We Must Be Careful Who We Pretend To Be

Lord Knows I'm Weak

The next morning I woke up with a headache. I also woke up in the arms of Will. I carefully wriggled from his arms. I just watched him for a few minutes and brushed a piece of hair from his peacefully sleeping face. It was hard to believe it was even possible, but he was more handsome sleeping. His lips were pursed together, an arm behind his head.

I got up and took a shower, washing away the haze from last night. I took care in dressing myself and doing my hair. I went out in the kitchen, Ellie and Rob were at the table.

"So, did you have fun last night?" Ellie asked, an eyebrow raised.

I started to make breakfast for Will and me, giving her a look.

"Don't pull that bullshit on me, Ellie. I was passed out and woke up in my pajamas. Nothing happened."

"Well, it was worth a try."

"You're crazy you know?"

"And you're crazy for Will."

"Oh, shut up."

Ellie pecked Rob on the lips.

"I better get ready for work."

"Dammit, who drank my coffee?" I cried.

Rob gave me a sheepish grin.

"Dammit Roberto, if you're going to drink all of my coffee, at least make a new pot."

"Sorry, Abby."

Grumpily, I got a new pot started. It was Saturday morning and I hadn't had my coffee yet. They would all soon learn to not cross me without my morning coffee if they weren't careful. I went over and turned on the kitchen stereo, Sublime's Badfish came blasting out of the speakers. I sang loudly while I cooked. Rob looked over the newspaper.

"You know, your voice is pretty good," he remarked.

"Why thank you Mr. Martinez. It would be better if I had some coffee."

I made two cups of coffee and took one into Will.

"Will, it's about 9:30. Here's some coffee."

He grabbed me and pulled me down.

"Tell me, am I dreaming? I must be to be waking up to you," he murmured groggily.

He became to come closer like he was going to kiss me. So, I shook him.

"Will! Wake up!"

He blinked and sat up.

"Shit! What did I just say?"

"Oh, just something about teddy bears coming to kill you. Here's some coffee. Soymilk and two sugars, right?"

"You're not even my girl and you know how I take my coffee."

"I know, pathetic, isn't it?"

"Just slightly."

I playfully smacked him in the chest. "Shut up dick! Breakfast will be done in a few."

"Thanks."

I went back into the kitchen and finished breakfast. Will came shuffling in a few minutes later.

"Morning sunshine!" I announced.

"So, are we going to do something today?" Will asked.

"I'm sticking around here. Ellie's coming home for lunch," Rob said.

"I have to stop by the office and turn in some work, but other than that, I'm free."

"Then, you can show me around."

"Sounds good. Do you just want to come to work with me?"

"Sure."

"Well, don't take to long then slow poke."

We finally got out of the apartment around 11:00. I stopped by the print shop and picked up my prints, then I stopped by the office. Will followed me in.

"Good morning Abby! Oh! Who's this?"

"Hullo Jamie, this is Will, Ellie's brother."

"Hi, Will!" Jamie said excitedly.

"Too old for you Jamie."

"Oh, well, he's probably not gay either, considering the look on his face."

Jamie was heavyset with mutton chops and short blonde hair. I called him the gay leprechaun, because, well he was. He walled so stiffly that his head never turned. But, he was the sweetest guy in the world. I looked at Will, he did look shocked.

"Come on Will, you're a good-looking guy, you had to expect it," I laughed as I led him back to the meeting room.

"You think I'm good looking?" he asked with a self-satisfied sneer.

"Yeah, you are God's gift to women, William Harrington."

"I know."

I just shook my head.

"Hey Dan. Here's the mock ups for the Pristines."

My boss looked up from his work and grabbed the folder from me. He pulled the posters out and put them on the easels.

"Abby, where is your brain at?" he asked.

"What?"

"You've lost your edge. Maybe you need to lose the boyfriend."

"He's not my boyfriend," I said quickly. "I tried something edgy, remember? Marlowe shot it down. Said she wanted something "pretty"?"

"Oh, you're right. It's such a waste when Marlowe can't see real talent. Ok, go enjoy your time off. Sorry about the boyfriend comment. It really is about time you got one."

"Haha Dan, again, not my boyfriend."

I stormed out of the building, Will trailing behind me.

"Where do you want to go?" I asked.

"Let's go to Fisherman's Wharf."

"All righty."

I took Will sightseeing. We saw the Wharf, Alcatraz, where Will tried to lock me in a cell. We ended the day in Golden Gate Park. Will sat on the grass, looking across the Bay, me sitting beside him.

"So, Abigail, what's been going on with you?" he asked.

"Work. Same as always."

"Ellie was right."

"Right about what?" I asked cautiously.

"You work too much."

"Hey, it's all I've got."

"What about family?"

"Only child and my parents are off traveling in an RV somewhere. I don't see them too often."

Will just nodded. "I know I've said it too much, but I'll say it again. It's really good to be here with you Abigail."

"You do," I smiled, hugging my knees in the cool breeze. Will noticed and gave me his sweatshirt. It was warm and smelled like Tommy. I snuggled into it. "This is nice."

"What is?"

"Spending time with you. It's nice to have someone other than Ellie."

"So, when are you going to come out and see me?"

"Umm… don't know when I can get off of work."

"Come on, Abigail, make some time for me. I miss you."

His comment made me stop short. I just didn't respond for awhile. Then, I returned with.

"Maybe sometime in June or July."

"Good, you can stay with me."

"Will, what is this?"

"I don't know."
♠ ♠ ♠
Still hoping it will pick up before I give up.