in my right hand, picking up the mug with my left, bringing it close to my face and smiling as I pressed the button to take the picture. A few second later, the picture popped out. I shook it, letting it dry and watched as the picture faded in from white. I grabbed the Sharpie and wrote ‘Delicious!’ along the bottom. I capped the marker, gazing out the window and taking pictures here and there of people I saw in order to keep my end of the bargain and forget about Laura’s apology.

After about an hour, the table was filled edge to edge with photographs I’d snapped; each with a descriptive word on them. I grinned at my small collection. This was actually fun. Jack had an interesting way of ensuring that I had a good time.

I packed away my belongings, leaving the mug and a tip for Laura and headed onto the next destination.

Lake Michigan: Take off your shoes, walk along the beach for a while. As always, take pictures of things you like and write down words you’d describe them with.

I slid my sunglasses on and biked to Lake Michigan, the closest thing Chicago had to a beach. There was a slight breeze that cut the heat of the sun down, thankfully. I parked my navy blue bicycle and latched the lock on. I pulled my bag over my shoulder, and took the boardwalk the rest of the way and branched off onto the sand. I pulled my sandals off and stuck them in my bag, pulling the camera out to keep up with my task.

The sand was soft and powdery; still cool despite the sunshine. I looked out over the water; the sunlight dancing over the waves. It was breathtakingly beautiful. I lifted the camera and tried my best to catch the beauty I’d witnessed. Once the picture was dry and had shown up clearly, I slid it in to the pocket that contained the rest of the photos. I snapped a few more of the beach in general, a couple walking their dog, kids playing in the sand, and a few of sights I thought were pretty. Not long after, I decided that was enough photography for me. I wanted to enjoy the feel of the beach, without looking at it through a lens.

I definitely was having second thoughts about Jack. He was being very sweet; going out of his way to set up an entire day of activity for me. When was the last time I’d had something like this done for me? I smiled at simply the thought of his name. I was completely smitten, but there was a nagging feeling in the pit of my stomach that kept reminding me what I could possibly get into; the part of me that was scared that I’d have to relive the past.

I’d watched my parents’ relationship fall apart, along with the rest of the state of Illinois. Of course, who wasn’t interested in the politician, who was such a family man, walk out on them to be with his mistress and new child? I endured the looks of pity from hundreds of people when my mother would drive my brother and me to and from school activities. My mother tried to shield us from the paparazzi, but we never could escape them. I heard my mother cry herself to sleep every night for over a year. All because the man who’d fathered me and my siblings couldn’t keep it in his pants.

I perched myself on a rock I’d come upon and let my feet dangle in the water as I continued with my thoughts.

Sex was what boys thought about. It was the more important thing to them. At least, that’s what I’d come to understand. Jack might be special, but he was still a boy. It was a mean, never ending cycle of internal arguments and trust issues; entirely my father’s fault, of course.

But, Jack had point. Why should my relationship be dictated by that of my parents? I strongly wanted to believe him, but in all honesty, I was scared. To me, it wasn’t worth the risk.

Jack had been nothing but a gentleman, but so had my own father when he was with my mother. That didn’t mean a thing when he left. So I found myself in a dilemma. I was very intrigued by Jack, but not enough to risk heartbreak.

I sighed deeply as I watched a couple of kids play in the water. Pulling my legs up and tucking them under me, I sat for another fifteen minutes before I decided to head back to my bike. It was already noon; the sun high above me as I pedaled toward the next place on the list.

Giordano's Pizza: I’m pretty sure you’ve had this, but I just had to make you go there for me. I like the meat lover’s but you can get whatever you’d like. Place your order with Pamela and tell her your name. She’ll give you a free slice of anything you like.

Giordano’s was the best pizza parlor in Chicago, in my opinion. I’d come here a lot with my siblings and Mike countless times. As I stepped into the pizza restaurant, I noticed a young blonde manning the register.

I didn’t recognize her as a regular employee, but then again, I hadn’t been here in a few months. I stepped up slowly, trying to read her facial expression. She seemed stressed, like it was her first day; the amount of people in line dictated as much. I decided I could wait awhile and sat down at a table. I pulled out the pictures I’d taken at the beach and began labeling them. I was interrupted by the blonde I’d seen earlier.

“You’re Arianna Roberts, right?” She studied me carefully.

“Uh, yes, I am,” I answered, expecting her to say something about my family scandal.

“Didn’t think it would really be you, but I guess ‘rocker’ is your type. Do you know what you’d like to have?” She asked, looking over at the register. She seemed in a hurry; like I was holding her back from doing her job.

