‹ Prequel: Just Say Yes
Status: Updates coming along slowly but surely. : )

Open Your Eyes

Isn't That False Advertising?

When Jenna had said the next week would be busy, she really hadn't been lying as Erin found out the hard way. The blonde had spent what felt like hours upon hours getting familiar with her new work place and co-workers. She had found herself getting lost more than once and had to ask whomever was around where she was and how to get back to her desired location. The young male who had shown her to the waiting area on her first day, and went by the name of Alex, had proven to be the biggest help of all. He was one of the most friendly office workers she had come across and had taken time to get to know him during their lunch breaks which Jenna occasionally joined.

When Erin hadn't been busy at the firm learning her way around and what her job actually entailed, she had to enroll herself in the same course she had been taking back in Las Vegas so she could say she had at least little bit of professional training. Her classes were at six o'clock every Tuesday and Wednesday evening extending a lengthy three hours, which Jenna had happily cut her hours shorter on those specific days.

Currently Erin was stuck behind her desk in her small office sorting through paperwork Jenna had asked to her finish by the end of the day. It was close three o'clock and she was almost finished. She had made it her goal to leave by four o'clock so she could just barely miss the rush hour traffic of everyone trying to get home for dinner.

Erin furrowed her brows as one document was giving her difficulty, she had been so transfixed by the issue that she hadn't noticed someone walk into her brightly lit office.

“You have your own office, this is so cool!” Lisa beamed, startling Erin slightly. The pregnant brunette's eyes scanned the small office that was illuminated by the vast amount of natural light cascading in from the large windows and admired the modern pieces of furniture scattered through out.

Erin laughed softly before nodding her head. “Yeah, it's not much but it's nice.” She hadn't yet gotten a chance to personalize it, she had been far too busy trying not to get lost to worry about what her office looked like.

“Well I've seen your work so I know it'll only look better once you get your hands on it.” Lisa shuffled over to the empty chair in front of Erin's desk, making herself comfortable in it before continuing. “Speaking of, you should totally do baby Vengeance's nursery.”

Lisa urged as she ran a hand over her stomach. “I'll hire you and I can be your first official client.”

“That's sweet and I'd love to do it but I don't think you can hire me.” Erin shrugged sheepishly before continuing “I'm only an intern.”

“Well that's stupid.” Lisa scoffed lightly as she inspected her finger nails. She was silent for a moment before she snapped back to life. “So how have you been? I think I've talked to you less in the whole week you've been here than I did when you were back in Nevada.” Lisa spoke in a somewhat dejected tone. Erin had been aware how excited Lisa was about living in the same city again but her first week back had proven to be much too busy to catch up with old friends.

“I know, I'm so sorry. It's been hectic.” Erin sighed heavily, feeling guilty she had ignored her best friend during her first week back in California. She had a lot of things to get organized and hadn't met to ignore her, at all. “You wouldn't believe how hard it is to navigate around this place. I get lost so easily.” Erin lightly chuckled to herself hoping to lighten the mood but was only met with a weak smile in return.

“So what brings you here?” Erin asked as she moved the document that had puzzled her to the finished pile before bringing her eyes up to settle on Lisa. Her lips curved into a meek smile as she attempted to change the subject.

“I can't come visit my best friend without a hidden agenda?” Lisa defended in mock offense. Erin maintained a straight face as she sent a pointed look the brunette's way who in turn sighed heavily. “If you really do feel bad about ditching me this week then I have a way for you make it up to me.”

Erin smirked, knowing full well Lisa had some sort of plan brewing in her cunning mind. “And that would be?” She quirked a curious eyebrow as Lisa smiled.

“Come to Johnny's Bar and Grill tonight for the St. Patrick's Day celebration. We're all going.” Lisa finished her sentence in a mock sing-song voice and bat her eyelashes sweetly.

Erin mulled it over in her head, she knew what Lisa had meant, or who rather, when she said 'we'. It meant that the band, and more importantly Brian would be in attendance, she wasn't sure whether she was ready for that experience quite yet. When Erin didn't respond, Lisa let her upbeat tone falter and opted for a more somber one.

“It was their tradition with Jimmy, it's going to be emotional so they could use all the familiar faces they can get.” Lisa said softly and Erin could hear sadness in her friends voice come through. “I know a certain someone who'd be happy to see you there.” Lisa offered a meek smile as Erin nibbled on her bottom lip, pondering the suggestion.

Erin knew it was an infallible situation, running into Brian would happen sooner or later and most likely the sooner she got it over with the better. She just wasn't sure seeing him for the first time in a crowded bar full of rowdy patrons ready to drink until their stomachs would let them was the way to go about it. With a shaky sigh, Erin rubbed the back of her neck before looking to her best friend.

