Angela

Chapter 8

Angela’s P.O.V.

I still wasn’t so sure on the details, but Billie had insisted we get in his car and go for a drive. Sneaking out the house had been easier than I’d thought, though the mental side had been difficult. I knew how much trouble I’d be in if my mother found out, but there was a desperation in Billie’s voice that I couldn’t ignore. We were silent as he drove, probably to some place he didn’t know. Even I tended to get lost at night in my own area.

“So…what’s up?” I asked, having noticed that Billie had calmed down a fair bit.

“My wife didn’t fall,” he said slowly, his eyes not leaving the road. “She was pushed.” I gasped in disbelief.

“You found out today? Billie, that’s horrible! I’m so sorry!”

“No, I’ve known this all along.” His calmness was beginning to worry me. He was usually pretty touchy on the subject. The car came to a halt and Billie got out, then opened the door on my side. “Come with me, I want to show you something.”

“I won’t be able to see it in the dark, Billie. Can’t you take me here tomorrow after school?” I asked, figuring it made more sense.

“But I want to show you now.” He held out his hand and I took it with caution, the careful look on his face a sign that something was really not right. I paused for a moment as I thought I heard something, letting go of his hand to stay and listen closer. “What are you waiting for?”

“I can hear something,” I said softly.

“It’s probably just the–”

“Shh!” I cut him off. He didn’t appreciate that.

“Would you hurry the fuck up? There’s nothing there,” he snapped.

“Firstly, yes there is. It’s my goddamn ringtone I can hear and secondly, I don’t appreciate you snapping at me when I’ve come with you all the way out here for no apparent reason other than for you to show me something.” It took me a moment to realise. “But, I didn’t bring my phone with me…” I turned for some kind of explanation as to why I’d now realised the sound was coming from inside the bag that had been at his feet, but he wasn’t there to provide it.

“Get out of the car, Angela!” he yelled, and knowing better, I got inside instead. The door across from me opened but I slammed it shut twice; once on his fingers, and again to close it properly. I’d never moved so fast in my life as I locked all the doors and got in the driver’s seat, not really remembering much from the last time my dad had taken me out to drive. It didn’t seem to matter anymore as I heard Billie Joe cursing from the other side of the door as he held his hand up to his face, examining the damage I’d caused. I found my phone in his bag and checked my missed calls, panicking as I saw it was my mum that had called. So, she’d found out I’d snuck out. I couldn’t have been happier about that at the time. I searched through the bag a little more to find only some clothes, a torch, and his own mobile phone. So what was he planning to do? Rape me? Murder me? I didn’t wish to find out and so rammed the gears into drive and planted my foot on the accelerator, not really knowing where I was or how I was going to get home. All I knew was to drive faster than he could run, to a place he’d never reach. This philosophy soon had the police on my tail, which turned out to be sort of perfect. I pulled over and got out the car, shaking and barely able to stand.

“Now hold on there, miss. Everything will be alright…”
♠ ♠ ♠
Third update for tonight.