We Must Be Careful Who We Pretend To Be

I'm Walking After You

A week later, and I was in heaven. Will and I were sitting in the coffee shop at school on one of our breaks. He was sitting very close, his arm around me. He leaned in and kissed me, making the butterflies swarm in my stomach. Everything was perfect.

"I've got a surprise for you," he said, an evil smile on his face.

"What?" I asked.

"If I told you, it wouldn't be a surprise."

I smiled suggestively, moving my hand high up his leg.

"Are you sure you don't want to tell me?"

He put his hand on mine and moved it away.

"You dirty girl! You think you can persuade me with sex?"

I shrugged, flashing him a brilliant smile.

"Oh, you're not getting that until the timing is perfect," he said with an malevolent grin.

"Are you sure I couldn't talk you into it?" I asked, kissing him gently on the neck.

"I have something called "willpower" woman. I'm going to make you wait for it."

I pouted. I knew he was right to wait for a little while. But, during all of our make-out sessions, it was beginning to be difficult to control ourselves. Will made me swoon. We went out with Rob and Ellie, but were completely preoccupied with each other. I knew I had to fly out to LA the next day, but I hadn't told him yet. You know how it can be with a new relationship. You never want to leave their side. In fact, if you could remain attached at the lips, it would be a gift.

"Um, I have a surprise for you too, babe."

"What?" he asked, taking a sip of his coffee.

"I'm leaving for LA tomorrow. I'll be gone for three days."

Will just gaped at me. "And you waited until now to tell me?"

"I'm sorry. It was kind of a last minute thing. I've got a meeting with Adam."

"Who's Adam?"

"He's my art director."

"Oh."

We sat in uncomfortable silence.

"I'm sorry, Will."

"I can't believe you waited to tell me until now. I got us tickets to see the Strokes in New York on Saturday. I had a whole romantic weekend planned."

"I wish I could go."

"Can't you cancel? Or go when we come back?"

"I can't. I'm sorry. Pete has a tight schedule and he wants to see what I'm doing.

"I thought you said you were meeting with Adam?"

"I am, Adam and Pete."

"Why did you choose to leave Pete out earlier?" he asked suspiciously.

"I didn't even think about it. I don't usually meet with him. Why are you acting so crazy?"

"Because you're my girlfriend and I don't even know what you do when you fly out there. And, you kept it from me like it was a secret!"

"Stop being such a hothead! I was so preoccupied with you, I didn't even think about it."

"Or, you have something out there that you don't want me to know about."

"How dare you!" I exclaimed angrily. "I would never keep anything from you."

"Are you sure about that?"

"Yes! I love you stupid! Why would I lie to you?"

"I love you too," he said quietly.

"Well, if we love each other, then why are we arguing about this?" I cried.

Will sat there, arms crossed, angry.

"Will?"

"What?" he growled.

"Why are we arguing?"

"I want to spend time with you and you're always so damn busy. Every time I turn around you're working."

"You knew this! You knew I was hyper obsessive about work. Stop acting like it's something new!"

"Sue me, I thought things would change."

"You know what Will, I'm going home. When you come to your senses, call me."

I got up and left Will sitting there, still angry. I'm not good at this relationship stuff. I don't know, maybe I need to lay off the work. It's hard because things are finally starting to go my way. Teaching is nice, but I'm becoming so successful through Decaydance. I guess I thought Will would understand.

My phone didn't ring all night. I was making myself some coffee early the next morning before I took off to LA. I grabbed my cup, suitcase, and computer, hollering a quick goodbye to Ellie. I opened the door to Will, standing there, hand poised, ready to knock.

"Walk with me," I murmured.

Will fell in step with me.

"I'm sorry, Abigail. I was being an ass."

"I know. I was too. I just want us to be happy Will. You do make me happy, but this is my job. You have to trust me. I'm with you."

"I wish I could take last night back. I guess I'm a little sensitive when in comes to cheating."

"I would never cheat."

"I know. I just want to be with you."

We reached my car and I threw my stuff in the trunk. Then, I put my arms around Will, looking into his eyes.

"Will Harrington, I promise you, I will tell you when I have to go back as soon as I know. I can't believe that the first time we said, "I love you" was blown off during an argument. I love you and I would never do anything to hurt you on purpose. I'm coming back on Thursday. I'm all yours as soon as I get back. I will do anything you want."

"Anything?" he asked, eyebrow raised suggestively.

"You dork, drive me to the airport."

Will got behind the wheel and started my car. I sat down next to him and leaned forward for a kiss. He kissed me sweetly, pushing my hair behind my ear.

"I can't wait until Thursday."
♠ ♠ ♠
I would love some more comments