We Must Be Careful Who We Pretend To Be

I Don't Fall In Love Lawlessly

Ellie opened the door and pulled me inside.

"So, you backed out?" she squealed.

"Opportunity of a lifetime. What was I thinking?" I grumbled. "I even got a call from the great Pete Wentz himself trying to talk me into taking the job."

"Are you serious?"

"Yes! I told him I'd be happy to do freelance for him, but that I wasn't ready to move to LA," I said, smacking myself in the head. "Gawd, he sounded even hotter than he looks!"

"He is hot. So, Boston?"

"I just don't know."

"Come on! It's you and me...best friends forever!"

"You idiot, you sound like you're in junior high. Besides, I don't have a job."

"You'll find one. I'll cover your part of the rent until you do. Please???"

I sighed, then said what was really on my mind.

"And how am I supposed to deal with Will?"

"You won't see him that much" she said, handing me a box.

"But it gets cold out there."

"Oh, stop making excuses. Besides, I already found an awesome 2 bedroom, it's 1400 square feet and costs as much as this place."

I cringed, terrified of making the move. No job, no family...brand new.

"Ok."

So, the next thing I knew, I was in Boston, looking at the awesome apartment Ellie had found. All the boxes had been delivered and I stared at my box covered bedroom. Ellie had it painted the same shade of green as my old room. Green like an alien had been slaughtered in there. The window had a beautiful view of a tree-lined street. It was August, and the weather was hot and muggy. I pushed a piece of hair off of my sticky forehead and opened up a box. I smiled at the contents. There were tons of photos I had taken over the years. I had a knack for photography; call it an artist's eye. I began to hang my photos. I came to the last photo and stopped. It was a picture of Will, sitting on the grass at Golden Gate Park with his arms wrapped around his long legs. He was looking away from me with that oh so Will smirk. I hesitated, but hung the black and white print on the wall along with all my other pictures. Ellie walked in, carrying another box.

"This came for you today," she said, handing me the box.

"Oh my god!" I cried, recognizing the logo on the box. I tore it open to reveal the new Fall Out Boy album with my artwork. There were several cd's and a handwritten thank you note from Pete.

"What does it say?" Ellie asked excitedly.

"It says Dear Abby, Here's the album with the awesome artwork you did for us. There's also a Clandestine hoodie for you. If I can't get you in LA, I guess you'll just be flying a lot. I'd love to keep you on as a Free-lance artist. Adam agrees. You'll be hearing from us. XXOO Peter Wentz."

Ellie pulled out the brown hoodie. "This is so cute!"

"Am I interrupting something? The door was open."

I turned to see Will standing there, leaning in the doorjamb. My heart caught in my throat. I don't think I was ready to see him. He smirked and walked inside.

"Oh, I just got some of the new Fall Out Boy albums from Pete. See?" I said, handing one to him, waiting for his reaction.

"This is incredible," he remarked. He looked up and caught my eyes. He averted his gaze quickly.

Awkward, this is how I expected it to be. Him not looking at me, me trying to act like nothing was wrong, I began to wonder if this is how it would always be.

"Thank you," I said.

"So, how is Pete?"

"I wouldn't know. I only talked to him on the phone once. He's a busy man."

Rob came in my room carrying a soda. He and Ellie quickly disappeared leaving Will and I alone. He cleared his throat and looked at the floor.

"Look, just forget about everything I said. I don't want to lose you as a friend," I said quickly.

Will walked towards the window, looking out.

"I can't forget, Abigail."

"Please, just call me,"

He interrupted me, "You're not Abby to me and I don't want to be your friend."

I took it off of first instinct and got angry.

"Then why the hell are you here?" I snarled.

He came and stood in front of me, putting his hands on my elbows.

"You misunderstood me, Abigail. I want to be with you."

I stared up at his blue eyes, they seemed sincere.

"Then why the whole age/sister thing?"

"I'm really feeling stupid about that. I guess I just freaked out. Look."

He pulled a piece of paper out of his pocket and handed to me. I looked closely. It was a plane ticket for the flight I left on.

"Why do you have this?" I asked.

"I came after you."

"You were too late. You're still too late," I murmured.

Will's face fell, but I felt nothing. I swore not ever to put my heart on the line, and I wasn't going to take this chance. I couldn't play games. I was tired of it. So, I ignored the voice in my head screaming to just let go. Remember, I'm a cynic and nothing ever goes my way.

"I think you'd better go," I told him.

"No, Abigail, I'm not letting you go again," he said in an authoritative tone.

He grabbed me and pulled me roughly to him. His head dipped and his lips covered mine. My heart skipped a beat, as we kissed. My world began to spin from the intensity of my emotions. Will pulled away, now gently, and looked down at me with those blue eyes.

"You're not walking away from me. Be my girl, Abigail."

I melted. I couldn't help but lose myself in him.

"Ok."

"What?" he asked.

"I said ok."

His face lit up and he kissed me again.

"You're not going to regret this."
♠ ♠ ♠
comments are wonderful!