We Must Be Careful Who We Pretend To Be

More Baggage than a Commercial Flight

I came out of the shower, with my long dark hair wet and water droplets still clinging to my body. Ellie was sitting on the bed waiting patiently.

"Abby, I need a favor."

I eyed her warily. "What is it this time?"

"I got a call from Mike, he wants to see me."

"God, that asshole? Why?"

"I don't know. I'm going to lunch with him."

I knew my face fell. "Oh. So, what's the favor, you want me to sit on my ass all day?"

"No! I want you to go have lunch with Will. I'll drop you off at his school."

My disappointment quickly turned into excitement. I was getting time alone with Will. I tried to cover it quickly.

"Do I have to?"

"Abby, please!" Ellie whined.

"Fine, whiner."

"Thank you!" she cried, throwing her arms around me. "You are the best friend a girl could have."

"Yeah, well you owe me."

"Anything!"

I took special care getting ready. I carefully applied make-up, dried and styled my hair into soft waves. I dug through my suitcase, angry at myself for not packing anything other than jeans, t-shirts and hoodies. I finally decided on jeans and a blue t-shirt with a tree with ravens and skulls.

"Are you ready?" Ellie said as she bounced into the room. She stopped short and looked oddly at me. "You look different. What's different?"

I blushed. "My hair isn't straight."

"Well, it looks good. Come on."

I followed Ellie and got into the car. I plugged in her I-Pod and turned on Deathcab. I sang along softly as we drove towards the city. Ellie turned into a parking lot and stopped at a walkway.

"Will is in room 34, right over there."

I slid out of the car and looked at Ellie.

"You owe me."

"I know. Tell Will that I'm sorry."

I shut the door and made my way to room 34. I opened the door and peeked in. There was a pretty blonde and her friend standing at Will's desk. Will smiled brightly.

"Abigail! Come in!"

I entered the room and made my way over the desk. The girls gave me a dirty look.

"So, Professor Harrington, can I get extra help on my paper?" the blonde asked.

"Well, Ashley, you'll have to come during my office hours. Abigail and I have a date right now."

"It's just a lunch," I said shyly

"Ok, ladies, out!" Will ordered.

I watched him as he gathered his things. He was wearing jeans and a black sweater. I loved the way his hair fell in his face. Will turned and flashed me a grin that made my heart pound.

"Ready?"

"Sure."

He put his arm around me and we walked out to his car and got in. I didn't know what to make of his behavior. Maybe he was attracted to me also.

"So, Ellie's meeting with Mike?"

"Yeah, I don't know why," I said sourly.

"He's not so bad. They only broke up because of the distance. You didn't see them before she moved away."

"I guess I should give the guy a chance."

He gave her a sideways look. "You are so different from Ellie, I'm surprised you two get along."

"Eh, opposites attract, don't they?"

"Not from my experience. I guess it depends on the person."

He pulled up to a pub called O'Riley's and got out. Again, Will put his arm around me and I wanted to pass out. We walked inside and sat down. A tall, handsome, Hispanic guy walked up to us.

"Yo! Will, what's up?"

"Hey Rob," he said, "This is my kid sister's best friend, Abigail."

"Hey, Abigail," Rob said, shaking her hand. "Nice to meet you. So, are you Cali born and raised?"

"It's Abby, by the way, and yes I am. Why do you ask?"

"You've got a tan and it's the dead of winter."

I laughed at him. "I gave myself away."

"So where is the lovely Ellie?"

"Ummm, she's indisposed at the moment," Will said nervously, giving me a look that said, "don't say anything."

"Oh, I was hoping she'd be here."

So, I just sat there with a blank expression as he joined us. To be quite honest, I was annoyed. I guess I had been hoping to have Will all to myself. I sat back while they talked. My thoughts began to wander to the CD design I had been working on. They continued to talk as I grabbed a napkin and began to sketch. A few minutes later I was completely consumed with my art.

"What are you working on?"

I looked up at Will who was examining my picture.

"Oh, I have to have a few thumbnails done for this CD I might work on. I've got the opportunity for a freelance job with Island/Def Jam records for the new Fall Out Boy album."

"Are you serious?" Rob said, appearing astounded.

"Well, I'm up against their usual designers. But, Pete saw my work for the new Saves the Day album and loved it. So, they called me. This could be an opportunity of a lifetime. I could get a chance to work for Decaydance."

"Wow! That's awesome," Rob said. "Where are they based?"

"Well, they are a part of Fueled by Ramen which is in Florida, but there is a distinct possibility that if they wanted, I'd be in LA."

"By they, do you mean Pete Wentz?" Will asked, his hand over his mouth as he eyed me."

I got the impression that he didn't like what I was saying.

"Well, yah."