“I gotta go pick up Ben from out of school care,” Lisa started as she lifted herself awkwardly from the chair. Her back curved slightly as her stomach was only getting bigger each passing day. “but think about it okay? It'd mean a lot to all of them.”

Erin mustered a weak smile as she watched Lisa's frame exit through the glass door, she sent her friend a wave before the brunette was out of sight. Without hesitation Erin got back to work on the last few documents left. A half an hour later she was on her last one when she was once again joined by a brunette woman in her office. This time it was Jenna.

“I'm almost done these documents.” Erin said quickly before Jenna could even get a word in. “Is there anything else you want me to do?”

Jenna laughed softly, as she amusingly shook her head. “Yeah, go home.” Erin's head snapped up in surprise. “You've been here long enough.”

Erin's eyebrows raised slightly upon hearing Jenna's insistent words but was internally appreciative as well. She stole a glance at the clock on her wall and smiled as she realized she would most definitely have enough time to make it home before rush hour began. The blonde collected all the paperwork she had completed into one pile before gathering it in her hands to hand off to Jenna.

“I'm surprised you finished so quickly. I'm impressed.” Jenna complimented as Erin gathered her large purse and jacket.

“I just hope I didn't miss anything.” Erin cast a weary look Jenna's way but the brunette waved her off, telling her it wasn't a big deal if something small got overlooked. Erin was about to exit her office but thought better of it as an idea popped into her mind.

“Hey, are you busy tonight?” She turned on her heel to glance at Jenna who looked surprised at the question. “I got invited to this thing at Johnny's Bar and Grill tonight and I could use a friend to hang around with since I'm kind of avoiding a certain someone. You interested?” Erin caught Jenna smile faintly at the mention of them being friends.

“While that sounds like fun, my boyfriend is coming back to town tonight and I promised him I'd be home.” Jenna answered in a soft tone. Erin nervously chewed on her bottom lip, realizing that she'd have to endure seeing Brian all on her own without a friend at her side. “Take tomorrow off, we'll both have long weekends and on Monday you can fill me in on this certain someone you're avoiding.”

Erin laughed softly as she followed Jenna out of the office. “You got yourself a deal.” She plastered a fake smile on her face as she and Jenna then parted ways. Making her way out of the building, she couldn't help but let her mind begin dwelling on what the night ahead held for her.

- - - - - - - - - - -

By the time Erin rolled her car up to Johnny's Bar and Grill, she could very well hear that the party was already well under way. Her eyes widened slightly as she stepped inside and became aware of how many people were in attendance. She had never seen so many bodies packed into such a tight space before, she was happy that at least some of the faces were bound to be familiar.

She immediately spotted Matt and Jason Berry near the entrance and both seemed to be a few beers deep, though Jason seemed worse off than Matt. She let Jason wrap a loose arm around her shoulders as he began asking her questions of where she had disappeared to and why it had taken so long for her to come back.

Erin frowned, wondering if Brian had even told any of them why she had gone back to Boulder City or if he just let them think whatever they pleased. Matt took a step closer and brought his mouth close to her ear as it was hard to hear over the loud rock music being played.

“Don't let this fucker upset you.” Matt pushed Jason away from her, much to his twin brother's annoyance. “Jenna says your doing a fucking awesome job.” Matt commented before ingesting a mouthful of dyed green beer.

Erin nodded faintly. “Well she's a great teacher.” Erin assured as Matt's attention turned to his twin brother who was attempting to pry a drink from one of the other patrons hands. It just so happened that the patron in question was a much larger, and much meaner looking guy who held an irritated expression. Matt muttered a curse before excusing himself to save his brother from getting the snot beaten out of him.

Erin took that as her cue to continue her journey through out the congested bar. Out of the corner of her eye she spotted Johnny and Lacey at a small table, they were joined by three other people Erin wasn't familiar with. She decided she'd approach the couple when they were alone since she didn't want to intrude.

“Erin!” The blonde turned her head as she heard her name being faintly called over the boisterous music. Erin's lips curved into a genuine smile as she noticed Lisa waving at her, practically jumping up and down. Zacky stood close behind his fiance, trying to stop her from bouncing in her spot.

Erin pushed her way through the crowd before stopping just short of the couple, catching Zacky whisper something in Lisa's ear. His hands came to rest gently on her shoulders and Lisa craned her neck to look back at him.

“Erin please tell Zacky that jumping up and down won't hurt the baby.” Lisa stated, turning her attention away from her worrying fiance. Erin opened her mouth to reply but Zacky spoke before she could.

