Status: Updated regularly

Dark Rider

.22

“I—“ A.J. stuttered softly as he looked around at her and moved in closer, bending down to hug her, he hesitated until he just couldn’t do it and pulled away in fear. “I can’t, Kassie! I’ll end up hurting you!”

“You will not,” Kassie said stubbornly as she tried to push herself up to hug him herself but failed at it. “I can’t get closer—I’m sorry.”

“Don’t say sorry, sweetie and don’t worry,” Rider stepped closer quickly and helped her lean up on her back a little, it pained her everything from lungs to inside organs for her to simply sit up and hug A.J. but she wouldn’t sit back down unless she had one. “Alexander James Mackerel, hug her while she can hug you, she’s hurting.”

“I’m fine,” she lied so A.J. wouldn’t feel so horrible. A.J. leaned down again and hesitantly hugged her as tightly as he could without it causing pain. “Tiff, hug—I haven’t seen you since graduation and that was two years ago.”

“College, you know,” Tiffany joked as she quickly hugged Kassie so Rider could let her lie back down to rest.

“How far along are you?” A.J. asked moments later as he took a seat beside the hospital bed. He propped his legs up on the side and glanced around the room. “Snazzy room, how long have you been stationed in this hellhole?”

“To long,” Kassie put her arm under her head and closed her eyes from the grogginess of the pills, she hated doping herself and her kids up but she couldn’t stand the pain, she had dealt with it for far to long. She hoped she would come accustom to it but as it went on, she got less and less tolerable of it and sooner rather than later began screaming in agony. “I’m six months and one week, having six kids’ makes you go into labor a lot sooner apparently. Rider just had to be good at the impregnating thing, it’s not like he can’t do everything else right.”

“Just let the play station thing go, I beat you twice because you suck at the controls,” Rider claimed as he held his arms out in defense. “I love you pumpkin, remember that.”

“I really don’t want to hear about how good goofy is at impregnating you, please. I just ate,” A.J. held his hand up in a pleading way as he begged with his eyes towards Kassie.

Kassie grinned in embarrassment at A.J.’s comment, but she understood where he was coming from. “I’m sorry,” she apologized with a quiet yawn. “Linda said my blood pressure was leveling out, its one twenty over seventy.”

Rider smiled as he crawled up into bed with Kassie and laid there rubbing her throbbing back. “That’s a lot better than yesterday.”

“What was it yesterday? Was it high?” A.J. wondered out loud as Tiffany sat down close to him on a small foot stool she had found under the sink.

“It was pretty high, one forty over ninety five—they gave me some Normodyne, its blood pressure medication, it’s supposed to lower it,” Kassie explained quietly as she relaxed her head against Rider’s shoulder.

“She’s still sleepy, the sedative they gave her is pretty strong,” Rider sympathetically murmured as he moved his hand lower and rubbed her lower back. “She’s asleep again isn’t she?”

Tiffany and A.J. both chuckled as they gazed at Kassie’s sleeping face, her mouth was gapped open like a tired out child. “I’m actually really surprised she isn’t snoring,” A.J. sweetly murmured as he leaned up and brushed back a long strand of faded auburn colored hair.

“She’s so adorable,” Tiffany cooed as she gazed at A.J. who acted so protectively and gentle towards Kassie. He was acting like she had all those years, protective over him like a mother, making sure he was always safe, and now he was returning the favor.

“I’ve missed her,” A.J. admitted looking up at Rider, who was protectively pulling the sheets around her larger than life waist.

“She’s missed you,” Rider told him with a small frown on his worried face. “She wanted you here, has for awhile now.”

“Why didn’t you call?” A.J. asked looking at Rider accusingly. “I would have been down here in a heartbeat.”

“That’s why,” Rider nodded his head to Kassie. “She wanted you here but she knew that you needed to stay there. She only let me call when she was put on the watch list.”

“Watch list?” Tiffany asked, leaning against A.J.’s leg. “What’s that?”

“I don’t know what they actually call it but Kassie refers to it as the watch list. The nurses come in every thirty minutes to check her vitals and make sure she’s comfortable, being on bed rest with six kids is painful as well as draining,” Rider sighed as he surveyed her from head to toe. “As you can see, they are—taking all her nutrition, all her life.”

“She’s tough,” Tiffany smiled and patted Rider’s leg proudly. “She’s a very strong girl, she’s very brave.”

“She is, I thank God every day for—“ Rider was affectionately rubbing a small spot on her large stomach when Kassie gasped and jerked awake, the monitor above their heads beeped repeatedly, warning them of an emergency going on within her.

“Rider!” she gasped his name is terror, she hadn’t sounded so scared her whole life. Her hand instantly wrapped around a small portion of her stomach. “The babies!”

“Get the doctors!” Rider jumped from the hospital bed and looked on helplessly as Kassie groaned and screamed in agony. A.J. hurried from the room in a panic searching for the doctors and nurses that were on call, Tiffany stayed against the wall with her hands covering her mouth, shock and fear freezing her from helping in any way.

After the doctors and nurses rushed into the room and escorted Tiffany and Rider who fought to stay at Kassie’s side away, they had went straight to work on finding out why her heart rate beat so frantically and then plummeted lowly. Rider paced outside in the hallway outside the room where the whole crew on the second floor prepped Kassie, checked the kids and stabled out Kassie’s heart rate. But it didn’t seem to work. The door to the room Kassie was inside, flung open and the hospital staff inside including Kassie rushed out wheeling her in her bed. “What are they doing?” A.J. asked as he grabbed hold of Rider’s shoulder and pushed him to a running start after their retreating figures.

“Where are you taking her?” Rider shouted as he ran after them, A.J. at his side and Tiffany behind them hesitantly running, she was still in shock.

“Hey! He’s talking to you! Don’t ignore us!” A.J. shouted as he ran up to one of the doctors pushing the bed and grabbed him by the collar of his medical coat. “Tell me what the hell is going on!?”

“Please get your hands off of me, sir,” the doctor pulled himself away and began walking backwards, half of the reason was he was needed by the others and the other half because A.J. towered over the small man. “Mrs. Bouvier is going to have an emergency cesarean surgery, the children’s heart rates have dropped and there is a risk of losing one or more, and we believe that the umbilical cord is wrapped around one of the children’s neck—we had a quick ultrasound look and there is an immediate danger—so if you’ll excuse me—there will be someone out shortly to talk to you.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Banner

Aw hell, comment and let me know what you think!