We Must Be Careful Who We Pretend To Be

A Fairytale Wedding...

I got ready the day of the wedding like I was getting ready for a funeral. I took special care with my hair and make-up. When I got to the church, Ellie was standing out front, looking around. I walked up.

"Abby!"

"Ellie! I can't believe you talked me into this."

"Have you talked to Will?"

"No, why?" I asked.

"Just wondering," she murmured.

I walked inside and Ron escorted me to a seat on Will's side. I looked around at all the pink roses and white lace. It made me want to puke. We waited for what seemed like forever I kept looking at my cell phone. 15 minutes…half hour…40 minutes late. Finally, a man I didn't recognize walked to the front of the church. He looked at the floor and cleared his throat.

"Ladies and gentlemen, I'm sorry to say, Amanda just told me. There isn't going to be a wedding today."

A gasp went through the crowd. Everyone was looking around at each other. I sat back in shock.

"Please, take any gifts home with you and we'll send back any that have been sent. I'm really sorry for the inconvenience, thank you."

He bowed his head and walked out of the church. Everyone slowly began to get up. I stayed there, sitting, not breathing. I was shaken from my daze when Rob came and sat next to me.

"So…Abby"

"Rob…" I whispered.

"He didn't go through with it."

"I gathered that. Is he ok?"

"No, he's not, but he will be."

My heart ached for Will and what he must be going through. Rob grabbed my arm and helped me up, leading me out of the church.

"How could he do this to me?" Amanda cried, her body sagging onto the couch.

It was a sad sight, this young woman in a wedding dress, face tearstained, make-up running, clutching a tissue. She looked up at Ellie who stood there uncomfortably.

"I'm sorry Amanda, why don't you let me help you out to the car."

Amanda nodded and Ellie, her mom, and Amanda's mom got her to stand up. When she got to the parking lot, they saw Abby standing in front of her car, talking to Rob. Ellie grimaced, waiting for the explosion.

"Well, at least they aren't together," Amanda whispered.

Ellie just nodded. They got Amanda and her mother into the limo and watched it take off.

"I hope she can handle it when they are," Ellie said, looking at Mary.

"Do you really think they will?" Mary asked.

"I don't think, I know."

"I do too," George announced from behind them. "Now, let's go home woman. We've had enough drama for the day."

Ellie hugged her parents and they made their way to the car. Ellie approached Rob and Abby.

"How is she?" Abby asked
.
"How do you think? She's distraught. But, she'll see one day, Will did the right thing."

"Let's go home," Rob said, "Abs, can we catch a ride?"

"Sure," I replied, distracted.

Abby found herself sitting out on the patio, thinking. Rob and Ellie were spending some "alone time." Her cell phone rang.

"Abby Martin."

"Abby! How was the wedding?"

"Adam! Hi! Terrible. There was no wedding. Bride left at the alter and everything."

"No shit!"

There was a beep on the line. Abby looked at the caller id.

"Adam, I've got to go. I've got an important call coming in."

"Ok."

I hung up the call quickly. I tried to ignore the guilt.

"Will?"

"Abigail."

Will sounded tired.

"How are you?" she asked tentatively.

"I need you."

"Ok, where are you?"

"Home."

"I'll be there in a few minutes."

I hung up the phone, pulled on a hoodie, grabbed my keys and took off.