“Erin please tell Lisa that she shouldn't even be here.” Lisa rolled her eyes and shook her head. “It's no place for a pregnant woman.” Zacky reasoned and again Erin opened her mouth to speak but this time Lisa cut her off before she had a chance.

“I'm not drinking! And there's no smoking in here so I don't see the problem.” Lisa argued as a frown crept its way onto her face, and her eyes became slightly glassy, signaling tears. “I just wanted to be here for you. I know tonight is something you guys did with Jimmy and I didn't want you to be alone.”

Zacky let out a defeated sigh as Erin watched the couple with an amused smile. “I know babe, and I love you for it.” He placed a loving kiss on her lips as his hands lightly slid down her arms then came to rest on her protruding stomach. “I just want her to be the healthiest she can.”

“If things get too out of hand we can leave.” Lisa compromised with a nod.

As Erin watched her best friend and the rhythm guitarist make up, she felt an overwhelming urge to get some alcohol into her system. She excused herself, not that they had noticed much since their focus was mainly on one another, and began making her way towards the bar.

She muttered a curse as she took in the extremely long line up for drinks. She stood there contemplating whether she really needed one or not until she caught a glimpse of a man standing in a bright green shirt on the small patio nearby. The patio was usually used for the smokers to come outside and satisfy their craving, however the man outside wasn't smoking. His head was down but it didn't stop her from giving his large frame a once over, and chuckled upon reading the white print on the front of his shirt.

He turned his head to the side, staring at something out of sight which let some of the light from the inside of the bar illuminate his features. Erin laughed to herself as she started towards him. He didn't notice her presence beside him until she chose to speak.

“Isn't that false advertising?” Erin quipped with a girlish giggle. His head snapped over in her direction at the sound of her voice. He furrowed his brows at her before she silently motioned to the 'Fuck me, I'm Irish' text on the piece of clothing covering his torso.

Matt chuckled lightly before nodding. “Not necessarily.” His deep voice said softly as he flashed a halfhearted smile her way, never letting it reach his eyes.

“Well for one I'm sure Val wouldn't like it very much.” Erin joked but noticed his smile falter at the mention of his fiance. Matt sighed as he turned to look out at the dark street the patio looked out to.

“She's not even here tonight.” He explained before clearing his throat. Erin turned her body so that her back was to the open entrance to the bar and she was now in the same position as Matt. “Her and Michelle went down to San Diego for the weekend.”

Erin frowned upon hearing where his fiance was, according to Lisa this gathering had been a tradition among the boys and Jimmy. Surely as Matt's fiance, Val would want to be there for him during such a difficult time. Erin did the only thing she thought might help, she placed a gentle hand on his arm.

She half expected him to brush her off and continue on with his night. Matt had taken a while to warm up to her when her and Brian had been dating, though she had chalked that up to Val most likely not wanting her fiance to become too friendly with the new woman taking Michelle's place in Brian's life.

Matt cleared his throat before he turned his body again, now facing the open doorway of the bar. “You want a drink?”

Erin crinkled her nose, making Matt laugh softly as she shook her head. “No, the line is super long, you'll probably--”

“Hey Sanders!” Matt's head snapped up to the direction in which the voice had come from, his gaze settled firmly on the doorway. Erin's breath hitched in her throat as the all too familiar voice filled her ears. However, the voice that had once held a velvety smoothness to it now held nothing more than an obvious drunken slur. She decided keep her back to him, not wanting to draw his attention even though the man next to her seemed to.

“Val doesn't show up to one social event and you've already gotten yourself a new piece of ass?” Brian slurred with a drunken chuckle as Erin peeked out of the corner of her eye to see Matt shake his head in disgust.

“Drunk again Gates?” Matt question with narrowed eyes as he crossed his large arms across his chest. Brian let out a laugh and Erin immediately caught the trace of bitterness laced with it.

“What the fuck else is there to do? It is St. Patty's day after all.” He countered with a smug smirk before downing the rest of the green beer in his hand and placing the empty cup on a ledge nearby.

“It must be St Patty's day everyday for you then huh?” Matt spat harshly, causing a beat of silence to overcome the group on the patio. She heard the faint sound of a lighter being ignited and could only assume Brian was lighting himself a cigarette. She was proven correct as the smell of it filled the air.

“Someone sounds a little angry.” Brian mumbled with the cancer stick still between his thin lips. He let out a laugh, but Erin wasn't sure what was funny. “Don't you think babe?” For a moment Erin thought that Brian had been talking to her but the moment she heard another feminine voice reply, she knew she had been wrong.

Erin chose that time to turn around and reveal herself to Brian and his choice of acquaintance. Brian had been in the midst of laughing when she spun around but as his eyes locked with hers, she watched a darkened expression take over. His smile promptly dissipated and the hold he had on his date only tightened.

