We Must Be Careful Who We Pretend To Be

The Deception

He turned on his heel and nearly ran out of the room. Ellie watched him go and then approached me.

"What just happened?" she asked me.

"Something that shouldn't have."

"Did you kiss Will?"

"I'm sorry, don't hate me."

"Oh my god Abby!"

"Why did I do that?"

Ellie grabbed my hand and pulled me into my bedroom.

"I'll tell you why you did it," she said. "It's because you love him. It tears you up to see him with someone else."

"I do love him. And I hate her. They have nothing in common. Don't you find it odd that she didn't want him to go visit her parents?"

"Ok, not to get your hopes up or anything, but I hate her too. So do my parents. But, he seems to like her for some odd reason. Tell me, what are you going to do about this?"

"Nothing. It's all up to him now. If he really wants to marry a man duh, then I can't do anything about that."

"Oh, I'll help!" Ellie said excitedly.

"I'm not doing anything, Ellie. I'm not getting involved, or he'll end up resenting me."

"That doesn't mean I can't," she pouted.

"Just don't drag me into it."

"You're going to be my sister-in-law, you just wait and see."

"I doubt it," I smiled. You couldn't help but love Ellie.

Ellie decided it was time to get to know her brother's fiancé better. They were at a bridal shop and Amanda was trying on dresses.

"So, what do you love about Will?"

"He's just so sweet and kind. I just feel safe. He'll take care of me."

Ellie nodded.

"So, are you in love with him?"

She gave Ellie a dirty look.

"Of course I love him!"

"That's not what I asked. I asked if you were in love with him. Do you think he's in love with you?"

"I'm in love with him and I know he's in love with me. He'd do anything for me."

Ellie just nodded.

"So, are you going to become a vegan?"

"No!" Amanda exclaimed, a hint of disdain in her voice.

"I'm surprised. Did Will ask you about it?"

"No, I'm sure he's ok with it. He loves me for who I am. Why are you being so mean?"

"I'm not mean, just overprotective. Why did you go to Florida without him?"

All of a sudden, Amanda looked frazzled.

"Ummm, my parents didn't know I was engaged."

"So, why didn't you bring Will?"

"I just know my parents."

"You know it really hurt him."

"I never meant to hurt him."

"Well, he was ok. He came over to my party."

All of a sudden, Amanda looked interested.

"Did he have a good time?"

"I don't know, he was talking to Abby the whole time."

"God! Abby? What is it with that girl? He's my fiancé! I wish she'd just leave Will alone," Amanda whined.

"You see, that's what you don't understand. Will and Abby are really close. I really think that you telling him he can't be around her just makes him resent you."

"He has been really distant since I came back."

Ellie smiled. She knew why and it wasn't resentment.

"You know, Abby really isn't all that bad. She's a really good person and she'd never do anything to get in between you and Will. If you can put up with Will, you should be able to put up with her."

"Why is that?"

"Because they are exactly alike."

"What? Will is nothing like her."

This was just the moment Ellie was waiting for.

"Then you don't know the real Will."

Amanda was quiet for a few minutes. She went back into the changing room and took the dress off. She came back out and looked at Ellie, obviously disconcerted.

"My sister called while I was in the changing room. So, I'm going to go see her, if that's ok with you."

"That's fine. I've got plans with Abby anyways."

Ellie watched Amanda pull out feeling completely satisfied.
♠ ♠ ♠
ello! Comments are loverly, don't you think?