Homeless and Hopeless

o1

I can't believe I am here.

Six months ago I was living the good life, good job, nice apartment, amazing friends, going to school for my dream job. Now... now I am sitting in a homeless shelter just hoping for a hot meal.

I guess there is an explanation needed.

I was born in Pittsburgh and raised by my mom after my parents divorced when I was four. After I graduated high school, I decided I wanted to move to Arizona to be closer to my dad. So I packed up my bags and left my friends to move to Phoenix.

I had a good life out in Phoenix. I started school for my nursing degree, got a job as a nursing aide, and gained a new group of friends, while keeping in close contact with my best friend from back home.

That was until a year ago when everything fell apart when my father was diagnosed with cancer. He was given nine months to live, but only lasted five. I spent all my free time taking care of him, making sure that he was comfortable, that the bills were paid, etc. that I failed out of class and lost my job.

When my father died, I was left with nothing because we spent all of his savings for his treatment and nursing care. Within a month, the house was foreclosed, and I was out on the street.

Which leads me to sitting here, hoping for a warm dinner on Thanksgiving.

“You know Katey, you should quit sitting there moping. I hear we have some special guest coming in today.” My friend Eric said as he sat next to me.

“Yeah okay. Who? Santa Claus?”

He laughed. “No. Some hockey player I think. Big fan of homeless I guess.”

I rolled my eyes. “Or just a fan of another paycheck.”

“Awwww. Is someone a bit jealous?” Eric teased. “Come on, maybe he is just volunteering his time.”

I laughed. “Yeah okay. If I was a big time hockey player, this is the last place I would want to spend my Thanksgiving.”

“Not everyone is you.” I heard Eric say as the door opened and I watched as whom I presumed was the guest of the hour walk in.

Well isn’t he a tall dark glass of water.

“Come back to earth Katey. Kateyyyy come backkkkk.” Eric said as he waved his hand in front of my face.

I slapped his hand away. “I’m fine. Besides, a guy like that wouldn’t have anything to do with a girl like me.”

He rolled his eyes as we got up and went in line to get our meal.

Man, days like this make me miss homemade Thanksgiving dinners.

As we got towards the end of the line, I felt like someone was staring a hole into my back.
When I turned around, the hockey player boy quickly acted like he wasn’t staring. I shrugged it off and followed Eric back to our table.

Halfway through eating, and several hilarious holiday stories from Eric later, I felt someone sit beside me.

“So what is a girl like you doing in a place like this?”

Oh, you have got to be kidding me.