Erin took the opportunity to once over the girl flush to his side. She took in the black leather pants that accentuated her long legs and her black tank top that revealed a significant amount of cleavage. If it weren't for the revealing outfit and the black raccoon eye make up, Erin would've guessed the girl was no older than eighteen or nineteen at the most. Strikingly close in age to her younger brother.

Brian's darkened expression remained but forced a laugh from his throat before turning his attention away from her and onto the lead singer to her left. “Shit Sanders, I had no idea you were interested in my ex.” Brian spoke with a slight edge to his voice.

His once warm brown eyes shifted back to her and were filled with an anger she hadn't seen in them before. Not even when she had told him of Michelle's attempted sabotage of their relationship. Erin wanted to speak up and say something but couldn't with him heatedly staring her down.

“I always thought she had a thing for you.” He muttered as he let the smoke billow out from his lungs, and the girl at his side flashed Erin a snide smirk. Out of the corner of her eye, she could see Matt worriedly glance over at her before he took a step towards Brian.

“That's enough Gates, leave her alone.” Matt warned but Brian chose to ignore the larger man who's face was cross.

“She's all fucking yours.” He said before Matt forced him back inside. Erin felt anger begin swirling in her stomach at his comments. He was making her feel like she was merely a piece of property to him and he was ready to hand her off to someone else. She figured they wouldn't have a happy reunion but she never expected one so hateful.

Erin released the breath she hadn't realized she had been holding as she watched Brian's retreating figure. Her eyes followed his hand as it slowly lowered down the young blonde's back until it reached her backside. She looked away in disgust to catch Matt flashing her a sympathetic look.

“Well that was fun.” She retorted jokingly, not wanting to show Matt, or Brian if he cared to watch, that the words her ex had spewed didn't hurt her in the least. She attempted to inhale a calming breath but failed as her nerves were shot and she'd definitely need an alternate remedy.

“Sorry,” Matt said as he made sure Brian was across the bar and out of earshot before turning back to the pensive blonde. “drunk Brian is a loose lipped Brian.”

“I'm rethinking that drink...” Erin turned to look at Matt who was now leaning up against the outside wall of the bar. “you want anything?” She asked pointing inside, Matt shook his head and told her he'd watch from the doorway to make sure no one bothered her.

Erin weaved her way through the borderline claustrophobic amount of St. Patrick's Day party goers, most of which held a glass of green beer in their hands. She only pushed her way through when she deemed it necessary. After she got herself a vodka seven and paid the bartender, she turned on her heel to rejoin Matt outside.

Before she got the chance to get more than three feet away from the bar, she barely missed having green beer spilled on her as a guy who was clearly heavily intoxicated already, stumbled into her. Since his beverage was almost full, a large quantity of it ended up on the floor as hers was completely knocked out of her hand and fell to the floor. He slurred an insincere apology before disappearing back into the crowd.

“You okay?” Erin felt a gentle but large hand rest on her back. She immediately lifted her head and was met with a pair of friendly light blue eyes. The mystery guy was attractive with a thick head of dirty blonde hair that was in messy curls and stubble along his jaw and chin, giving him an older look to his otherwise young looking face. His full lips curved into a cute boyish smirk as she felt a faint blush wash over her cheeks but hoped the vicinity was dark enough he couldn't tell.

“Yeah, I'm fine.” She assured with a small nod, not looking away from his six foot two stature.

“Can I get you a new drink?” He questioned leaning in closer as the music over the speakers got louder, Erin pulled back slightly to look up at him before she nodded her head. He flashed a cute half smile before repositioning his hand on her back as he began leading her over to the bartender.

As the unnamed man ordered her another drink, Erin cast a look over her shoulder, instantly catching the dark pair of brown eyes that stared at her from across the room. Brian's young date clung to his arm, attempting to drag him to another location but he didn't budge as their eyes were locked.

Brian only looked away when he dipped his head down to kiss the young blonde's lips roughly. Erin tore her eyes away just as the blonde man handed her, her replenished beverage and graciously thanked him with a flirtatious smile.

If Brian had moved on, then so could she.
♠ ♠ ♠
This was super long hope it was worth the wait. I assume you all knew that it wasn't going to go smoothly between them. Brian's in a dark place and hates the world, but most of all those that are capable of hurting him. Also Erin will be getting another love interest, who do you think it will be? (Matt? Bar guy? Someone else entirely?) Let me know your thoughts!

Thank you to everyone who comments, reads and subscribes. By the time you all read this it'll officially be my birthday (June 21) so please leave me some lovely comments and let me know what you thought/felt about this chapter? Thank you, it'd mean the world to me. :)

thoughts?