Status: I'm on hiatus until June 27th 2012 due to my GCSE's. Please, please stick with this.

In Spirit

if you come to a fork in the road, take it

Standing at the edge of the dining hall, Marianne’s head swivels one way in the direction of a group of girls giggling loudly, and then in the opposite direction, to three tall, intimidating guys. Her mind is torn; she doesn’t know who to approach first.

In the end, her decision is made for her. Heather Jacobs gets up out of her seat and goes to leave, and so the rest of the girls follow her. In the middle of the group of girls, Marianne can see Elise smiling and laughing. It might just be the fact that she’s so far away from her, but Marianne thinks that her smiles seem overly forced.

She watches as they leave the room, a nervous feeling building up in the pit of her stomach. It is a while before she can tear her eyes away from the space where they just left, and back onto Connor’s table.

“Okay Connor, here I come….” She mutters. She tugs at her bag strap, hoisting it higher over her shoulders and sets off determinedly towards their table. Before she gets there however, she is stopped by Jacob Jefferies, a boy in the year below her. Although he is younger than her, he is taller, his 5”10 lean frame easily towering over Marianne’s 5”5 frame. He has light brown hair framing an extremely cute face; wide blue eyes, rosy cheeks and freckles dusting his nose. Marianne knows not to be deceived by his looks though, Jacob Jefferies and co are well known for causing trouble wherever they go.

“Marianne, hey.” He smiles nervously. Marianne resists the urge to narrow her eyes in suspicion.

“Hey, Jacob…?” Marianne tries to inconspicuously look around Jacob, making sure Connor is still seated at his table. To her dismay, it looks like they are almost done eating and are about to leave very soon. She nervously tugs at the end of a strand of dusty brown hair.

“Look I need to talk to you about something.” His voice sounds unusually nervous but Marianne can’t concentrate on this right now; Connor and the others are starting to clear the rubbish from their table. As if sensing that Marianne isn’t entirely focused on him, Jacob waves his hand over her face a few times.

“Wha-?... Oh sorry Jacob, carry on.”

“Look I can’t talk here, but I really need to speak to you. Are you free after school?” Marianne analyses his facial expression, looking for any hint of the mischievous smirk that usually gives him away. There is none, and in fact he looks so sincere that it scares her. Marianne keeps to herself at all times at school as a rule, and she is surprised that Jacob even knows her name.

“Oh...I think so, why?” Jacob gives a nervous look around, as if ashamed to be seen with her. Marianne peers around Jacob again, the table is now cleared and they are stood around talking, looking like they might leave at any moment.

“Look, I’ll meet you by the front benches after the last bell, I’ve got to go, bye!” Jacob is running off, and Marianne barely has time to comprehend what has just happened before she remembers her original purpose in venturing to the dining hall, a place she normally avoids. She can see Connor and his friends leaving, and she quickly hurries after them.

“Connor! Connor!” Connor turns around and his piercing stare falls on Marianne. Marianne thinks, as his dark green orbs burn holes through her head, that a lot of his intimidation comes from the fact that he is so inhumanely beautiful. He has pale skin and a sharp, angled jaw. His dark brown hair falls around his face in a tousled, care free way. His large green eyes are sharp, and Marianne knows just by looking at them, that they don’t miss much in the way of detail.

“Yes…?” He trails off, obviously not knowing her name. Marianne swallows nervously.

“It’s Marianne.”

“What?” For a second, his tone of voice scares her, and she starts to remember all of the rumours about him. He beat off a group of ten Hell’s Angels bikers by himself. He put three guys in the hospital just because they insulted his Mother. His best friend is Scotty Marsh, the local drug dealer. “What did you say?” Marianne breathes a small sigh of relief, realising that it was just because she had spoken so softly and he couldn’t hear her. She tries to be louder.

“It’s Marianne and I was wondering if I could talk to you.” She looks at Connor’s friends, on either side of him, sporting equally puzzled looks. “In private.” His blonde friend wolf whistles. In normal circumstances, Marianne would shoot him a dirty look, but seeing as she is terrified of all three of them, she settles on mentally stabbing him repeatedly.

Connor doesn’t laugh, but a small smirk tugs at the corners of his lips, and his eyes seem to dance with amusement.

“Sure, Marianne.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm writing from scratch now, so updates won't be as fast. Sorry! D:

Image