Status: Updated regularly

Dark Rider

.29

“Read which is yours,” Rider called out but the kids didn’t seem to get it and ran to each bundle, leaving Kassie, Rider, Tiffany and A.J. to go and point out which stack was whose. “This is yours baby.”

“Oh! I got a baby doll just like Diane!” Lucille shouted as she held up an infant look-alike doll that burped, peed and ate just like every other child only less messy.

“Except Diane isn’t a baby doll, she’s a real baby,” Tiffany laughed as she pulled their infant daughter from the car seat, she had just woke and was crying a bit. “Oh hush sweetie, mommy’s here, calm down.”

“That’s how Christina was,” Kassie commented with a laugh as she reached over and smoothed out the silky fuzz on the child’s head. “She always cried, but for her father.”

“I can’t help it I’m loved,” Rider joked from the floor where he was sprawled out trying to help Beau open up his remote control racecar package. “Son, I don’t think they wanted us in this—“

Kassie grinned at the trouble Rider was having but decided he could handle it and focused on the kids, each one was smiling and giggling, having fun but one small child in the corner. “Theodora, baby aren’t you happy with what Santa brought you?”

“Yeah,” she said softly as she trudged through all the ripped up wrapping paper that littered the floor and stood before Kassie, her hands resting on Kassie’s knees. “But he didn’t bring what I really wanted.”

“What is it that you really wanted?” Kassie felt horrible, she thought she had gotten everything that she had told Santa she wanted; apparently she missed out on a detail or two.

“A little sister,” she rubbed her nose, trying to make it not very obvious that she was about to cry. Kassie tilted her head to the side and placed her hand on Theo’s chin, tilting it up so she looked her in the eyes.

“Baby, Santa can’t bring you a little sister,” she spoke softly to her child, the crush of disappointment in her child’s eyes was enough to set her mood back from cranky to crappy. “How long have you wanted a baby sister?”

“Since Diane was borned,” she spoke weakly as she sniffed, a few tears escaping her emerald green eyes.

Somehow, Kassie considered her confiding to be somewhat of a clue to her recent sadness, Kassie and Rider had told all of the kids about their sister that didn’t make it out of surgery when they were first born, but when Diane was born. Kassie had admitted that having another child would be wonderful, but she couldn’t do that to get rid of the pain over the loss of Shaylah. She realized that Theo had overheard her speaking to A.J. about it. “Baby, is this because of when I told uncle A.J. I wanted another baby or because you think having another sister would be a replacement for Shaylah?”

“Shaylah, so you won’t cry anymore,” Theo’s bottom lip began to shake, making Kassie herself, tear up and glance around for help from either Rider or A.J. and both men looked shaken and in shock from the child’s act of selflessness.

“Baby, I cry because I think—if she made it, that you all would have another sister to play with and love, I don’t cry because I want to have another to make me happy—I’m happy with you and your sisters and brothers,” Kassie pulled Theo into her lap and held onto her as she cried. “I love every one of you guys.”

“We love you to mommy,” simultaneously they called out their love for their mother, as well as Rider, A.J. and Tiffany.

“Guys,” Kassie cried laughing softly. “Your making me cry on Christmas, this isn’t fair!”
♠ ♠ ♠
Fin.

Comment and let me know how it ended?

Banner