We Must Be Careful Who We Pretend To Be

Where is the Road I Follow

Ellie stared sadly out the window. I noticed that she was upset. Hell, I was upset too. I scrolled through my I-Pod before settling on the best sad bastard music I could find: Something Corporate. I opened up my computer and worked on the finalities of the Fall Out Boy layout. That was the easiest way to get over someone, for me at least, too throw myself into work.

When we got back to the apartment, the answering machine was blinking. I hit the play button.

"Abby, it's Adam's assistant, Lily. Are you coming to LA? Call me."

"Were you hoping it was Will?" Ellie asked optimistically.

I just ignored her question and picked up the phone.

"Hi! Lily?"

"Abby! Hey!"

"I'm coming to LA."

"Awesome! What made you change your mind?"

"Let's just say that the only thing that I thought was keeping me back, well, he didn't want to keep me back."

There was silence on the line. Maybe I had gone overboard. It's not like Lily was my best bud, but I couldn't talk about it to Ellie. Lily interrupted my thoughts, breaking her silence.

"He's a crazy person."

"Thanks," I said softly. "So, when do you need me?"

"Well, I have a few days if you want to fly out tomorrow. I can show you around the city, help you find a place."

"Ok, I'll buy a ticket and give you a call."

"All right," she replied, "I'll see you tomorrow."

I hung up the phone and turned to face Ellie. Her face was streaked with tears as she stared at me in confusion. All of a sudden, I felt like a selfish piece of shit.

"So, you're really going to move?" she asked me.

"Ellie, this is the opportunity of a lifetime. Decaydance is a growing label. I'm being offered a position of a senior designer. I can't be an assistant all my life. I get paid nothing to do my boss's work for her."

"Are you sure that you're going for the right reasons?" she asked.

"Yes. I love you Ellie. I'm ready for a change. I just can't pass this up."

"Call Will before you go," she begged.

I turned to her, horrified. My face must have shocked her.

"What do you think I am? A glutton for punishment? I'm never putting my heart on the line again. Every time I take a chance, I get shot down. I was sure Will cared, I was wrong. He had all night and almost all day to change his mind. And he didn't. It was a nice dream, Ellie. But, I woke up to reality."

"I don't want you to go, but if you have to, I can't hold you back."

I just nodded and went into my room. I bought my ticket and called Lily. Then, I began to pack my things.
♠ ♠ ♠
comments please!!!!!