We Must Be Careful Who We Pretend To Be

We Are Who We Pretend to Be

"Yeah?"

"Abby, where are you?" Ellie cried.

"Ha, in front of Will's house feeling strangely reminiscent of a psycho ex."

"I'm coming to get you."

"I think I'm going to walk down to the corner."

"Are you, Abigail?" said a voice from behind me.

"Shit!" I said sheepishly.

"What?" Ellie asked.

"I've been caught."

"Well, go in and talk to him, I'm on my way."

"No, Elle, don't, I'm walking away...now."

I hung up the phone and waved embarrassedly.

"Night," I said, and began to walk again.

"You really should wait for Ellie."

"I'll live," I grumbled, even though my feet were really starting to hurt from walking in my heels.

"Then let me take you home."

My heart ached. I wanted to go with him. So, I shook my head and continued walking.

"God dammit Abigail! Just stop! It's not safe."

"What do you want? A badge of honor?" I snapped.

"Abigail, come on. Stop being so childish."

"I hate you Will!" I cried over my shoulder.

"Good night, Abigail."

I stopped in my tracks, shocked that Will had stopped. I turned slightly to see him retreating to his house. I looked around for something to hit, and when I found nothing, continued to walk. Later, there was a honk beside me. I turned to see Ellie in her car.

"Get the fuck in the car."

I didn't fight it and got in the passenger seat. She stared at me and I turned away.

"Ellie, I'm going crazy."

"It's because my stupid brother can't make up his damn mind, or that he wants to make you squirm. I don't know. Maybe you should call Adam," she ranted.

Ellie popped a u-turn and started to drive down the street.

"Where are you going?" I gasped, starting to panic.

"You two are going to do this...now."

"No!"

"Courage to confront! That's what my Dad always says."

She pulled back up to Will's house.

"Get out."

"No!"

"Get out, Abby."

I stubbornly sat in the seat.

"Agibail Martin, if you don't get out of this car, I'll…"

"You'll what?"

"I'll tell Will to move on."

"He already has, Ellie."

"Ohmygod! When did he say that? You two are way too much alike! Get out!"

"No!"

"Abby, you're being stupid. You're only going crazy because you don't know what's going on. If you go in there and talk, maybe you'll get some clarity."

She snatched my purse.

"If you don't go in there, I won't give you your cigarettes."

"Fine."

I looked at the porch and Will was standing there. He approached the car and Ellie rolled down the window.

"What the hell is going on," he demanded.

"You and Abby are going to hash it out, that's what's going on. I'm sick and tired of you two moping around and being miserable."

Will opened the door and I just stared at him. I gave him the no way look. So, he reached in and pulled me out of the car, throwing me over his shoulder.

"Thanks Ellie," he said gruffly, shutting the door.

He put me down inside his living room and closed the door. I stood there stubbornly.

"You and I, we're never going to happen," I announced.

"Is that what you want?" he asked.

I looked at Will, his body language was tense and his blue eyes, tired.

"I want to know what you want, Will. You have never told me."

"I did!" he cried. "And then, we both let it all go to shit."

"Tell me, please!" I begged.

"Why don't you tell me?"

"You are so lame! I love you! When we first got together, yeah, I loved my job more. It's been forever since I told you how I felt, and I've grown up a lot. I love you more, Will, I love you more," I cried passionately.

Will smiled slightly.

"Abigail, do you mean that?"

"Hell, I quit a rather lucrative job to try and prove it to you."

He just stepped forward and took me in his arms.

"I love you too, Abigail."

"But?"

"There is no but Abigail."

"Then what were you waiting for? It's been almost a week. I've been sitting in my room going crazy, waiting."

"I've been thinking about all the mistakes we've made in the past. It freaked me out. Look, if we do this, you can't keep holding back. We were together for almost a month and after the first week, we never even kissed anymore."

"I'm sorry. Things will be different this time."

"Abigail, promise me something. Promise me that you won't change like last time."

"What do you mean?"

"The Abigail I was with, she wasn't the one I fell for. You're crazy, and smart, and talented. You're stubborn and determined, that makes you sexy. By the way, you look absolutely stunning tonight."

I blushed and looked away.

"Move in with me."

"Isn't that kind of sudden? Especially after last time."

"Look, Abigail. I've got to trust you. If you're being honest with me, then there should be nothing to worry about. We've wasted so much time already. I'm turning thirty-four next week. I just want to be together." I looked at him, and the worry must have been obvious in my eyes. Will stepped forward.

"Wait. If you touch me, I won't be able to be honest. Will, I don't think we should move in yet."

"Why not?" he pouted.

"We have things to work through, Let's not make this hard. Believe me, I want to live with you. I just don't want things to be ruined."

He stepped forward again and awkwardly put his hand out to me. I smiled at him and took it. Will pulled me to him, putting his hand in my hair and burying his face in it. I just closed my eyes and took it all in, the feeling of his arms around me and his chest against my face. I was home.

"You're not leaving tonight," he murmured.

"I'm not?" I asked, looking up at him.

"Nope."

He leaned down and kissed me. Kissing Will was different from kissing anyone else. It was a strange mix of exhilaration and comfort. Then, the knot in my stomach tightened when I saw the way he was looking at me. His hand strayed to my shoulder and played absently with the strap of my dress. Did I neglect to mention that Will and I never got the chance to sleep together?

"Are you ok?" he asked me, concerned.

"Yeah. I believe I am."

"So do you want to?"

"Will," I smiled, "don't ask. Just go for it."

His mouth covered mine and we kissed, hard. Will picked me up and carried me to his bedroom where he set me down and looked at me. He unzipped my dress and pulled the straps down my arms. I stood there, embarassed, looking at the floor.

"You are so beautiful," he murmured, leaning down and kissing my shoulder. "I am never letting you go again."

I just smiled sweetly, letting my tension go.

"Good, because this time you're stuck with me, like it or not."

"I like it."

I looked into his eyes as he laid me on the bed. I could read those eyes like a book this time. This was it, him and me, me and him. This was love.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank ya! I've got a new one starting asap! Please comment! Muah