I took a drink of my beer and Will quickly changed the subject.

"So, how do you like Boston?"

"It's really only my first day here. But, my first impression? It's fucking cold."

Will laughed. "It's not that cold."

"Yes it is! There's snow!"

"Just because there's snow, doesn't mean that it's cold," he smirked.

"Ok, weather man, you had to take science I'm sure. Snow is frozen precipitation. Frozen is cold" I replied, playing devil's advocate.

He leaned in close, eyebrows raised, still smirking. God he looked sexy.

"Are you sure you're not just a pussy?"

"What are you saying?" I flirted, pursing my lips together and raising my eyebrows right back.

"That you've been spoiled by California weather. You probably couldn't even handle a simple snow fight!"

"Yes I could!"

"Prove it! There's a park outside."

I got up, putting on my jacket and scarf, "You're on Will Harrington."

There was a sparkle in his eyes as we began to leave.

"Um, I guess I'll see you later," Rob called after us.

"Later!" Will cried.

We got outside and I grabbed a handful of snow, pegging Will right in the chest.

"Oh, you don't know how to make a good snowball, Caligirl," he retorted, picking up snow.

I grabbed more and began to run away. And, just like me, I tripped and fell flat on my face. Will rushed over to me.

"Are you ok?" he asked, obviously worried. He kneeled over me.
It was then that I pulled his sweater out and shoved my handful of snow down it. He yelled and flew to his feet.

"See, I know how to deal with snow."

"Ok, you win. Truce?" he asked, holding his hand out.

"Truce," I replied proudly, taking his hand and letting him pull me up. He must have expected me to be heavier, because when he pulled me up, I fell into him. Taking advantage of the situation, I wrapped my arms around his waist, hugging him.

"Thanks for the lesson, East Coast Pale Guy," I said, letting go.

"Come here," he replied, putting his arms around me, holding me tightly. The next thing I knew, he was shoving snow down the back of my shirt. I squealed at the shock.

"I told you it was cold! So much for a truce!" I pouted.

"I couldn't let you go without revenge," he smiled.

My cell phone rang and I saw it was Ellie.

"Hey!"

"So, is my brother being nice to you?"

"No," I smirked, looking at him, "He dumped snow down my back."

"Let me talk to him."

I handed Will the phone. "OOOh, you're in troooooouble."

I watched him as they talked.

"She neglected to mention that she dumped snow down the front of me first…No!...Shut up, Ellie, you're acting like a child. I don't…You're wrong…I'm being normal…I don't know what you're talking about…Here's Abigail."

He handed the phone back to me.

"Will has a crush on you."

"No, he doesn't. He doesn't even know me."

She laughed, "That's why it's a crush."

"You've got it all wrong, Elle."

"So, I'll see you back at the house for dinner?"

"Yeah, I'm sure I will."

"Ok, bye."

I hung up the phone and shrugged at Will.

"Your sister's a genuine wac job."

"Yeah, look, I'll take you back to the house. I've ugh...got some things to do."

I nodded, caught off guard by his change in demeanor. I followed him back to his car where there was an awkward car ride back. When we got back to the house, he mumbled something about "later," and took off the second I shut the door. My mood was ruined. I crunched through the snow up to the front door. Both George and Mary were at work, so I sat down on a chair on the porch, waiting for someone to come home.
I froze until about 4:00 when Ellie pulled up.

"Why are you sitting on the porch?" she asked.

I shivered. "Will dropped me off about an hour ago."

"I'm sorry!" she cried. "That is so typical of him."

"It's cool, I survived," I replied, still slightly confused.

Ellie unlocked the door and I followed her into the house which was uncomfortably hot since I was so cold. I sat on the couch and Ellie brought me a Coke.

"Look, there's something you should know about Will."

"What?" I got this nervous vibe from her. "Does he change into a Werewolf or something?"

"No," she laughed, but changed serious quickly. "Will hasn't had a girlfriend for like, 10 years."

"Will?" I asked, amazed that someone as great as him could be single for so long.

"This is between you and me. He'd kill me if he knew I was telling you this. Will was engaged."

"What?" I cried.

"He met this girl in college, Christa. He fell head over heels for her and they eventually got engaged. The night before their wedding, he had his bachelor party. He wanted to go see her. Well, let's just say he found her in a very compromising position."

"She was cheating on him?"

"Big time, for like a year."

"Poor Will."

"Now, he's afraid to get involved with anyone. You and he are really two peas in a pod, in more ways than one."

I didn't know what to say. I felt so badly for Will. Ellie was watching me and it made me feel strange. So, I just nodded.

"I'm going to go work," I said, and escaped upstairs to the safety of my G4 Powerbook.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey! Comments would be awesome!!!