“Just a slice of pepperoni and mushroom, please; and a water,” I answered quickly, getting my usual instead of Jack’s suggestion. She nodded curtly and turned on her heel. I frowned, regretting my choice. I should’ve just gone with what Jack suggested; this was, after all, his itinerary.

I stood quickly, rushing over to the counter to catch the girl I assumed was Pamela; I’d not gotten a good look at her nametag.

“Sorry, could I change that for a slice of meat lover’s?” I caught sight of her nametag that read Pamela.

“Fine,” she disappeared momentarily, coming back a few seconds later. She realized I was there and stared at me with a look of displeasure. “Was there something else you needed?”

I cocked an eyebrow at her rudeness. “No thanks, I’m fine,” I replied with the same tone she’d used with me and returned to my table to finish labeling everything. I snapped a picture of Pamela and wrote ‘Rude!’ across the bottom.

Pamela returned fifteen minutes later, practically slamming a glass of water and a plate in front of me. I barely muttered out thanks before she was gone. Who knows what her problem was, but she needed to chill out.

I piled the photos together and placed them in my bag, starting in on the pizza in front of me. I thought Jack and the guys coming here as well. Had we ever been here at the same time, not even realizing it? Probably not, but it was nice to think of.

I checked my phone for any messages or notifications, but found none. Mike and I hadn’t spoken much since I’d bailed on dinner with him and some of his friends. I knew that the invitation had been to test the waters of our relationship. It was a peace offering to signify that we were okay, but I felt as if it was a test of my loyalty all at the same time. I wasn’t quite sure why Mike was so standoffish lately. It’s not like I was replacing him with Jack. I could never replace my best friend, so that was a stupid idea.

I checked the time, noting that I had about half an hour to make it to the next stop. I finished eating and snuck out of the pizza parlor. On my way out I spotted a photographer. He took a few pictures, but didn’t approach me or make a scene. Since the entire scandal had happened over a decade ago, my family and I were old news. Of course, every once in a while the media would do a little update on how the former senator’s former family was doing.

I nodded and smiled out of courtesy as I mounted my bike and headed to Jack’s next pick.

Chicago Tribune Freedom Center : So you’ve had a sort of nice morning, but now it’s time to enjoy a show. So have fun at the theater watching Peter Pan. Alex and I managed to get in some free time and see it the last time we were in town. It’s awesome. You’ll get out about 4:30pm. So from there you can go home and change and stuff if you want. You’ve got one more outing left on this list. I would suggest being there at 7:00pm.

I stepped back out into the sun at 4:30, just as Jack had said. The play was just as amazing as he’d described. He couldn’t have known, but Peter Pan was one of my favorite stories as a child, the thought of never growing up and facing the world was always appealing. The seat Jack had gotten for me was near the front, which not only gave me a great view, but also allowed me to walk away with a prize: a small bottle of ‘Fairy Dust’. It just golden glitter powder, but it was still a nice little memory.

I headed home, putting my bike away in the garage. As expected, Layla was blasting her music in her room and despite my attempts at knocking she never answered. I stepped in and lowered the volume on her stereo.

“Hey!” Layla turned swiftly to glare at me. “I’m listening to that.”

“I know, I know. I’ll let you get back to damaging your hearing. However, I’m going to Navy Pier. Did you want to come with me?” I asked.

“Not really, thanks though,” she declined.

“Are you sure?” I tried again. “I mean, you’ve been home alone all day. Wouldn’t you like some company?”

Layla exhaled loudly. “Not really. I’m fine. I have plans anyway.”

“Oh.” I leaned against her door frame. “With who?”

“Some friends from school, mother. Don’t worry about it,” Layla said dismissively.

I pursed my lips, but let it go. “Okay, then have a good time and be careful.”

I headed to my room to fix my hair and change. I decided that my white sundress with blue polka-dots and my Converse would be casual, but cute and girly at the same time.

I had plenty of time left so I decided to style my hair. I released it from the bun I’d secured it with earlier and turned on my large barrel curling iron. I curled my hair into large loose ringlets and finger-combed them. I pinned back some hair and touched up my makeup.

I studied my reflection in the mirror, smoothing out my hair once more before gathering my things and getting ready to leaving the house again. The sun had just finished setting; the remnants of streaks of orange and pink littering the horizon.

I decided to take a cab to the pier, instead of biking. As beautiful as it might have been, I didn’t want to take any risks on my way home. I hailed a taxi and gave the driver the address before reading the last item on the list on the way over.

Navy Pier: And you’ve finally reached the last stop. At the ticket booth ask for Gretchen. She’ll give you a bracelet to get in. While it’s all so exciting, you’re not to stop anywhere else. Make your first stop the Ferris wheel.

