Status: Subscribe&there's more where this came from...

Black Heart

First sight

"Arizona, we've got French, haven't we?"
Lydia said, snapping me out of my current trance. I was an all-time-day dreamer, whatever was happening around me.
"Oh, uh, yeah Lyd, with Miss Baycoot." Deanswater High was a big building, in our town which was practically in the middle of nowhere; at least it wasn't on any map I knew of. I didn't see why it was to be so big when there were hardly any teenagers attending there; most people didn't even know we existed.
Lydia was dragging me along by now, down the corridors to our permanently moody warthog of a teachers room, talking fast, not realising i wasn't listening to most of what she said, as per-usual.
"Ri? Are you even listening! I've got BIG Goss here, and you're not even looking remotely interested! Oh, just listen. His names Ryan Cast, and hello, he's totally gorgeous!" She squealed, in her highest pitch possible.
"He's from E-N-G-L-A-N-D. Hear me? An English boy! And he is Mr Muscle, I'm telling you..."
I 'listened' to her go on and on about this apparent god-like kid, Ryan-The-Great. I'd heard it all before, and know enough now to realise he would not be the slightest bit interested in me. Why should he? I'm only the nerd of the century, local freak show. That's what everyone thinks, and that's all that counts around here, in other words the sluts and jocks opinions. I think its shallow, but hey, what can you do?
It was lunch, and I sat around a table in the food hall with Lyd, Caz, Whitney and the others, taking small bites into my lettuce and salad cream sandwich, which was pretty discgusting, but I had to eat something for the day. I caught drifts of their conversation about our French oral, which the warthog assigned up today, our new history teacher, and Prom. Prom was just 6 weeks away, and I had nobody to go with (well, nobody decent had asked me... so that takes Gawky-Gary out of the equation) as I'd suspected. Not a lot of thought had gone into it from me, I didn't want to think about how sad I was going to look without a date more than I had to, but the girls were already onto it, talking about guys they wanted to go with, dresses, how to get there in 'style'.
"Jack Doggs is soo into you, Caz. He's looking right at you!" Sally exclaimed, her voice getting higher as she spoke. The squal followed, of course.
"Yeah, he asked me to prom, like, yesterday. He's the first I've said yes to." She winked and flashed a dazzling smile. See, all the girls Lyd, and therefore me, sat with were gorgeous, they didn't even have to try. But obviously, they still did. It was easy for them all, including Lyd, to pull in a good guy. I was ok looking, really. I have long jet black wavy hair, green eyes, small figure, but I don't have that sparkle the rest of them did have. Maybe I was different because of my grades. Or my pale skin. Or the fact that I don't go out of my way to talk to people, guys in particular.
Suzan turned around to me all of a sudden, plastering on a smile.
"So, Arizona, who are you thinking of going with?" She must have already known the answer. She may as well have taken the 'thinking of' part out of the question. But, she was being nice, I suppose, so answered her, with a small smile.
"Well... I have no idea."
"Oh, come on. You must have your eye on someone. Woah, we need to get you a mouth-watering guy, don't we!" Even in her voice, there was a tiny bit of doubt. However, I could also tell she was determined enough to go ahead with some sort of plan, anyway.
"Oh, no that's okay..." I had started to say, but was overwelmed by the others. All attention was on me, which I wasn't used to at all. They were all blurting speech, encouraging speech, directed at me;
"Oh my gosh, yes!"
"Honey, you need a man in your life at least once, I say go for it!"
"Yeah, it sucks without one."
"You need a caring, confident guy who's not an ass, and who has that boy charm," Suzie continued.
"Talking of boy charms, look who's walking by looooking fine!" Lydia suddenly announced. Everyone turned, failing miserably to be descreet. Then again, maybe that was the point.
"Ryan..." Suzie sighed. Clearly in boy heaven.
A group of boys were walking by not far away, but one stood out the most by far. Strangely, I wasn't looking at him as a whole, though, I was looking at his eyes. As if he knew I was looking, he turned his head to me, looking straight back. Our eyes locked. I felt a shiver go down my spine. It was impossible to look away from those dark, dark eyes, absorbing all light, but reflecting none. His eyes seemed to show deep emotion, at the same time as hiding things. It was exordinary. In that long second, his eyes seemed to widen a bit, keeping cool at the same time, too. As if he was fascinated, but not exactly surprised. At...me?
Before I knew it, he had carried on walking, broke the connection. I could have sworn either his eye twitched, or he winked at me, though. I was just speachless. And it was weird that he looked at me and only me, but the weirdest thing of all; there was a tingling feeling from inside me, bursting something unexpected at my brain. It was telling me I knew him already, and had all my life.