The lights from the pier were vivid, bathing the area in pools of colored light. The Ferris wheel was the main attraction at Navy Pier. It towered above the other tents and the water at the south end of the pier. Colored Christmas lights wrapped around each spoke to add to the overall effect. In all honesty, Navy pier was a nice place during the day, but at night it transformed into one of the most beautiful spectacles in Chicago.

I thanked the cab driver when we came to a stop, handing him cash. He bid me farewell as he pulled away, leaving me to enter the queue. It wasn’t terribly long, but there was still a bit of a wait. I stood in line patiently until finally I was in front of an older woman I knew fairly well from my years of political galas.

Mid forties with shoulder-length, bright auburn hair; thick black frames obscured her brown eyes, but the neon blue eye shadow stood out well enough on its own. As I stepped in front of the ticket booth, Gretchen Hoffman greeted me with a smile.

“Hello there, Arianna. How can I help you?”

“Hello Mrs. Hoffman,” I began. “A friend of mine said that I needed to talk to you?”

“Oh, yes, of course,” Gretchen shuffled around the small table space she had until she found what she was looking for. She produced a plastic, neon colored bracelet and motioned for me to give her one of my hands. “Let me get that for you. How come I haven’t seen you and your mother much?”

“Oh we’ve just been so busy; me with college and my mom with work,” I said as I held up my right hand and she wrapped the green yellow bracelet around my wrist.

“Well it’s nice to see you again, dear. Alright, head on in and have a good time.”

“I need to pay for it, though,” I said, pulling out my wallet.

“No sweetie, your friend already paid for your entry and bracelet,” she explained. “You’re all set. He’s quite the romantic huh?”

“Um, I suppose. Thank you,” I said sincerely and waved as I passed through the gate. I pulled out the camera, taking a picture of the pier at the entry, capturing the tents and most of the games with the Ferris wheel making an appearance in the back ground.

I made my way through the crowd to the Ferris wheel, wondering why Jack wanted me to go there immediately. The caramel apples were calling my name and I wanted to check out the jewelry stands. But I avoided those areas, making a beeline for the wheel. I would follow his instructions; after all, he’d gone through so much trouble for this gesture.

A surprised gasp fell from my mouth as a smile broke out across my face as I stopped in front of the Ferris wheel. Jack stood on the platform, grinning at me like a Cheshire cat. My mouth dropped open a few times as I tried to find the right words. “Jack? Oh, my god, what are you doing here?”

“Surprise,” Jack replied simply, stepping down to the last step. I stood in awe before him as he reached out to me. I took his hand as he helped me up the steps and into a hug.

“Oh my god,” I repeated. “You’re here, in Chicago.”

“I know,” Jack chuckled. “I’m here.” He led me into the bucket as the ride conductor shut the small door and began loading other patrons in.

I felt like my heart was about to burst from the overwhelming happiness I was feeling. Jack still held my hand, not bothering to let go and it didn’t bother me in the least.

“What are you doing here?” I asked again, facing Jack.

“I came to surprise you,” Jack answered, smiling at me, “had to take you out on a date.”

Jack’s eyes swept over me and I fought the urge to blush and move away. He half smiled, pushing a piece of my hair behind my ear. “You look beautiful, Ari. It’s nice seeing you in person instead of on the other side of a screen.”

I smiled back, blushing at his words. I studied his features in the light that emanated from the spokes. The screen really didn’t do him much justice, I thought to myself. “Thank you. It is nice to see you. I can’t believe you’re here. I mean, I don’t understand. How on earth did you plan all of this?”

Jack chuckled at the array of statements and questions I was making. “Well like I said, I had to take you out on a date?”

“You didn’t have to,” I corrected automatically.

“You’re right, I didn’t have to,” Jack agreed. “I wanted to. I meant what I said, Ari. I really do like you.”

“You are truly one of a kind, Jack Barakat,” I sighed, letting go of his hand to better situate myself.

Jack laughed, draping his arm around my shoulders as we enjoyed each other’s company. I pulled out the camera he’d given me and refilled the film. I handed it to him so he could take a picture of us together at we reached the top. He pulled me close and counted to three, pressing the button. As I waited for the photo to dry, Jack reached over, pressing a kiss to my forehead as he took another picture.

“Hey,” I protested. “I wasn’t ready for a picture.

“It’s a good one, I swear,” Jack argued as the camera spit out the photograph. We watched together as the photo developed.

It was, in fact, a very good picture; one that any legitimate couple would envy. That thought made something fluttered in the pit of my stomach. Jack and I weren’t a legitimate couple. We were simply acquaintances who were physically attracted to each other and shared a few similar interests.

I looked over at him as he studied the photo with a smile on his face. “I like it,” he said softly.

I nodded in agreement as I looked out over Navy Pier. The second round on the Ferris wheel came by and stopped as we reached the top and the wheel creaked to a stop. I looked around confused. “What’s going on?” I asked. Usually the ride only lasted for two rounds.

“I may or may not have bribed the conductor to give us some extra time up here,” Jack replied nonchalantly.

I grinned as I shook my head at him. “You’re amazing. You did all of this… for me?”

“Of course,” Jack said, as if it was obvious.

I chuckled in disbelief. “But why?”

“What do you mean why?”

“I mean… why? I’m not anything special,” I muttered staring at my hands on my lap.

Jack’s hands lifted my chin to look into his eyes. “See, that’s where you’re wrong. I think you’re extremely special.”

I felt the blood rush to my cheeks, heating my face as Jack leaned in. I closed my eyes as our lips met and he kissed me gently, our lips fit together perfectly. I wasn’t going to lie; I felt sparks. I was on cloud nine; like nothing could ruin this moment.

I bit my lip as Jack pulled away from me, and helped me out of the bucket and down the steps. He laced his fingers with mine as we walked past the line of waiting people.

“That’s Jack Barakat!” I heard a girl say as we passed.

“Isn’t that Arianna Roberts?” I heard someone else say.

I let my hand drop away from Jack’s quickly, searching for the person who’d mentioned my name. There were two girls and three guys standing together in a group. They were all staring but the taller girl, a brunette with pink streaked hair, was walking towards us. The other four just stood there, not sure what to do. Finally, the shorter girl, a platinum blonde with bright blue raccoon tails, followed her.

“H-hi, I was wondering if we could get a picture with you and an autograph,” The first girl asked Jack.

Jack nodded and smiled as he smiled at me, asking me to take the picture. I took the girl’s camera from her. “Get together,” I smiled.

“No, that’s okay, Harry can take it. We want you in the picture too,” she said. The second girl nodded enthusiastically.

“Why on earth would you want me in the picture?” I asked nervously. Jack watched us with a look of intrigue.

“You’re Arianna Roberts,” the girl with blue hair said. “We’ve heard about you since… gosh, I can’t even remember when, but my mom always said that you were a really good role model. She’ll freak when she sees this.”

A boy, Harry, stepped forward and held out his hand for the camera. I handed it to him with a small smile. Jack grabbed my hand, pulling me next to him with the two girls in front of us. We all smiled as Harry counted to three and took the picture.

“Thanks so much,” said the pink haired girl.

I nodded as they each handed Jack a slip of paper from their bags.

“What are your names?” he asked as he looked for a marker he kept in his pocket.

“I’m Ava,” replied the pink haired girl. Jack wrote her a little message and signed his name.

“I’m Makayla,” answered the other girl. Jack again wrote a message and signed his name, handing each of the girls their paper. I stood a few steps back waiting for Jack to finish, but the two girls handed me their slips of paper and asked Jack for his marker.

“Can we have your autograph too?” they asked.

“Uh sure.” I took the marker and signed their papers next to Jack’s signature, adding my own personal message. “Here you go.”

“Thank you,” they each said and left to rejoin their friends in line. I felt a pair of eyes on me, Jack’s. “What?”

“I didn’t know you were famous,” Jack replied cheekily.

“I’m not famous,” I argued.

“Really? Because last I heard, people don’t just ask random people for a picture and an autograph.”

“I’m not famous. I just was in the news for a while,” I shrugged, hoping he wouldn’t ask anything more.

“For what?” he asked, clearly not reading the tension I was emitting.

“Just some political stuff,” I watered down the truth, “stuff with my mom.”

“Were you a rebel? Did you get caught doing something bad?” Jack teased. I exhaled in relief. He teasing me about it meant that he’d lay off the subject for a while.

I wondered how long he’d believe that my father had died, or how long it would take him to realize who I was and why the entire city of Chicago knew my name. I should’ve told him the truth, but I didn’t think he’d stick around long enough to be bothered. With this new development and his efforts to keep some sort of relationship with me, however, was a definite step in the wrong direction.

Jack broke my concentration when he tapped my shoulder, offering to get me something to eat. I needed to focus on tonight, not on how I’d fix my recent mistake. Jack was taking me on a real date. I wanted to remember it, not worry about whether I would lose a friend when the truth came out.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you all for being so patient. I'm so sorry that it took so long to update. But here it is and I hope you guys like this chapter. Personally, I liked it a lot. I hope I conveyed what I wanted to for all of you. Tell me what you guys think. Comment please!

Also thanks to attractivetoday13 for being the most regular commentator. It means tons to us.